SNAP benefits worth double for fruits and veggies

How 'Double Bucks' For Food Stamps Conquered Capitol Hill

November 10, 2014 3:01 PM ET

The federal government is about to put $100 million behind a simple idea: doubling the value of SNAP benefits — what used to be called food stamps — when people use them to buy local fruits and vegetables.

This idea did not start on Capitol Hill. It began as a local innovation at a few farmers' markets. But it proved remarkably popular and spread across the country.

"It's so simple, but it has such profound effects both for SNAP recipients and for local farmers," says Mike Appell, a vegetable farmer who sells his produce at a market in Tulsa, Okla.

The idea first surfaced in 2005 among workers at the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. They were starting a campaign to get people to eat more fresh produce.

"I think we were trying to confront the idea that healthy foods, [like] fresh fruits and vegetables, are not affordable," says Candace Young, who was director of the department's nutrition programming at the time. (Young now works for The Food Trust in Philadelphia.)

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/11/10/361803607/how-double-bucks-for-food-stamps-conquered-capitol-hill

So I guess the price of watermelon will double now. Thanks Obama.

OblongBox - 

LMAO, VU.

In all seriousness, I think this is a good idea. While I don't think most recipients of SNAP should even be eligible, weening them onto a healthier diet will cost us a ton in the medical care costs we also pay for.

this is going to sound hipster of me, but I've been wanting this to happen for a while now and it's great to see. It's so common sense. It keeps money local and improves diet. Why not?

A few farmers markets near me (I live in DC) accept SNAP/EBT.

I support this idea because it's better for everyone in multiple ways that they spend money on healthy food produced locally, than garbage food and whatever else at corner stores. Phone Post 3.0

Good call. I like this. Phone Post 3.0

I think food stamps should only be able to buy food with one ingredient. Produce, milk, meat, flour, sugar, rice, stuff like that. No chips, sugary drinks, processed foods, candy. That way the people eat better, more money is going to the farmers (food stamps are a farm subsidy anyways), and no one goes hungry. Phone Post 3.0

I fully support this. I've been saying for years EBT should be like WIC only allowing certain products but this change would give an incentive to eat healthier.

Sadly I see this being just a way for people to sell their EBT for MORE now.

disbeliever -
Mayfield - I think food stamps should only be able to buy food with one ingredient. Produce, milk, meat, flour, sugar, rice, stuff like that. No chips, sugary drinks, processed foods, candy. That way the people eat better, more money is going to the farmers (food stamps are a farm subsidy anyways), and no one goes hungry. Phone Post 3.0

I'm behind this, although not so strict with just one ingredient. Must be high quality food though. No bullshit.
The problem is who gets to decide what high quality foods are. You will get lobbyists from the food industry who will convince politicians that Cap'n Crunch is good for you. The only way around it that I can see is to limit food stamps to base ingredients. If you want bread, you can still get all the ingredients, you just have to make it yourself. Phone Post 3.0

OblongBox - 

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

TTT for fruit ans veggie stands opening in the hood. Phone Post 3.0

Mayfield - I think food stamps should only be able to buy food with one ingredient. Produce, milk, meat, flour, sugar, rice, stuff like that. No chips, sugary drinks, processed foods, candy. That way the people eat better, more money is going to the farmers (food stamps are a farm subsidy anyways), and no one goes hungry. Phone Post 3.0

Genius.

Mayfield - 
disbeliever -

I'm behind this, although not so strict with just one ingredient. Must be high quality food though. No bullshit.
The problem is who gets to decide what high quality foods are. You will get lobbyists from the food industry who will convince politicians that Cap'n Crunch is good for you. The only way around it that I can see is to limit food stamps to base ingredients. If you want bread, you can still get all the ingredients, you just have to make it yourself. Phone Post 3.0

the issue with that is many people that get SNAP don't have the facilities to do that. Many live in hotels etc that won't allow that.

I like it, if gouging doesn't occur. Phone Post 3.0

the problem with this is that the food pyramid is still retarded and theyre still going to be pushing poor people toward diabetes.

at least it may help local farmers.

Tiresias - This should also apply to local cigarettes and liquor imo. Phone Post 3.0

Yeah they should make it so they are only worth half as much if you are purchasing shit like alcohol, cigs other and other shitting things. Not saying everyone should be forced to eat organic and uber healthy but there should be an incentive to buy a big ass bag of rice vs a bag of potato chips

cruedi - 
Mayfield - 
disbeliever -

the issue with that is many people that get SNAP don't have the facilities to do that. Many live in hotels etc that won't allow that.

There is always going to be people who will have one excuse or another why they "need" special treatment. That is not my concern, I only care that people don't starve to death. If you don't like it then don't take the free food.

Mayfield - 
cruedi - 
Mayfield - 
disbeliever -

There is always going to be people who will have one excuse or another why they "need" special treatment. That is not my concern, I only care that people don't starve to death. If you don't like it then don't take the free food.

i am all good with this. people on gov't benefits should definitely be rewarded for buying food items that are actually healthy and worthwhile.

but LOFUCKINGL at someone living in a hotel not being able to find a breadmaker at goodwill for $5 and get it into their hotel. i have lived in a hotel for a few weeks while between living arrangements. and have lived in hotels for countless weeks while travelling for work. you can make anything you want in a hotel.

ps. yeah, i know, maybe they dont have a car. but if you can buy the ingredients for ten loaves of bread for $3, then take a bus to the goodwill, or just walk, then the cost works itself out.

Sounds stupid. Farmer markets here are a ripoff. It's locally grown, they cut out the middle man distributors, they have no overhead like a supermarket does and yet farmer's market still costs alot more than it does at the supermarket when it should be alot cheaper. Screw local farmers. All food is local somewhere. Makes no sense at all dawg. Your car isn't locally produced, you're tv isn't locally produced, your coffee isn't local and neither is your beer likely. You drink bottled water that probably ain't local so who gives a flip if your food is. The usual scumbag liberal nonsense.

Problem is shady store owners will ring up alcohol,snacks,cigs as whatever they need to do to get paid.

I am a Phys Ed instructor and trying to get lower socio-enomic types to eat right is all but futile, trying to get any kid to eat right isn't easy.Their palates only know highly sweetened ,heavily salted snack food items. Even if a kid can be convinced about the virtues of eating right,the kids aren't the ones doing the shopping or cooking. Not sure what the solution is...