So if BJ wrecked his rib...

Many are saying BJ wrecked his rib and that's why he lost... so those that believe that, are you implying he lacks "toughness" then? I know he's human, but would a separated rib completely stop the pace he was going at, in what was arguably the most important bout in his career? I know of fighter's that have fought on with bad injuries to win.

The only thing I've seen that stops someone in their tracks that quick is fatigue.

C

If Kurt Angle can win an Olympic gold medal with 2 broken vertebrae, two herniated discs, and four pulled muscles...

I am suffering a cracked rib and a torn lat right now. I favor and slump to that side of the crack...BJ showed no slumping...he straight gassed.

What amuses me is that the same people who are defending BJ and his rib problem are the same guys who ripped into Kalib Starnes for quitting for the exact same thing.

I have had that injury before, besides the point.

I just don't think there is a huge mystery to what happened in the fight. BJ fought a great match, unreal infact with how he was imposing his will against a guy like Hughes. He showed amazing skill, and he did look in very good shape. It did look like he put a lot into that sub attempt against a very strong fighter, it wouldn't be so far fetched that he got tired.

C

"The only thing I've seen that stops someone in their tracks that quick is fatigue"

I disagree, injuries is what stops you as quick as what happened to BJ.  You dont go from  100-0 that quick even 75-0 with out an injury. I wached with a room of atleast 8-10guys and some was even calling a fix. That was before matt even won.  As soon as Penn came out for  the 3rd and started throwing slow ass jabs and moving so slow and looking lazy with his movement and  getting countered  guys were calling fix.  I diddnt think it was a fix but i figured something wasnt right with penn.

I don't know...I'm inclined to agree that he gassed & that's what ultimately lost him that fight...although I'd also agree the rib injury probably sealed the loss.

I once received a recessed rib from a kick in the middle of a kickboxing match & was functional until a couple hrs after the fight...on the same note, I once dislocated my own rib (sounds stupid but it happens) in a jj tourney & had to pull out immediately. All relative-i can see how it may have shut him down.

"You dont go from 100-0 that quick even 75-0 with out an injury."

Obviously you've never seen me spar. lol

"I wached with a room of atleast 8-10guys and some was even calling a fix. That was before matt even won. As soon as Penn came out for the 3rd and started throwing slow ass jabs and moving so slow and looking lazy with his movement and getting countered guys were calling fix. I diddnt think it was a fix but i figured something wasnt right with penn."

Well they were wrong and so were you, only about different things.

"As soon as Penn came out for the 3rd and started throwing slow ass jabs and moving so slow and looking lazy with his movement and getting countered"

How were his speed, movement, and punches in the beginning of round 2?

Hamzeh, i hope you have more important shit then posting sorry stories?!

Holding you legs triangled like that for a long time can leav them feeling like jello once you stand back up. In shape or not, I think the sub attemp tired him out.

voiceofreason... he gassed, simple as that.

C

You're not gonna change anyone's mind with this thread. You're only going to argue your point, about 30-40 responses will appear on this thread, and that'll be the end of it.

CommiesRPunks has posted lots of correctness on this thread.

I don't think he fatigued on the ground. That's his turf, and where he knows how to conserve energy and relax. I could see how he'd exhaust himself defending takedowns, but even there he seemed composed.

I believe him about his ribs separating, but whether Hughes or BJ caused the injury is irrelevent (sp). Fact is that this is the second fight in a row where us fans of bj have had excuses for him.

Lets be rational and give hughes and gsp their respect for beating bj. We'll have other chances to jockride bj; doing it now makes everyone look bad.

Spicy.... ya I got more important stuff to do, but I'll do it when I get home, still at the "other" job.

C

Yep, IF there was a separation, it came in the second round near the end, because he showed NO SIGNS of such an injury.

According to Randy Couture, he showed signs of fatigue, not INJURY.

Didn't Kalib Starnes quit mid round because of a similar injury against Kendall on TUF?

Didn't Kalib Starnes quit mid round because of a similar injury against Kendall on TUF?

I separated my ribs once in bjj tournament. For weeks aftewards, I had trouble sleeping and couldn't put my hands over my head. I couldn't laugh and it hurt to eat. It was one of the first injuries I've ever had.

It seemed like a freak situation -- I'm not even sure when it happened but it must have been during a scramble. I thought of tapping out from the pain, but clung on until the end of the match. I mentioned that something had happened to my teammates -- I wasn't sure what it was but I was hoping it would go away when the adrenaline kicked in. They seemed surprised that I was in pain and thought I was joking, because it wasn't obvious from my face I guess.

It wasn't so much that I couldn't move, but suddenly, when I did move, I could feel the ribs popping right out of my sternum. They repeatedly popped out during the match: each time it hurt like hell but I was also worried about what was happening to me. I was probably in shock to a certain extent. I've had other injuries in matches or in muay thai, and I never reacted this way.

I went out for another match, hoping that I would get a quick submission. The guy took me down instantly, and I'm hard to take down. Part of my brain was telling me that I should keep going and I was ready, but another part knew that something was seriously wrong. I tapped after that, surprising the hell out of my opponent.

It took months for my ribs to heal, and I reinjured them doing very simple things like raising my hands to put a box on a shelf.

I know people disagree, but I've rewatched the tape and the look in BJ's face makes perfect sense to me, as did everything that happened in the fight after the injury.

This isn't to take away anything from Hughes. A win is a win. I'm simply saying that based on my experience with the same injury, and only my experience, hearing that he tore the ribs made the weird turn of events make perfect sense.

My two cents.