So A Sliva DOES speak English, how about that?

Guess Chael spoke the truth after all huh?

link?

Anderson spoke during the broadcast, on the intro. It was in english and it was pretty fluid.

link? it was right at the start of the UFC. he was hyping up the fight in the beggining like they always do. i started a tread on this already i thought it was real interesting how good his english sounded.

LOL! Anderson speaks english.  There are times that he isnt as comfortable as he would like to be with it.  Thats the reason why Ed does the translation. Why is it even an issue for people?

Its an issue because most Americans can't speak a second language and don't understand that it isn't a fucking on/off switch. There is a period where you can understand the 2nd language but not speak it very well and even after that you are limited to certain basic conversations unless you get immersed in the other language.

There is also the fact that it is difficult to express yourself fully in the 2nd language. Prepared statements fine, but interaction is a whole other level.

thesleeper - Its an issue because most Americans can't speak a second language and don't understand that it isn't a fucking on/off switch. There is a period where you can understand the 2nd language but not speak it very well and even after that you are limited to certain basic conversations unless you get immersed in the other language.

There is also the fact that it is difficult to express yourself fully in the 2nd language. Prepared statements fine, but interaction is a whole other level.

this is not news at all, he spoke perfect english years ago on 'all access'

GODZILLA -  Why is it even an issue for people?

I will tell you why it is an issue for me; because his comments are being translated by his manager who has a stake in what is said, versus a professional, independent translator. We dont know what Anderson is really saying. In the post fight press conference, Anderson had a few long answers to some tough questions that were translated by Soares into about 1/10th the amount of words. I want to know what Anderson is truly saying, I dont care the language, as long as we get a concise, accurate translation.

The UFC needs to hire their own professional, independent translator from Portugese to English for the events in which its champion, Anderson Silva, fights.     

This thread is in reference to Chael saying that Anderson ducks the media by claiming he doesn't speak English, the same media that fawns all over him in the US.

Skillrules - 

I will tell you why it is an issue for me; because his comments are being translated by his manager who has a stake in what is said, versus a professional, independent translator. We dont know what Anderson is really saying. In the post fight press conference, Anderson had a few long answers to some tough questions that were translated by Soares into about 1/10th the amount of words. I want to know what Anderson is truly saying, I dont care the language, as long as we get a concise, accurate translation.

The UFC needs to hire their own professional, independent translator from Portugese to English for the events in which its champion, Anderson Silva, fights.     
The UFC should hire Wallid to translate. 

I dont know if Soares is a professional interpreter that has had numerous jobs and years of experience or not, but I do know that his role as manager supercedes being a translator. If you watch the press conference, it is clear he is not doing a good job of translating. The UFC needs someone really qualified, who's only interest is to accurately translate what Anderson says.

LOL Damn you Mick!

"Dis is booshit, he chicken!" I 2nd that idea.

The UFC won't even hire an interpreter to translate what the corners are saying between rounds (like boxing does for Spanish)... I doubt they'll pay for an interpreter post-fight.

MickColins - 
Skillrules - 

<b>The UFC needs to hire their own professional, independent translator from Portugese to English for the events in which its champion, Anderson Silva, fights. </b>    

Dude, I swear to god I saw a UFC a few months ago where Wallid translated for someone!

K-Dub-"T" -  So if he spoke perfect english... what would change?

lol.......<br type="_moz" />

It's not about what would change, it's about how everyone was trashing Chael for having the audacity for talking negatively about Anderson a few months ago, only to have him proven correct. I like people who call it like they see it.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure Gurgel has recently done translation work for the UFC. I think he did live on-air translations of the corner discussions. Might have been Shogun-Machida.

UMM...has anyone taken into consideration that maybe his English is just getting better the more he learns?