Smoking & BJJ

Anyone else smoke cigaretts and do BJJ? I've been on and off for years, maybe 10 a day. I tried a little experiment and quit smoking for a solid three months to see if it would help my game.

I'm back smoking again and i don't notice any negative physical or cardiovascular consequences. In fact my game has improved dramatically.

I would attribute that to training 4-6 times a week, not to smoking though, however i get the sneers and the strange disapproving looks from the guys at my academy when we hang out somewhere and i bust out a marl red.

So i was curious to hear what you guys think?

if you quit for 3 months why would you start again.... seems kinda stupid. you made it through the toughest times why start again even if you didnt notice a difference..... also i dont think you would notice a huge difference if you were already in good shape

ttt for the smokers

I dunno, I honestly know 2 guys and 1 girl who smoke and run marathons without breaking a sweat. I smoke usually when I drink and did lots on the weekend, but ran hills the next day and did 2 more than the closest competitor. Sparred 6x5min rounds MMA with no ill effect a few hours later. Not promoting it, just my experience.

i quit when i found a legit place to train BJJ. when i get really stressed out or end up tying one on i'll smoke but i definently feel the differnece the next time on the mat. try smoking shisha/nagila less tar and nicotine.

hahaha. I also smoke trees and do jitsu. Smoking trees and doing muay thai however is very bad. Trust me.

No different from eating Big Macs and super-size Cokes all day and then trying to be good at BJJ or anything else for that matter.

You may get "good"--totally relative term--but you will certainly be limiting yourself in BJJ and health in general.

John

I stopped smoking ciggs the night I started training. So I have been cigg free for almost 4 years now.

I dont know what the hell I was thinking smoking those things. I cant stand them now. I hate the smell and I hate people smoking them around me. I also hate seeing fine ass girls smoke, it kills it for me.

I do however, still smoke trees. I cant stop. I wont and none of you can make me.

I've also known of Thai Boxers who smoke as well.

smokers=stupid.

like puttng sugar inthe gastank of a ferrari. man up and admityour stupid...then quit.

it can only improve your game.
r

let's wait for Eddie Bravo to chime in with the definitive answer on this

Sugar in a cars gas tank doesn't work.

no no no..smoking is good,it improve your breathing. Don't let these guys tell you otherwise.

Actually, I only recommend smoking to those BJJ athletes that I might meet in competition:) For everyone else, I say avoid it like the plague.

John

The last time I competed, I started the morning off with 3 pieces of KFC, bicuits with the gravy smothered all over them, then finished off with 2 Newports. I took first place that day, in the super heavy weight/open class division.

Awesome Dawg. I hope that plastic trophy or little medal are compensation when the medical bills start piling up.

John

Smoking helps your bjj game. Your breath stinks so bad that your opponent taps just to breathe again.

"Awesome Dawg. I hope that plastic trophy or little medal are compensation when the medical bills start piling up. "

Nah not comphensation at all, I just lived a very unhealthy lifestyle at the time. Somehow I did okay at the time. I am trying to live a little healthier these days, I have quite smoking completely but I cant help but to have some KFC and biscuits & gravy here and there. Oh did I tell you guys that I knew this guy when I was in the Marines, smoked a pack of Newports a day, ate Hostess by the box loads, and ran sub 17:30 in a 3miler. He was just a genetic freak though. You can have some bad habits and still do okay in bjj but only while your young. The older you get the more you are going to feel tar in your lungs and gravy in your veins.

"I hate the smell and I hate people smoking them around me. I also hate seeing fine ass girls smoke, it kills it for me."

I couldn't have said it better myself! word to that statement!!!

"The lung cancer MAY possibly effect your cardio a little. But I'm not a personal trainer, so I'm not sure. "

That was a great responmse and so true!

Where do you train -what belt? Hard to believe you can smoke and train with good people...