So much training, so little time..

Hi Everyone,

Lately I have been really training with the High Gear so I thought I would have a crack at this.

Premier exercises: At first I started by listing the Detect then Defuse then Defend drills (Emotional/Psychological/Physical) which I liked best and then realized the best drills are probably the ones that incorporate all three.

For example, an Encroachment/E.C.T. drill that can escalate into a real physical Panic Attack style situation or not (need good role playing) and which also allows the other guys in the room to role play as e.g. a bystander that jumps in or gets in the way etc. This type of drill is really great if you are already doing a High Gear session and have some guys suited up but to really work I guess they have to somewhat take it upon themselves, if you give them the role of the guy who jumps in from behind its not really a surprise and test of your awareness/detecting. I can only say I have really trained this way once (through friends goofing around), despite being on a High Gear craze (and loving it), guess I need to talk to the guys and let them know to do whatever now and again regardless of what people are doing and hope I forget I told them :-) !! Times like this are when I appreciate my more rash friends!

Lately my favourites are Grip Integrity Drills which really support all the physical (esp. weapon defense) but that is about to change a bit!

The best solo drills I think are ones that use visualization to allow you to get as 3-D a training session in as possible, this can be visualizations with dummies, alone, shadow-boxing (or shadow-defusing as the case may be) even weights or sprints etc. (a great example is Phil's article where he uses running for one example).

The best partner drills I think again are ones with the High Gear to allow more realistic contact and that also work the Detect/Defuse as well as the Defend. Some others that would be really condusive to this would be the L.A.R.Ds, (progression from simply receiving to weaning the flinch, to safe/unsafe, to primitive flinch, to flinch and Defensive Spear, to Pre-Emptive defense), also allow a verbal stage after working through it, as well E.C.T. drills, H.A.D.s, Eyes Closed Drill.

Other really good partner drills I think are NVP/Acid Testing and Third Base Coach Drills, Isolation Sparring, the Grappling Sensitivity drills, Grounded Drills, Mirror Drills, Sucker Punch Drill, etc.

Try to remember whys physically, emotionally and psychologically for these drills: how would I feel & why?, what would I think/do realistically? & why?, how could I do that best within realistic parameters & why? and then do it, then analyze again, did it work, why? why not? I think you get more opportunity for this in some drills more than others, (e.g. Mirror Kicking Drill not as much street reality emotionally) but then again, maybe I am missing something here???

All that said I was going to list my top ten and then realised they all overlapped, for example, you could work the Enroachment drill HAD style, or the L.A.R.D drill with a NVP drill base etc. etc. This makes me think I have a great deal of learning yet to do and that my previous post isn't probably all that useful but I'll let it stand in order to illuminate through the mistakes!

Maybe this is part of what Mr.Blauer means when he says Lego System!!!! yes?

Hope this helps somewhat,

Sincerely, Lorenzo

The question as to which drills to practice is definitely one that everyone will encounter. For me, being a new student to the system, the Close Quarter Form is the ultimate drill. It can be done alone or with a partner;It can be done from either side;It can be done moving forward ,backwards, circling right or left;It can be done slowly and methodically or fast and in threes; It allows you to incorporate all three flinches as well as all three SPEARs;It works your use of emotional content during training while at the same time burning in that mental blueprint of your basic close quarter skills.At my level of training, although I incorporate many of the other drills (all found on Mr. Blauers' SPEAR drills tape), I find the CQF is the one drill that I wouold recommend to anyone that is in a time and/or space crunch. Hope this helps.

Ron

This is a great question and before I add to it, I'd like to turn it into a mini exercise for some of the PDR team:

WHat do you consider to be the premier exercises?

WHat are your favorites?

WHat are the best solo drills/partner drills?

Tony

Hello All,

The first question to ask is; what fight are you training for?

As a police officer and due to the nature of "my fight", I focus on the components of the SPEAR System, Close Quarter Form, and TCMS Groundfihting.

I consider Mr. Blauer's Emotional Climate Training to be the premier drill because it gives the trainee a unique three dimensional understanding of the most dangerous type/moment of assault; the ambush.

My favorite drills are , again because of the nature of "my fight",
all the SPEAR System Drils to include ECT above and Ballistic Micro-Fights.

If you are solo, nothing beats the Close Quarter Form, as Mr. Donvito so well put it, always using emotional content and a psychological rationale for your movement. Practice it Three dimensionally. As your understanding increases, break out of the sequence and make up your own. Use available equipment. Be creative.

If you have available and willing partners take into consideration you and your partner's level of undestanding of the material. I recommend basic SPEAR drills and CQF narration to start with , then move to ECT, Range Rover anD Mirror Drills, before getting into some fun Ballistic Microfights.

Let me re-emphasize that it's of the utmost importance to weigh and consider what "your fight" is and then choose your drills around that. Coach Blauer's "Lego block system" analogy best describes the usefulness of fitting HIS System to YOUR needs.

Hope this helps.

Tony Torres
Va. Beach,VA

Sean...

You posted as was typing mine so I will add a less eloquent but supportive

"Yeah what Sean said!"

Beautiful post Bro.

T.T.

RAPTOR, I CAN'T ANSWER THAT QUESTION!! :-)

IF YOU TELL ME WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH I MAY BE ABLE TO HELP!!

WHAT YOU WANT/NEED MAY NOT BE WHAT I WANT/NEED!!!

SKILL TRAINING IS SPECIFIC TO THE TASK AT HAND AND TO THE INDIVIDUAL!!!

SO A GENERIC LIST OF DRILLS IS OF NO USE TO YOU!!

PEACE, TOM

Great question, the answer ultimatley depends on the student, however here are some of my fav.'s.

1) ECD (Emotional Climate Drill)-This formula can be used to analyze any attack and break in down in a manner that you not only understand it but can successfully protect yourself against the many "safe" stages of it. Found on "Rage Attacks" and "Advanced SPEAR for MMA"

2) CQF (Close Quarter Form) As Ron indicated above, all the tools for a realistic in-your-face streetfight are present and when done properly, develops the three-dimensional integrity of this toolbox. All of which is covered in a NEW CQF Video available from TCMS!

3) Range Rover Drill as seen in the video by the same name, develops your ranges, overlapping and sub-ranges because as "The height of strategy isn't in doing your favourite move, but the worst move for your opponent!"

4) L.A.R.D (Live Action Response Drills) Developing appropriateness legally, morally and ethically with a 'specific attack'

5) BMF (Ballistic Micro-Fight) For the many reasons covered here on numerous threads. There are several tapes availble for this drill found on www.tonyblauer.com. Depending on the intensity level, these drills can be performed with or without TCMS' patented High Gear.

6) SPEAR Strengthening Drills found on the SPEAR Fundamentals, Advanced SPEAR for MMA, SPEAR Drills, HTBAG and Rape Safe video's. From my personal experience, i find that to many people neglect the important basic drills to develop their SPEAR.

7) Emotional Motion Drill because a wise old man once said, "If you can't control yourself, how can you expect to control your opponent?!"

These are just a few of my favorites, if i get a chance later, i'll return to add some more.

Sean

After viewing a bunch of Tony's tapes and reading the PDR manual, I've noticed in there are all sorts of training drills for people to practice. Some of them I've seen more than once - like doing situps emphasizing strikes while on your back, but there seem to be so many other drills you could spend an entire week working on them and have little time for anything else.

My question is, is there a top ten list of drills to focus on? I would think verbal assault drills, panic attacks, SPEAR drills, and range rovers would be at the top of the list. Are there any others? Does Tony have a list of all these drills in a single source so you can work your way through them all?

Perhaps that could be material for a new video tape?

My favorite drills:

Partner:

1. Emotional Climate Training: It is the answer to almost everything.

2. Range Rover: Nothing better for developing CWCT.

3. Replication and Ballistic Micro-fight: 'the most realistic fake stuff possible'

4. SPEAR strengthening

5. Neck Control

Solo:

1. CQ Form - including grounded kicking and tactical get up: I tend to be more 'free' training with it: visualize a scenario, use appropriate tools to completion...new scenario.

2. Footwork

3. CQ Ab-set

4. Emotional Motion on the bag

my 2 cents,

P.

Awesome question(s) and an awesome thread!

I think the importance of the CQF can't be understated.
There is so much packed in there...it's a terrific
learning tool, especially for newer students (and I
still think of myself as a newere student). Everything
Ron said about it is true...and he really said it all.

Combat crunches - Honestly...some days, I HATE these.
But they present a terrific challenge everytime I do
them, and that makes it all worth the pain.

Tactical get up...I really, really,
really, want to be able to get up quickly! (this has,
I should note, helped me in sport grappling as well.)

Mobility drills. Standing, lying down... transitioning
from standing to ground and back again.

Visualization - If I can do nothing else, I can
always close my eyes, picture a scenario, and run it
through to completion in my head.

Wall Drill - Phil turned me on to this one.
This has done a lot for making my strikes more sudden, non-telegraphic, and well...better. I got more out of
six weeks of this drill than six months on a heavy bag.

And...my wish list:
I find the wish list EXTREMELY empowering..enough so
that I try to review and revise it every few months.

Partner Drills:

VERBAL ASSAULT DRILLS!: I think these drills are way
under-rated. I've had a couple of experiences that
served to really illuminate for me the importance of
knowing how to deal with a verbal assault (and the
paralyzing F.E.A.R. it can induce)...I deal with
verbal assault far more than physical assault in my job,
and I find these drills extremely important.

Emotional Climate Training - done right, this drill
is so awesomely illuminating, I can barely describe it.

SPEAR strengthening drills

Grip Integrity drill

. Grapple/Freeze/Analyze - Keeps me from getting too
much into a "sport" mode on the ground, and reminds me
to always keep my options open.

I really love the Range Rover, but I don't have the
opportunity to play with it too much at this point. Most
of my training partners don't have the arsenal to make
the drill worthwhile.

Jake

This is a great question and a subject I have been experimenting with since learning about Tony Blauer and all his cutting edge research.

I am only a novice in this system so please understand that while I have been learning and researching Mr. Blauer's material for almost three years I am light years away from being any kind of 'expert'.

That being said, what you work on depends on determining where you are in relation to where you want to be on your Warrior Journey. This implies that you have long term and short term goals and a way to access your current skills and atrributes. You need some kind of a baseline from which to begin and a direction and destination in mind. So, like it says in the PDR manual, Evalute Your Routine, Evalute Your Mind, Evaluate Your Arsenal...

In my opinion, certain aspects of TCMS training are so unique and revolutionary they will benefit anyone at any level of training. Emotional Climate Training Drills and researching and understanding F.E.A.R. MANAGEMENT skills would be tops on my list. In almost 33 years of exposure to various martial arts and combative sports I have never seen anyone address the subject of F.E.A.R. like Tony Blauer. For the first time, we now have a 'recipe for success', that applies not only to fighting, but to all areas of conflict in our lives.

The Cycle of Behavior model is no less than brilliant. It is the key to unlocking motivation. Everyone should study and apply this information to their lives. This information is priceless...

With regards to the more physical drills I love Range Rover once the basic tools kicking, striking, close quarter and grappling have been explored and understood. The Close Quarter Form is the basis for our most important street arsenal and is used in every class I do as a warm up at minimum. I'll then choose from S.P.E.A.R. basics and drills, scenario based Panic attack type drills, Ballisic Micro Fights, unarmed against weapons.

I also like the more conditioning oriented drills like the Grip Integrity Drill and various Pain Management Drills which I save for the end of the workout.

Thanks to this thread I'll be stealing some great ideas for future workouts. Thanks for the question and thanks to everyone for your great answers.

Mike

ttt

Great post everyone!

Great information! I need to write all this down.

Tony - I believe you said you were going to add to this post after the PDR team gave their suggestions.

I will.

:-)

T