so did UFC screw up putting together jds/cain II?

this should be one of the biggest matches of the year but there is hardly any buzz and tickets arent even sold out...

legitimately, this is a great matchup and could go either way, but giving cain the shot just 1 fight removed from when he was demloshed appears to have been a mistake...

they should have let cain rack up at least 2-3 wins to build up his credibility in the eyes of fans again, making him look like the unstoppable force everyone thought he was before he fought jds...now for a lot of fans, its a forgone conclusion that he will get punked again...afterall, is it possible to improve that much after just one fight in between?

i think the fight will be closer and cain definitely has got a shot to grind it out, but the timing of the rematch doesnt make a whole lot of sense as far as fan perception is concerned...

they should have let cain rack up at least 2-3 wins to build up his credibility in the eyes of fans again, making him look like the unstoppable force everyone thought he was before he fought jds

They desperately want Cain as champ, simple as that. I'm actually shocked they didn't set up a rematch right away as Dana on FOX after the first fight let us all know it wasn't the end result he wanted.

I thought Cain should have had one more fight considering how badly 2 saints scorched him the first time. Phone Post

epwar - 
they should have let cain rack up at least 2-3 wins to build up his credibility in the eyes of fans again, making him look like the unstoppable force everyone thought he was before he fought jds

They desperately want Cain as champ, simple as that. I'm actually shocked they didn't set up a rematch right away as Dana on FOX after the first fight let us all know it wasn't the end result he wanted.

even then i think they are playing it wrong..if he gets KOd here, there is no legitimate way he gets a nother shot for a LONG LONG time....well, i guess the UFC doesnt care about legitimate title shots, so maybe they will give him the faber treatment and give him a title shot every other fight?

Yes. They want Cain to be champ so badly (even more than Faber) Phone Post

Yes, it's a mistake, but JDS hasn't fought in awhile, they need a big fight for the end of the year, and what other HWs are ready and available?

Well, he can't possibly lose as bad as the first time...?

they thought the Hispanics would come through

orcus - 

Yes, it's a mistake, but JDS hasn't fought in awhile, they need a big fight for the end of the year, and what other HWs are ready and available?

dunno..brodor?

aritwo - they thought the Hispanics would come through

cmon...cant afford UFC tix in vegas on a gardeners salary...paying taxes or not

I personally see it going very similar to the first one, which doesn't get me too excited. I will still be watching though, and maybe it will be a much more competitive fight this time around. Phone Post

Billytk - I'd say the reason it hasn't sold out is because other then the great main event this is a WEAK card especially for the New Year's eve show. I wouldn't say they screwed up exactly this was unfortunately the best option they had available if they wanted a HW title fight on this card, it is too soon for the rematch since it was only one fight removed and not a close decision in the first fight. Still a good fight but much too soon to see it again and it has nothing else on the card to help with the buzz

You really think this is a weak card? That's craziness. Literally at least 8-9 fights I'm stoked as hell to see.

It's way too soon for Cain to be getting a rematch. What are they going to do with him if he loses again? Too good for up and comers and too dangerous to put against other contenders. He'll be stuck in limbo only 12 fights into his career.

BOMDC - 
Billytk - I'd say the reason it hasn't sold out is because other then the great main event this is a WEAK card especially for the New Year's eve show. I wouldn't say they screwed up exactly this was unfortunately the best option they had available if they wanted a HW title fight on this card, it is too soon for the rematch since it was only one fight removed and not a close decision in the first fight. Still a good fight but much too soon to see it again and it has nothing else on the card to help with the buzz

You really think this is a weak card? That's craziness. Literally at least 8-9 fights I'm stoked as hell to see.

This. The fact that Duffee and Moraga are on Facebook says a lot. Varner vs Guillard on FX? Pickett vs Wineland on FX? Leben's return. Garcia vs Holloway is on friggin Facebook. If you are a real MMA fan then this card is fucking stacked. To the casual fan, maybe not, but fuck them.

Yeah it's gonna be a pretty fucking sweet card. Better than the original one. It is going to suck if Cain loses, then either way he's fucked. Either he won't get a title shot for a very long time (which sucks for Cain, he wants to be the best), or he will continuously get rematches for the belt, in which fans and critics alike will express their disdain for, and will think of him as a joke. Lose-lose. Phone Post

Yeah, had the main event had an injury, this card would have been scrapped.  I love most of the matches, but it is again a "one fight" card they're selling.  Guess they didn't learn their lesson from Jon Jones vs. Dan Henderson.

this fight is only happening because reem pissed hot and they(ufc) had no one else to throw in against jds

Billytk -
BrattMamley - 
BOMDC - 

This. The fact that Duffee and Moraga are on Facebook says a lot. Varner vs Guillard on FX? Pickett vs Wineland on FX? Leben's return. Garcia vs Holloway is on friggin Facebook. If you are a real MMA fan then this card is fucking stacked. To the casual fan, maybe not, but fuck them.

For the purposes of PPV sales (not what hardcore fans would call exciting match ups but big name value for casual ppv buyers) there's nothing on this card other then the main event with JDS vs Cain

This...

I'm stoked to see Lauzon fight. But ask a casual MMA fan who Lauzon or Miller is. The only one that they'll be able to identify is Chris Leben, but that's because he was the "crazy dude" from TUF.

Other than Dos Santos and Velasquez, there are no other big name fighters. Phone Post

IMO The reason could be partly that both of these guys are not smack talkers. So they not hype it up to the point when people talk about anything else but the fight. ( medium rare steak etc..) Phone Post

ideally, Cain should have gotten another fight before the title shot.  these are the 2 best HW's and the rematch deserved more of a build up.

but Zuffa needed a main event so they were forced into this.  The fight right now was JDS vs Overeem.