So, I was looking at a pic of Rampage Jackson...

For a guy who has wrestled and fought most of his adult life, he has virtually no signs of cauliflower ear. How is that even possible?

cause he never really grapplings. always striking.

and when he does train wrestling and bjj I'm sure he has head gear. Phone Post

Herring In A Fur Coat -  http://i43.tinypic.com/2cgeupu.jpg

5!!!

lol @ some of those responses above. are you guys 14 years old or what?

I think it has something to do with how someone's ears sit on their head

if your ears are a little bigger or stick out a little bit you're much more susceptible

a guy like rampage with a big ass head and small ears that sit flat against the sides of his head and don't stick out at all isn't as likely to be affected

yikes

depends on the cartiledge - I've wrestled and grappled for years and my ears are still glorious

Can't you drain them initially when the ear swells? Or is that incorrect? I do not know the biology of it, but that's what I figured. Phone Post

Herring In A Fur Coat -  http://i43.tinypic.com/2cgeupu.jpg

That's the page I remember? Where did he go.. If I'm not mistaken it was in pride either shogun or wandy smashed his ass and he's never been the same.. Phone Post

@ steps, yes you can drain them alot of people do it themselves someone should embed the video of mike swick doing it thats been around forever and posted a thousand times on everyone one of these threads

Wandy broke his ribs.. One of best fights ever.. But ya silva broke his ribs and es never been same since. Phone Post

Very few black fighters end up with cauliflower ear. Din Thomas is the only one off the top of my head that I can think of who actually has it. 

Reason: The cartilage type in the ears of many African Americans is more durable and less susceptible from separation from the perichondrium than in other races. 

Masakatsu Funaki -  Reason: The cartilage type in the ears of many African Americans is more durable and less susceptible from separation from the perichondrium than in other races. 
<br type="_moz" />

Lucky!

Masakatsu Funaki -  Very few black fighters end up with cauliflower ear. Din Thomas is the only one off the top of my head that I can think of who actually has it. 

Reason: The cartilage type in the ears of many African Americans is more durable and less susceptible from separation from the perichondrium than in other races. 
<br type="_moz" />
You're quite silly.

For the wrestlers here, what do they call Rampage's "suplex" in wrestling (GIF above)? Is that legal? I'm assuming it's freestyle and considered a throw??

knockoutfighter - For the wrestlers here, what do they call Rampage's "suplex" in wrestling (GIF above)? Is that legal? I'm assuming it's freestyle and considered a throw??
You call it a "Holy Shit." It is legal in freestyle and greco as long as you stay in control of the person you are throwing. It is worth 5 points, which would automatically win you the round.

Herring In A Fur Coat -  http://i43.tinypic.com/2cgeupu.jpg

Foogin brutal!!! Phone Post

I've been wrestling for twenty one years, BJJ for 8 and never had the slightest bit of cauliflower ear. But, I did have a part of my ear ripped from my head.

wrestling since 4 years old, no cauli. two of my younger brothers ears look like chewed-up black licorice. so it even varies within families.

I wrestled from the time i was like 10 to 18, took a few years off and started back to bjj at about 25. I'm now 28. I've never had any cauliflower ear whatsoever.

I think some people just have floppy ass ears. You can twist and pull and yank on my ears all day long and it doesn't bother me. But i know some people, if you just touch their ears wrong its painful.