So What's The Criteria To Get Cut From The UFC?

What's the criteria to keep your job in the UFC? Just put on good fights?

I was told to finish my opponents, make wieght, participate in interviews and open workouts, stay drug free, stay out of trouble, post positive advertisements and responses on social media, show sportsmanship to your opponent when the fight ends - Check

On the other hand fighters who kept their jobs would.....

Get arrested, miss weight, post negative things about the company on social media, miss interviews, avoid open workouts, fight at weigh ins, fight at interviews, fight after the bell, going on 3-5 fight losing streaks, and failing multiple drug test.  

Damn, I wish I knew those things before I had a bad fight, Lol - Yea I'm still bitter.

FudgePackedByScrapPack - It's all about that needle. Phone Post 3.0

This, apart from going on an L Streak, if you bring unwanted attention to the org, you're out the door. There are no rules. Zuffa play it by ear

Being a vegan gets u cut eventually. Phone Post 3.0

BirdWatcher - Did you try drinking and driving? Maybe spitting in opponents corner, refuse fights, posting nudes.... Phone Post 3.0

That last one might still work crosses fingers

Completely bogus that you were cut and we all know it.

Gerald, always enjoyed your fights.

Anyway, the only surefire way not to get cut is to become buddy-buddy with Dana or Lorenzo.

FudgePackedByScrapPack - It's all about that needle. Phone Post 3.0
. Phone Post 3.0

It seems a lot of those rules you mentioned are for the guys who don't move the needle.

Move the needle and you can post instagram photos of you holding a joint, not show up to pre-fight workouts, walking off and not doing interviews, miss weight, talk shit about the company, shoot birds before your submission, try to renegotiate, tell the world you want out of your contract and no longer want to fight for the UFC, and lose your last few fights.

Yet with all that being said, this fighter in particular isn't a needle mover either (in Dana's own words), so I have no idea why he can break all those rules and still won't be kicked off the roster. In fact, I've heard Dana thinks he should just retire (LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL).

To stay in the UFC:

1. Don't lose, ever at all (very unlikely but this would ensure no excuses from the UFC even if they are dying to cut someone).

2. Fight with no regard for your own health and future. You may take many KO losses but there will be wins as well and the beer guzzling casual fan will love you.

3. Move the needle. (Whatever that means). Phone Post

I would say the real reason,but it would be controversial and followed by denial and insults. You finished all of your opponents until you lost a decision so it certainly wasn't your ability or results in the ring.

You have every right to be bitter, man.  Cutting you after a single loss was fucking bullshit.

Make the Bald Father happy. Not sure how one does that tho. Phone Post 3.0

Won the first 3 by tko and dropped the 4th fight by decision. Yea, the cut was unjust. Phone Post 3.0

Unfortunately it's way beyond you. You have no control. We are constantly reminded it's a business not a legitimate sport so it's not about keeping or signing the best.

The sport is at a turning point. It has to be about the athletes not about the UFC. Dana wants the WWE model not a legitimate sports model. GREED IS GOOD.

Keep talking, Gerald. Everyone should know your story. It's a great example of the BS and greediness of the UFC.

I'm surprised. I thought the brothers had enough money. What more do they want? I guess they don't care about respect at all. Or, by the looks of them, they are Vince McMahon wannabes.

Thats the problem with UFC contracts, they sign guys to 8 fight deals then can force a renegotiation or cut them off one loss at any point, the fighters on the other hand can never force a renegoation for more money, which is why UFC forces them into these long contracts.

Congrats on an amazing career (22-5!). Hope you are retiring healthy and happy. You got a raw deal in being cut from the UFC at 3-1 after three exciting wins. If you don't know why, I can't being to fathom.

LA Alex - Unfortunately it's way beyond you. You have no control. We are constantly reminded it's a business not a legitimate sport so it's not about keeping or signing the best.

The sport is at a turning point. It has to be about the athletes not about the UFC. Dana wants the WWE model not a legitimate sports model. GREED IS GOOD.

Keep talking, Gerald. Everyone should know your story. It's a great example of the BS and greediness of the UFC.

I'm surprised. I thought the brothers had enough money. What more do they want? I guess they don't care about respect at all. Or, by the looks of them, they are Vince McMahon wannabes.

It's frusrtrating to watch guys get away with murder in the UFC & keep their jobs while I'm making a little over$10 an hour. In all people underestimated the impact of my cut. I had a nice home, just had my 4th child, and was only 4 years into my fighting career. I could'Ve really made an impact in the organization as a comedian, fighter, and former teacher. I just hate to be the sacrificial lamb - it will stick with me forever. I'm 35 now, so I've moved on towards my teaching career, but when I see someone miss weight, workouts, interviews, and just shows up get paid it pisses me off. Not to mention posting themselves smoking a blunt after the fight. I had a 6-fight contract that was worth toilet paper as far as workers rights. Imagine if your boss walked in today and fired you after one bad day of work after you were employee of the month before. 

it's bullshit you got cut but don't be mad at nate diaz be mad at the ufc. the reason nate gets away with all that is because he knows what he's worth. dana/ufc would hate for diaz to jump ship to coker's bellator where he would get paid what he wants and a quick title shot all because of his fan base. nick diaz knows what he's worth also, hasn't won a fight since 2011 but is going to headline his third straight ppv with ppv points % cut. all due to having a fanbase so strong it lets them get away with all that. it's a shame the ufc values views over skills and hard work but that's the business.

Not to mention signing 0-0 former pro wrestlers. Phone Post 3.0

Raezor19 -

Be the poster boy, top ppv seller and long time champ......criticize the lack of drug testing.....you won't get cut...but you won't be allowed to the press conference after you successfully defended your title.

Wait wait. Who wasn't allowed to a press conference? Phone Post 3.0