Smoking & BJJ

I smoke and am slowing down. It doesn't effect me to much YET b/c I'm in really good shape. I PT everyday the Marine Corps way (bad joke) but I'm sure once I can totally kick the addiction I should be able to get in even better cardio shape. I did manage to quit for a few months....till I got deployed again and the stress kicked in and I cracked. For anyone trying to kick the habit the first few months SUCK but once you get past the nic fits I found that I was chewing gum like CRAZY. If anyone goes to Gracie Barra in Lake Forest you'll see me chewing away!!!

as someone else mentioned, when you are young you can get away with a lot.

take it from me though, after 30 you will feel it...

not one good thing comes from smoking, and the sooner you quit the healthier you will be down the line, in general.

I just quit today (AGAIN!!!). I am in my mid-30s and I notice the cardio diff. significantly.

Interestingly enough trees don't have the same negative effect on the lungs though they do have a different negative effect on the lungs. I read in an American Scientist from the 90s where they did a study on lung capacity from smoking ciggies and herb. Ciggies would noticably reduce lung capacity whereas the herb had a tendency to occasionally produce cold-like symptoms. Difference in particle size causes the different effects.

Anyway smoking is bad mmmmkay!

the only thing grosser than a stinky sweaty gi is a stinky cigarette smoke gi.

I quit a few years ago, honestly, my lungs were much stronger than they are now.