So Conor McGregor is a Top 10 Ranked Featherweight

Although it hasn't been updated yet on the official rankings page, UFC's latest news post says he cracked the top 10--surpassing Stephens and Burmudez.
http://www.ufc.com/news/new-rankings-mcgregor-top-10?id= Phone Post 3.0

LMAO!  Beat three guys not even in the top 20 = "You're top 10, son!"  

That is fucky.

Although I think he would beat Stephens and Bermudez. Phone Post 3.0

Of course he is- you hear that crowd reaction?? The UFC couldn't care any less who he's actually fought. He'll fight Cole Miller then get a title shot Phone Post 3.0

People shitting on his last two opponents ? Defo top 20 guys

People are upset about Conor McGregor, but what about Clay Guida ranked No. 7? He's 2-1 at featherweight in the UFC, and his lightweight record was hardly impressive.

Face Palm

TheVileOne - People are upset about Conor McGregor, but what about Clay Guida ranked No. 7? He's 2-1 at featherweight in the UFC, and his lightweight record was hardly impressive.

I'd say being Pettis only loss in the UFC, depsite how he got it, is impressive enough.

TheVileOne - People are upset about Conor McGregor, but what about Clay Guida ranked No. 7? He's 2-1 at featherweight in the UFC, and his lightweight record was hardly impressive.

Poirier is ranked 6th. When was his last win over a top ten featherweight?

Love me some Conor but it took Matt Brown what 7 straight and mostly  guys like Conor just beat rankwise to finally get a spot in the top 10?

I'd like to see him against Bermudez but then I'm a fan of his and followed him since tough. Phone Post 3.0

epwar -

LMAO!  Beat three guys not even in the top 20 = "You're top 10, son!"  

So you think that you have to beat someone in the top 10 to become top 10? Phone Post 3.0

side note i think jeremy should definitely be ranked higher..... he ALWAYS brings it and just had a very competitive match w Cub who's what number 3?

ajsr -

This. Who cares about the rankings anyways lol Phone Post 3.0

ajsr - 

Probably Erik Koch who moved up to lightweight after that fight.

ChaosOverkill - 

I'd say being Pettis only loss in the UFC, depsite how he got it, is impressive enough.

That fight happened four years ago. You know who else beat Anthony Pettis? Bart Palaszewski. I don't think beating Anthony Pettis and what he did after that fight was enough to make him No. 7 at featherweight. Got a crummy win over Hatsu Hioki, got knocked out by Mendes, and then beat Kawajiri.

Kelvin Gastelum is also over-ranked.

He's at #10, jumping over Bermudez and Stephens.

I can't see why anyone would have a huge problem with that. That is, unless you already have some bias towards Conor.

kevsh - He's at #10, jumping over Bermudez and Stephens.

I can't see why anyone would have a huge problem with that. That is, unless you already have some bias towards Conor.

Strength of competition should be a VERY important factor when ranking fighters. Jeremy Stephens recently went 5 rounds with Cub Swanson, and has a win over top 15 Darren Elkins. Who has Conor even fought in the top 15 again?

Win/loss record doesn't necessarily mean much when ranking. PERFORMANCE against ranked competition should count. How do you properly rank fighters without them fighting eachother?

Look at Dustin Poirier. Technically, his only top 10 win was Josh Grispi, but there he is in the top 10. Why is that? Because he proved himself to be a high level in his fights with Korean Zombie and Cub Swanson. I'm on the McGregor bandwagon, but who has he proven himself against?

These are the UFC Hype Rankings.

I heard the UFC is bring back Cody McKenzie to fight McGregor ins #1 contenders fight! Phone Post 3.0

ChaosOverkill - 

Love me some Conor but it took Matt Brown what 7 straight and mostly  guys like Conor just beat rankwise to finally get a spot in the top 10?

Ya, and he lost 4 out of 5 before the win streak, so it was a matter of him evolving late in his career, where as Conor has entered the league looking like something pretty fucking impressive, and has easily disposed of three guys while putting his potential on full display for all to see. I'm sorry to say, but Jeremy Stephens is pretty one dimensional and I would put my steak on the Irishman to have his way with him. As it is now, I think he has already earned someone higher ranked, like Poirier, that will be a telling fight that ought to quiet a few of the nay sayers for a bit.