So, would you ruin their guy's life?

So I run a hotel. I got alot of people under me and it takes a well oiled machine to keep it from getting complaints and losing money. 

I have this one former employee who was by far our worst. Utter shit. Could not do the job well but most of all he costs us money by how he treats to customers. He will get loud and cuss them out. The straw that broke the camel's back was him telling a customer "its your toilet, you plunge it!" in front over everyone. I clearly hear it and I fire him on the spot. 

He goes on a rampage cussing up a storm before he leave. He says "I got a new job anyways" as hes leaving. Well his new job is another hotel in another city and a better position then the one he had with us. Bad news for him is that the hotel is ran by a guy who has known me since diapers. Literally used to baby sit me when I was a baby. Family friend and all.

Well I get a call from him saying he interviewed our former employee and wanted to give me the professional heads up that he will be poaching him off our staff. Well I tell my friend the truth about him. Telling him how bad a worker he was. His response was "well, I'm tearing up his resume as we speak. Thanks for the honestly".

Would you have done that? I feel good about doing it but I know I should not. I'm a flawed person and I know that. I know I should not feel good about it and I'm working on it but it feels just so damn good to know a bad employee got what was coming to him. I just should not have been the one to bring about that Karma. I did help my friend dodge a bullet though. 

7 Likes

Yeah you definitely should have.  If the other hotel owner is a lifetime friend, you just possibly saved him from a potential lawsuit if he were to do similar or worse at his hotel.  It was the right thing to do just for potential liability.

Reverse the situation and ask yourself what you would have wanted your friend to do if the roles were reversed.  You would want to know.

11 Likes

watch your back OP

evh -

watch your back OP

Lol I know. Could go all postal any day.

Of course you should warn a friend not to hire a POS lol.  Imagine if your friend hired this dude and then started thinking WTF didn't Dion give me the heads up?  

1 Like

Depending on your location & laws, what you told your friend was against the law & could cost you. If it can be construed that the conversation was not a professional one & you were "venting" to a childhood friend in a casual setting, then there may be a way out of that. 

I would delete this thread in all honesty.  

5 Likes

64FordF100 -

Yeah you definitely should have.  If the other hotel owner is a lifetime friend, you just possibly saved him from a potential lawsuit if he were to do similar or worse at his hotel.  It was the right thing to do just for potential liability.

Reverse the situation and ask yourself what you would have wanted your friend to do if the roles were reversed.  You would want to know.

This exactly.

You helped a friend you didnt ruin some faggot's life.

As an aside, I would do the same for a friend so I don't think you're wrong in a moral sence. Just making sure you stay out of legal issues, depending on your local. 

This is the problem with referrals. Everyone always give a positive review. People refuse to be honest. 

I would not call someone to say the guy is a shit. But when asked (or this case, talking about the guy), it is more than fair to speak up. 

You did your friend a solid, but you opened yourself up for litigation in many jurisdictions in the US. If you friend rescinded the job offer and gave this guy any hint of a reason as to why, you could have a problem on your hands.

rmenergy -

Depending on your location & laws, what you told your friend was against the law & could cost you. If it can be construed that the conversation was not a professional one & you were "venting" to a childhood friend in a casual setting, then there may be a way out of that. 

Well I hope it's not illegal as it happens all the time in my area. Plenty of people call me inquiring about former workers and I do the same. Idk its its standard where where else but there is box you can check off on an app saying to not contact your former employee. I assume he did not do this as he named me personally on his app and my friend gave me a call. I would assume he went by the app. That's not me commenting of the legality of it though. 

That is not against the law. Nothing from his story is incriminating. I'm 99% sure this situation does not apply to the laws that the others are thinking of. I do leave the 1%, because in the f-ed up country, nothing surprises me anymore.

Don't worry about it dude. You're a good person and I totally understand not wanting to make this guys life any more miserable, but imagine how you would feel if one of your friends knew that guy was a complete flake and just didn't bother to tell you beforehand. Or, this guy ends up costing your friend a ton of problems that could have been avoided by you giving a heads up.

You did your job and he didn't. Maybe next time he will, or he will go though this again and again until he learns or dies. You're not the problem and you did what you should have done.

rmenergy -

Came here to say this.  The people advocating this obviously don't work in corporate America or in management...

1 Like
walkinassassin -
rmenergy -

Came here to say this.  The people advocating this obviously don't work in corporate America or in management...

Well I hope the owner of the hotel who owns quite a few business would know the laws here. He recieved a text message from the former employee and he wants me to reach out to where he applied to a forward the text messages because they paint him in a very negative light. I dont think I will go that far though but that just me saying someone who does work and own multiple properties being all for this type of action. 

Lawyer up

1 Like

bros before hos

The_Pundits_Ghost -
BruteDion -
walkinassassin -
rmenergy -

Well I hope the owner of the hotel who owns quite a few business would know the laws here. He recieved a text message from the former employee and he wants me to reach out to where he applied to a forward the text messages because they paint him in a very negative light. I dont think I will go that far though but that just me saying someone who does work and own multiple properties being all for this type of action. 

Definitely sounds like opening a can of worms that could be costly. 

Potentially as I didnt know that until this thread. As I said though around here on applications it asked the person filling it out if they can contact their former/current employer. If you check no that they are not allowed to then they cant or I have never known one too.

Since they reached out to me and that my boss (the owner) said to reach out to them again, I would assume that his application said it was ok to each out to me. He (the former employee) named me personally as the person to contact. 

Also according to Nolo.com what I did was ok (I know I know....internet). The following can be disclosed.

- job performance

- reasons for termination or separation

- information disclosed in a report or other document required by law or regulation

What I can not do is

- Employer intended to harm or defame employee

- Employer intentionally disclosed false information, or disclosed without caring if it was false.

Nothing I said was a lie and I was asked for the truth and I dont feel good about what I did so it was not intended to harm but to inform.

I could be 100% dead wrong though as Lawyers are paid to Lawyer.

If a potential employer calls me, a former employer, as a reference and I say they were a terrible employee; I can get in trouble for that? Can anyone expound on that because I have never heard of this and may, or may not, have done this.