So... Did Shields beat Maia at his own game?

Shields said he wanted to beat Maia at his own game? Did he?
He obviously won the scrambles. Do we count that as "Maia's game" Phone Post

He created the scrambles. Unfortunately I think the answer is yes. Phone Post 3.0

hell yes he did. I was smiling ear to ear, knowing he broke Maia after the 3rd.

lol

"I was smiling ear to ear, knowing that someone who finishes fights had all his momentum killed by a guy that dominates positions, hasn't finished a fight since 2009, and rarely shows any offensive output in a fight."

To each his own, I guess. Phone Post 3.0

thestaton - hell yes he did. I was smiling ear to ear, knowing he broke Maia after the 3rd.
Yes, I am always really excited when a boring fighter is able to neutralize an exciting one. Phone Post 3.0

TTT

Dr Doom - 
thestaton - hell yes he did. I was smiling ear to ear, knowing he broke Maia after the 3rd.

He broke Maia so much that Maia won the 4th and Jake couldn't do anything to him in the 5th?

Interesting conception of what 'broke' means.

1,4 Maia. 2,3 Shields. 5 Draw.

Anyone that bothers arguing with that, isn't worth arguing with.

Fight was the definition of a draw.

As with so many fights today there was no decisive winner. Having said that if you can't see how close the 1st was all in itself, then you should not post even. LMFAO at just giving it to Maia without a discussion even FFS (leaving no room for it)!

Like with the JBJ fight who gave it to Gus (major web site pray tell that said he won), no one. Finish your man or do not complain in todays fighting is what it comes down to. We all disagree with many decisions!

In as much as Jake was able to control his man MORE than he was controlled and the fight was 'mostly JUST a STRUGGLE FOR CONTROL', yes Jake did "beat Maia at his own game"! The rest including the result (should have been a draw...ECT..) is debatable.

so you guys get upset when two guys known for their grappling grapple? you know that its not all sweeps and sub attempts right?

i was excited to see two world class grapplers finally go at it, and i wasn't disappointed.

michaelkaras - so you guys get upset when two guys known for their grappling grapple? you know that its not all sweeps and sub attempts right?

i was excited to see two world class grapplers finally go at it, and i wasn't disappointed.

No one is upset that grapplers grappled, their upset the boring guy who never finishes fights or even hurts his opponents outside of the occasional eye poke won and killed the momentum of grappler who actually does do those things. Phone Post 3.0

DoomFarmer -
michaelkaras - so you guys get upset when two guys known for their grappling grapple? you know that its not all sweeps and sub attempts right?

No one is upset that grapplers grappled, their upset the boring guy who never finishes fights or even hurts his opponents outside of the occasional eye poke won and killed the momentum of grappler who actually does do those things. Phone Post 3.0
**They're Phone Post 3.0

michaelkaras - so you guys get upset when two guys known for their grappling grapple? you know that its not all sweeps and sub attempts right?

Who complained? Anyway yea I agree. we knew how we he hoped it it would would look (rather than kick boxing LOL). No surprise at all.

Draw imo. K1 shields needs to make a comeback. Phone Post 3.0

DoomFarmer -

GSP? Phone Post 3.0

savage043 -
DoomFarmer -

GSP? Phone Post 3.0
Huh huh huh Phone Post 3.0

there was no breaking maia. When Maia got top position he took risks to advance to a position to finish a fight. Shields was a solid enough grappler to gain an advantage from the ensuing scrambles, but did absolutely nothing but lay on top of maia, thereafter. That shows great skill in of itself, but it is not beating Maia at his own game. If Maia wanted to play a safe top control game, he could have had the same results in those rounds, imo.

What Shields showed is that he's able to neutralize and control Maia but doing little/nothing else. Noone really stood out as the winner in that fight and as much as I hate them, that fight probably should've been ruled a draw.

Also by far the easiest bet of the night, 1.90 on the fight going to a decision. Free money.

ufc98newb - 

there was no breaking maia. When Maia got top position he took risks to advance to a position to finish a fight. Shields was a solid enough grappler to gain an advantage from the ensuing scrambles, but did absolutely nothing but lay on top of maia, thereafter. That shows great skill in of itself, but it is not beating Maia at his own game. If Maia wanted to play a safe top control game, he could have had the same results in those rounds, imo.

100 percent false.

It may have been the case latter in the fight though. Jake was able to move from guard to half guard a couple of times but could not hold the position ever. He was almost jumping trying go get out of full guard several times.

Maia is no joke down there and he could not get that done. He was however able to get top position with some sick moves and scrambles a few times and that won him the fight. Pound for pound he's as good as anyone in the game down there. Again this was a battle for a controlling position 1st and foremost, Jake won that battle as I thought he would. Lots of butt hurt in the forum right now (not saying you).

The fight was essentially a draw.

Lazer MMA -
ufc98newb - 

100 percent false.

It may have been the case latter in the fight though. Jake was able to move from guard to half guard a couple of times but could not hold the position ever. He was almost jumping trying go get out of full guard several times.

Maia is no joke down there and he could not get that done. He was however able to get top position with some sick moves and scrambles a few times and that won him the fight. Pound for pound he's as good as anyone in the game down there. Again this was a battle for a controlling position 1st and foremost, Jake won that battle as I thought he would. Lots of butt hurt in the forum right now (not saying you).
There was no "breaking."

JDS vs. Cain 2 = Breaking Phone Post 3.0

so if shields stops maia from being able to sub/sweep him, that isn't outgrappling now? its a new word, neutralization?

if another grappler makes a world class grappler's game useless, it's not because he was better at it? Stopping someone from imposing their game doesnt count? Would it be better if Shields let Maia try 50 different sub attempts and defend them instead?

i dont understand all the shields hate. his grappling was obviously superior to maia's