Smoked ribs for the first time today...

Chris -
Zned - 

Is that one of the Traeger pellet grills?

i heard they are awesome.

A friend is a very popular IG smoker guy, he uses that Kamado Joe (sp), but says he wished he had a Traeger.

It is a Traeger and I can't speak highly enough of it.

Traeger is good and a really convenient way of smoking/cooking but never buy the Traeger brand wood pellets for your pellet smoker. They aren’t real wood. The pellets are flavored by oils of whatever wood you want like hickory oil, oak etc.. I know they are cheaper than other brands but it’s because they aren’t real wood. Try brands like lumberjack for wood pellets are you will see how much better the flavor is of your food.

Going Postal -
VirusHoax -

generally speaking if you have some kind of gear for charcoal and wood smoke (ideally mix of hickory and a fruit wood), i've found that if you do 3-2-1 method for st louis ribs, shorten an hour or so for baby back, that nothing else really matters. differences in rub and sauce offer variation, but there is no real point in over thinking it.

- apply rub and start the coals. if i am making ribs i'm going to do 2-3 racks so having more than one rub for variation. i usually will make a batch of basic rub so i'll do one of those and one of a store bought. last time it was trader joe's coffee rub

- when temp reaches 225, ribs on for 3 hours. 2 for baby back. no need to touch except maintain temp

- at time, wrap in foil, spray with cider or apple juice before sealing, back on 225 for 2 hours

- at time, unwrap, sauce (i usually use more than one here as well), raise temp for last hour to glaze and char. flip a couple times during this hour

its no fail shit. i have found every variation of rub/sauce to be awesome which leads me to not overthinking it and just using whatever i have

When you raise the temp for the last hour what temp are you looking for? Also, do you have to add coals during the cook to maintain temp? I haven't smoked ribs on my kettle yet, but I want to try it out sometime this summer.

3-2-1 method is pretty fool proof and for the last hour you probably don’t even need to worry about changing the temp much this last hour is for you to get a bit more bark on the ribs since they will be soggy from the foil and this is also the time to add sauce to the ribs and let it glaze over the meat.

Subbed for the pork belly burnt ends

Bobby91k -
Chris -
Zned - 

A friend is a very popular IG smoker guy, he uses that Kamado Joe (sp), but says he wished he had a Traeger.

Traeger is good and a really convenient way of smoking/cooking but never buy the Traeger brand wood pellets for your pellet smoker. They aren’t real wood. The pellets are flavored by oils of whatever wood you want like hickory oil, oak etc.. I know they are cheaper than other brands but it’s because they aren’t real wood. Try brands like lumberjack for wood pellets are you will see how much better the flavor is of your food.

This.  Lumberjack has been great and Amazon delivers them right to my door.

Also, I saw a Traeger at Costco recently for around $400.  It looked like it was built out of aluminum foil.  The $900 ones. Are built much better.  That said, I've been impressed with my pit boss' value and construction.

Also, ribs are the easiest thing you can smoke IMO.  Try a pork shoulder/ butt next.  Brisket takes more work.

i love ribs.

I could legit have BBQ food 5 days a week for life.

Bobby91k - 
Chris -
Zned - 

So when the package says 100% pure hardwood pellets, they are lying to their customers?

Going Postal -
VirusHoax -

generally speaking if you have some kind of gear for charcoal and wood smoke (ideally mix of hickory and a fruit wood), i've found that if you do 3-2-1 method for st louis ribs, shorten an hour or so for baby back, that nothing else really matters. differences in rub and sauce offer variation, but there is no real point in over thinking it.

- apply rub and start the coals. if i am making ribs i'm going to do 2-3 racks so having more than one rub for variation. i usually will make a batch of basic rub so i'll do one of those and one of a store bought. last time it was trader joe's coffee rub

- when temp reaches 225, ribs on for 3 hours. 2 for baby back. no need to touch except maintain temp

- at time, wrap in foil, spray with cider or apple juice before sealing, back on 225 for 2 hours

- at time, unwrap, sauce (i usually use more than one here as well), raise temp for last hour to glaze and char. flip a couple times during this hour

its no fail shit. i have found every variation of rub/sauce to be awesome which leads me to not overthinking it and just using whatever i have

When you raise the temp for the last hour what temp are you looking for? Also, do you have to add coals during the cook to maintain temp? I haven't smoked ribs on my kettle yet, but I want to try it out sometime this summer.

I have a char griller Akron which is essentially a big green egg knock off. Really I’ve found for the last hour the temp takes a while to climb so you aren’t looking for any specific temp. You are just looking for a hotter fire and by the time you achieve it the hour is likely over. I would guess 300 or so though would be optimal.

Really nice ring. I hate when the whole rib turns pink with smoke. 

Just bought 100 lbs of Lumberjack pellets. Looking forward to seeing a difference.....

Chris -
Bobby91k - 
Chris -
Zned - 

So when the package says 100% pure hardwood pellets, they are lying to their customers?

Yeah basically. https://amazingribs.com/new-recipes-reviews-articles-on-amazingribs-com/traeger-under-fire-mislabeled-wood-pellets

Chris -

Just bought 100 lbs of Lumberjack pellets. Looking forward to seeing a difference.....

Did you buy a blend or one wood? You won’t be disappointed and it seems like there’s less ashes from them also.

Bobby91k - 
Chris -

Did you buy a blend or one wood? You won’t be disappointed and it seems like there’s less ashes from them also.

20 lbs. of Pecan Blend

40 lbs. of Maple-Hickory-Cherry

40 lbs. Hickory

If you’re considering a Traeger, I would research RecTec. They don’t do nearly the amount of promoting Treager does, but you’ll be shocked at the comparisons and reviews. I was about to purchase a Traeger myself after a friend told me to check some reviews. I was completely blown away. Traeger seems to have lost touch with its customer base and is more focused on promoting their brand over doing what’s best for the customer. RecTecs customer service is insanely good, and the product is vastly superior. 

1 Like

Bobby91k -
Chris -

Have you tried Lumberjacks Char-Hickory pellets?  They sound interesting and im thinking about buying a bag

its a blend of 50% Red Oak, 40% Hickory, & 10% Charcoal

Dough Boy -
Bobby91k -
Chris -

Have you tried Lumberjacks Char-Hickory pellets?  They sound interesting and im thinking about buying a bag

its a blend of 50% Red Oak, 40% Hickory, & 10% Charcoal

No I haven’t tried that blend yet. Idk if I am sold with the charcoal in the wood pellets yet. I tried charcoal wood pellets from pit boss and it didn’t taste anything like charcoal and created a bunch of ash.

The competition blend from lumberjack is amazing though.

slumdog -

If you’re considering a Traeger, I would research RecTec. They don’t do nearly the amount of promoting Treager does, but you’ll be shocked at the comparisons and reviews. I was about to purchase a Traeger myself after a friend told me to check some reviews. I was completely blown away. Traeger seems to have lost touch with its customer base and is more focused on promoting their brand over doing what’s best for the customer. RecTecs customer service is insanely good, and the product is vastly superior. 

1000% this. I’ve had a Rec Tec before this whole electric smoker/Traeger thing sort of blew up and I agree with everything slumdog said.

Well as far as the RecTec vs. Traeger argument goes, I can't speak to that. I already have my Traeger Timerbline 1300 and the thing is awesome so far.

Bobby91k -
Chris -
Bobby91k - 
Chris -
Zned - 

Yeah basically. https://amazingribs.com/new-recipes-reviews-articles-on-amazingribs-com/traeger-under-fire-mislabeled-wood-pellets

Flushable wipes. Just cause they flush doesn't mean they're meant for that.

1 Like