So I picked up a Mosin Nagant...

So I finally broke down and picked up a Mosin Nagant... it’s a 1945 Tula build, so I’m guessing it was one of the last to be produced in the Soviet Union and probably saw little if any action during the war. I’ve never really liked the Mosin Nagant, but being a history nerd I wanted at least one example of the main arm used by all the major powers in the European theatre. I just find it an ugly rifle with a spotty reputation for accuracy. Still, overall this one is very nice. While the receiver is a bit rough, the barrel has strong grooves and the sights are pretty nice considering they're V-notch. They’re certainly better than my AK iron sights. The bolt is actually surprisingly smooth and the trigger isn’t that bad. It’s certainly better than the one on my M48 Mauser. And that’s presumably still with cosmoline coating it. The barrel is still coated in cosmoline, but most of the rest of it seems to have been cleaned but does a couple of small surface rust spots on the bolt handle. 

Maybe this rifle will change my mind on the Mosin once I get it out to the range... But that probably won’t be for a few months.

Crazy what they are going for these days

Snake Eater style. I like it. 

amadeus -

So I finally broke down and picked up a Mosin Nagant... it’s a 1945 Tula build, so I’m guessing it was one of the last to be produced in the Soviet Union and probably saw little if any action during the war. I’ve never really liked the Mosin Nagant, but being a history nerd I wanted at least one example of the main arm used by all the major powers in the European theatre. I just find it an ugly rifle with a spotty reputation for accuracy. Still, overall this one is very nice. While the receiver is a bit rough, the barrel has strong grooves and the sights are pretty nice considering they're V-notch. They’re certainly better than my AK iron sights. The bolt is actually surprisingly smooth and the trigger isn’t that bad. It’s certainly better than the one on my M48 Mauser. And that’s presumably still with cosmoline coating it. The barrel is still coated in cosmoline, but most of the rest of it seems to have been cleaned but does a couple of small surface rust spots on the bolt handle. 

Maybe this rifle will change my mind on the Mosin once I get it out to the range... But that probably won’t be for a few months.

What did it cost?

Looney Ronulan Paultard -
amadeus -

What did it cost?

$300 with a sling, oiler, ammo pouches, and bayonet...  More than I ever wanted to pay for one, but they aren’t getting cheaper.

But how do you pronounce it?

There are some videos out there with 800 yard shots with open sights. Crazy.

I bought one because my kid saw one in a video game and then saw a real one. Paid 300 bucks for it. It's hard to pass up a $300 rifle.

I missed the boat on these. My brother and some friends were picking them up for $125-150 like it was no big deal, so much surplus. 

I’m gonna get a buddy of mine who really likes Mosin’s to help me shim it and set it up for accuracy. He took one that was shooting 5 moa and just shimming it the same way the Finns did got it down to about 1.5 moa.

Eggbert -
amadeus -

I’m gonna get a buddy of mine who really likes Mosin’s to help me shim it and set it up for accuracy. He took one that was shooting 5 moa and just shimming it the same way the Finns did got it down to about 1.5 moa.

Try shooting it first 

Of course. That goes without saying... I’d like to find one accurate enough to convert to a repro sniper and then have another stock. 

I’ve always wanted one. I’ve never shot one but I’m a sucker for war rifles.

Welcome to the club.

I have a Mosin M44 carbine dated 1944.

There are lots of videos online that tell you how to get rid of the cosmoline. I took the gun apart and used really hot water down the barrel and on all of the other metal parts and then cleaned with regular Hoppe's No. 9.

Mine kicks like a mule but it's VERY fun to shoot.

Surplus SPAM ammo cans are getting rare and expensive, so check Sportsman's Guide from time to time as they regularly have sales for non-corrosive ammo at about .45 cents per round.

If you do shoot corrosive ammo just use Windex down the barrel when you get home from the range.

Trust -

The first gun I ever purchased (second owned) is my 1942 Izhevsk-built 91/30.  

I spent the better part of a day degreasing, cleaning, and lubing it for use.  Unfortunately the trigger had about a 15 lb pull.  After shooting about 20 rounds my trigger finger was toast.  

I thought about installing a Timney trigger, but didn't want to carve up the stock, which is required to fit the Timney unit.  Then I found Huber Concepts, and they make a trigger that is adjustable and self contained, and indistinguishable from the original trigger.  So I got one of those, and, it's not awesome, but it's a lot better and I can enjoy shooting the rifle now.  

Sounds like the trigger on my M48 Mauser... Great gun but the worst trigger I’ve ever squeezed. I have a Timney to replace it with but haven’t gotten around to doing it yet.

that the gun in enemy at the gates where every onther russian either got a rifle or a magazine?

DougWilson - that the gun in enemy at the gates where every onther russian either got a rifle or a magazine?

Yes

This makes me happy.

They also make nice fireballs when you shoot them

Ball Giggle GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Fireball from mine:

http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr27/billy_ball2/Flash%202_zpstpazgnxm.jpg

Really late to this party...back 4 years ago you could get 1 for $125 and a box of surplus ammo for $99, that's 400 rounds. At the range, every other table had a Mosin on it.

DougWilson - that the gun in enemy at the gates where every onther russian either got a rifle or a magazine?

its a clip :)