So what the hell is "Natural Flavor" ???

The more I look into it the more "natural flavor" and "artificial flavor" are turning out to be the same thing. Anyone jump down this rabbit hole an have some reading resources for me?

I avoid food with that label in ingredients.

Poop is natural flavor. Who the fuck knows what it is.

Fromunda Cheese is all natural!

I though "natural" had to contain a % of the real thing.

Avoid food that has "ingredients".

David@accu -

hmm

Natural flavor is derived from nature, but not necessarily from the ingredient that you're trying to mimic the flavor/aroma of. Artificial means that they are synthesized.

If you want to avoid all that, buy food with the least amount of processing and cook it yourself.

View post on imgur.com

myersei -

This guy knows. Photosynthesis is all the rage right now.

A coworker drank raspberry iced tea religiously until I told him that the "natural flavors" come from a gland next to a beaver's ass. He stopped drinking it. 

HappyCamper -

A coworker drank raspberry iced tea religiously until I told him that the "natural flavors" come from a gland next to a beaver's ass. He stopped drinking it. 

This man knows.

its actually secreted fluids from the sex gland of beavers. Apparently this is one of the most abundant sources for "natural flavors". I didn't believe it until I actually looked it up. I see "natural flavors" and it's a hard pass on that product.

Jizz is natural flavor.

Semen

In the United States, the Food and Drug Administration lists castoreum extract as a generally recognized as safe (GRAS) food additive.In 1965, the Flavor and Extract Manufacturers Association's GRAS program (FEMA 2261 and 2262) added castoreum extract and castoreum liquid.Product ingredient lists often refer to it simply as a "natural flavoring." While it is mainly used in foods and beverages as part of a substitute vanilla flavor, it is less commonly used as a part of a raspberry or strawberry flavoring. The annual industry consumption is very low, around 300 pounds, whereas vanillin is over 2.6 million pounds annually.

Castoreum has been traditionally used in Sweden for flavoring schnapps commonly referred to as "Bäverhojt" (literally, beaver shout).

Johnny Ringo -
HappyCamper -

This man knows.

its actually secreted fluids from the sex gland of beavers. Apparently this is one of the most abundant sources for "natural flavors". I didn't believe it until I actually looked it up. I see "natural flavors" and it's a hard pass on that product.

Nearly anything colored red also comes from a crushed up beatle. We ingest some nasty shit

David@accu -

No

There is no defined term for "Natural" what kind of makes sense...everything is made up of natural atoms.

But on packaging natural doesn't mean anything there is no legal definition so it means what ever you want it too

Natural flavor is just a back door way to pump MSG into food.

Reminds me of George Carlin's bit on food marketing terms, including "natural"

"A pile of dog shit is natural....it just doesn't make real good food.."

myersei -

So I can't cook?