So A Gracie BJJ Academy where I live is offering..

10 days free. Thinking of checking it out. It is in Edmond, OK and the instructor is Ty Gay. (Gracie Brown belt)

I've been doing boxing for a couple years and used to train BJJ here locally (at a much smaller school)

Does anyone have expiriance with the Gracie Combative classes?

http://www.redlinebjj.com/

http://www.redlinebjj.com/

Ty Gay 

Owner/Head Instructor/Certified Gracie Brown Belt

Ty is a Certified Brown Belt & Certified Instructor under The Gracie Academy in Torrence, CA. Ty has gone through an extensive intructors program through the Gracie Academy, created by the Masters of Gracie Jiu Jitsu. He has learned how to convey information using certain guidlines & methods, so that students can learn easier,and progress faster. Ty is very passionate about teaching, and gives each student the best experience possible while doing so. While some teachers have a tendancy to talk down to their students, Ty believes in helping & encouraging students to achieve goals at their own pace. Ty offers every student his full attention in a friendly, helpful setting that emphasizes specific instruction based on that particular students strengths and weaknesses.

So is he a certified BB in BJJ or Combatives? I don't know....

Rather, I don't know if they dole belts out to combatives instructors...

ttt, does anyone know the answer?

Wes_Mantooth - 

Do the Gracies certify blue belts to be instructors? There are a couple of "certified instructors" that are blue belts. Phone Post

I don't know, that's another reason I made this thread...

I do combatives. If he is certified by the academy then it should be just like taking classes at the academy (minus the Gracie's). Combatives is how you get your blue belt. You train to defeat anyone without BJJ skills. After that you start more BJJ vs BJJ stuff along with the self-defense part. Phone Post

I believe Ty got his brown belt in regular BJJ from leo xavier but had a falling out with him and is now doing the gracie combatives thing. He is a really nice and friendly guy also.

And yes, they certify blue belts, but only to teach up to their own rank. Phone Post

Jebus Christ - I believe Ty got his brown belt in regular BJJ from leo xavier but had a falling out with him and is now doing the gracie combatives thing. He is a really nice and friendly guy also.

What is he ranked with the Academy? He would have to take all their tests up to brown. If he did, that says a lot right there. Phone Post

Yes I read that he is a 4 stripe brown belt under Leo Xavier but has changed affiliation.

Here is a thread that mentions his name:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/bjj-stillwater-ok-1315505/

Ok thanks guys!

If he is a gracie brown belt instructor he is legit and can teach a lot more then gracie combatives which is just the beginners program. There is no instructor rank in combatives...either you are certified to teach it or not.

DarrenMullen - If he is a gracie brown belt instructor he is legit and can teach a lot more then gracie combatives which is just the beginners program. There is no instructor rank in combatives...either you are certified to teach it or not.

That's kind of what I figured. Thanks! Phone Post