So. Cal Gets much needed rain

Flash Flooding in SoCal Prompts Rescues

Scattered showers and storms were expected to move through the region on Sunday with clear skies by Monday afternoon

TK
OnScene
Rain soaked Burbank on Saturday, Aug. 2, 2014.

Emergency crews Sunday were busy rescuing people and searching for others who could be caught in flash floods and mudflow triggered by heavy downpours from a summer storm hitting Southern California.

Five people were airlifted in Mt. Baldy, where storm waters and mudflow was rushing through the canyons, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department tweeted.

In the San Bernardino County mountain community of Forest Falls, one resident was rescued from rising waters. Crews were also checking vehicles in that area for anyone who could be stranded.
Flash flood watches were in effect for parts of Southern California on Sunday as thunderstorms continue to threaten the region. Residents were asked to shelter in place until flood waters receded.

AM Forecast: Thunderstorms May Return

[LA] AM Forecast: Thunderstorms May Return
Flash flood watches were in effect in parts of Southern California as rain and thunderstorms are expected to move through the region. NBC4's Elita Loresca has the forecast for Sunday, Aug. 3, 2014.

Watches were in effect for portions of the Coachella and Antelope valleys, and San Bernardino County, Riverside County and Los Angeles County mountains until 8 p.m. Sunday, according to the National Weather Service.

In Forest Falls, the creek bed along Valley of the Falls Drive was evacuted due to the flooding. A portion of the street has been closed to non-residents, fire officials said. 

Big Water Wheels Plot Next Move in Historic Drought

[LA] Big Water Wheels Plot Next Move in Historic Drought
Some of the top water system managers in Southern California got together Thursday to figure out how to deal with the drought. Public information is high on the list but other measures could hurt. Conan Nolan reports from DWP Headquarters for the NBC4 News at 5 p.m. on Thursday, July 31, 2014.

A flash flood warning was in effect for parts of Riverside County until 4:45 p.m. Residents were advised to seek shelter if they see or hear a thunderstorm.

The National Weather Service also issued a flash flood warning lasting until 5 p.m. for the Eastern San Gabriel Mountains in Los Angeles County.

Los Angeles County was expected to see scattered showers in the afternoon and evening with a chance for thunderstorms as temperatures linger in the upper-70s and mid-80s.

By Saturday late night, scattered rain was coming down on the Westside to the Inland Empire after the system moved in from San Diego.

While the storms are weakening as they move through on Sunday, drivers should still watch for hazardous conditions and expect slippery roads.

Most areas of Southern California have received less than an inch of rain, but some parts of Riverside and San Bernardino counties were hit with more, including Idyllwild in Riverside County with two inches.

This period of showers are only a brief respite from California’s drought, one of the worst in the state’s history.

The monsoon conditions that led to the slow-moving thunderstorms will likely clear out by Monday afternoon for sunshine and clear skies.

Rained here in SB from about 3am till noon... Not much but the plants loved it. Phone Post 3.0

i loved it. glad the weather cooled off

On the way to work right now in this rain, its glorious. Love the smell Phone Post 3.0

It was awesome minus the humidity Phone Post 3.0

as much as I love sunshine and summer, I hope this continues for the rest of the year and into spring.

Better than the 100 degree weather cooking my car all day while I kill myself at work....

Yup, finally a respite from the blazing heat. Phone Post 3.0

had to!

It just sucks, I think we only capture 20% of run off.

Mmmm Bri Phone Post 3.0

is Elita pregnant ?