Smokin Bert Cooper vs British Bare Knuckle Champ!

I think he killed him. 

I remember watching Bert Cooper destroy our Great White Canadian Hope on Wide World of Sports back in the 80's as part of a double feature including Holyfield vs Henry Tillman. Willie Dewitt, our Canadian silver medalist who got jobbed for the gold against Henry Tillman at the 84 games in the US, had his nose pulverized in the fight which was ended in round two. I remember it like it was yesterday!

I watch this every couple of months on YouTube, never gets old Phone Post 3.0

I always love watching this. Big difference in ability between a pro boxer and someones alcoholic dad that fights backyard brawls.

E55 Pilot - I always love watching this. Big difference in ability between a pro boxer and someones alcoholic dad that fights backyard brawls.

LOL THIS^^

That white guy has some long ass arms, I could see him being a problem on the cobbles.

God, can you imagine a pro boxer who dropped down to fight bare knuckles?

E55 Pilot - I always love watching this. Big difference in ability between a pro boxer and someones alcoholic dad that fights backyard brawls.

yep, nailed it

Bert lucky it was in a ring and not on the cobbles Phone Post 3.0

Ttt Phone Post

What was he the "bare knuckle champion" of...an old peoples home?? Phone Post 3.0

LOL I watched that this morning because if a video in another thread about Charles Bronson. Then I watched the one about the Guv'nah, that dude was a maniac Phone Post 3.0

I can't remember who it was but I remember Bert cooper going back and forth with another bald black guy in yellow shorts I think.
Bert fucked the dude up early and I couldn't believe the guy kept getting up. Yet the guy rallied back and ended up finished Bert in like round 8 or something coming off the ropes or out of the corner.

If any one knows the fight I'm talking about you've got to link me that shit, it was one of the first fights I saw and was blown away Phone Post 3.0

How did this get sanctioned? Phone Post 3.0

HandyDarsh - I can't remember who it was but I remember Bert cooper going back and forth with another bald black guy in yellow shorts I think.
Bert fucked the dude up early and I couldn't believe the guy kept getting up. Yet the guy rallied back and ended up finished Bert in like round 8 or something coming off the ropes or out of the corner.

If any one knows the fight I'm talking about you've got to link me that shit, it was one of the first fights I saw and was blown away Phone Post 3.0
Michael moorer? Phone Post 3.0

sgotwalks - 

I remember watching Bert Cooper destroy our Great White Canadian Hope on Wide World of Sports back in the 80's as part of a double feature including Holyfield vs Henry Tillman. Willie Dewitt, our Canadian silver medalist who got jobbed for the gold against Henry Tillman at the 84 games in the US, had his nose pulverized in the fight which was ended in round two. I remember it like it was yesterday!

Cooper's nickname should have been "The Human Reality Check." He had another fight in the small room at the Garden in 1997, where he was facing this undefeated guy named Richie Melito. Melito was 18-0, with only one of his wins, a four-rounder, going the distance. He had been some kind of high school sports star in NYC and was getting a big following. The place was packed with Eye-talians who all went crazy when he was annoucned. Cooper dropped him with a body shot early in the first and you could tell Melito had never felt anything like it in his life. He tried to give a game performance, but didn't even make it two minutes.

TFK_Tom O'Bedlam - God, can you imagine a pro boxer who dropped down to fight bare knuckles?

Yeah, Bobby Gunn has done it for one. He was a legit light heavyweight/cruiserweight fringe contender from Canada. He had a bunch of bare-knuckle fights. I saw a documentary about one of his shows. Him and a heavyweight journeyman, I can't remember the guys name, but I knew who he was from boxing when I saw the Doc. They were fighting these "tough guys" who had been recruited by from bars or wherever by degenerate gamblers who apparently know nothing about fighting and think a "barroom brawler" actually has some sort of chance against a boxer who has fought the likes of James Toney, Glen Johnson and Tomasz Adamek.

HandyDarsh - I can't remember who it was but I remember Bert cooper going back and forth with another bald black guy in yellow shorts I think.

Might have been Michael Moorer. He fought Moorer for the vacant WBO belt in like 1992. He dropped Moorer a couple of times and got dropped a couple himself before getting stopped. He also had a very rough 12-rounder with Ray Mercer, where he lost by decision, but both guys landed some big shots.

Cooper atually had Holyfield all but out on his feet when he challenged him in 1991. It was the first fight I watched after I got out of the army. I remember being in shock.