Social media is ruthless to fighters

It’s like a new element of the fight game. The talk of “social media” is now the talk of the people…

Any time a fighter loses or gets KO’d they become a meme and entertainment for people to make fun of until the next event.

I can’t imagine having a social media as a professional fighter in this day and age. I would probably do what Masvidal does, let someone run it and tell them what to post for business ventures, and don’t even bother reading anything.

I thought I was missing out on Facebook and Instagram but damn they are a cesspool of trash. I see people in UFC groups you would think are 100% trolls but they aren’t… and theyll even have public profiles and pics of their wife and kids… and they’re arguing with athletes and strangers like it’s the UG!

9 Likes

16 Likes

Inter
Esting

2 Likes

Yep. It’s not just MMA, it’s disrespect for people in general, it’s just insane. 10 years ago if Chito / Cruz KO happens it would be all respect to both guys, Nobody used to kick a man while he’s down after a loss. It seems the martial arts integrity is lost upon the fans. Even Ariel Helwani was saying month back “it was lame when fighters shook hands after the fight” (I can’t remember which, maybe it was Stephen vs Yair). But that’s what I want to see! I wanna see them beat the shit out of each other and when the bell rings, show respect.

One of my favorite moments is Nick Diaz insisting to help Frank shamrock up after the finish. The entire fight was mean mugging trash talk, it’s the perfect example of professional fighters and the composure they have after battle. Nick telling him “you’re the fucking legend” … shit I’ll probably remember that post fight moment more than many actual fights!

13 Likes

The only fighters I’ve trolled on twitter are Jorge and Dustin. Jorge for obvious reasons. Any time he’d tweet I’d post the video of Colby out striking him and beating his ass

For Dustin all I did was keep asking why he wouldn’t fight Colby and what he was ducking him. And of course I’d tag this pic with it

Dustin blocked me unfortunately but understandably

9 Likes

Shocked Eric Cartman GIF by South Park

4 Likes

Well I can tell you definitively that back in the beginning of MMA in this country that social media was Absofuckinglutely ruthless. In my case, it is way kinder to me now.

17 Likes

10 Likes

Yeah, that’s some definite first hand knowledge being dropped here.

4 Likes

This this and this.

3 Likes

You should always be respected Mr.Ettish

7 Likes

Yeah, you were an early example of internet assholes mobbing up on someone. It makes me happy to see you recognized and respected these last number of years.

6 Likes

You should slide into his wife’s DMS and bring some real barbecue sauce!

4 Likes

That mother fucking uncle fucker!

2 Likes

Huge No No for Vince and WWE contracts

2 Likes

wow

1 Like

I don’t remember specifically where I saw it, but I watched a type of short documentary on Jason Thacker AKA Strange Brew from season 1 of The Ultimate Fighter. And basically what they were saying is he in no way belonged in that house on that show. It was really sad how they depicted him when he went home. People were literally throwing bottles at him in the bars claiming he gave Canadians a bad name. It was tough to watch actually. I had to have seen it online because I can’t imagine a TV show covering him. I’m sure with some due diligence if somebody weren’t interested they would be able to find it online. Regardless, it’s what I thought of almost immediately after reading this thread title.

2 Likes

I remember him being trashed online but not literally in person. That’s sucks

1 Like

People wanted mainstream fans, this is what we get.

10 years ago the respect for fighters was high because most fans really loved the sport or were competitors in some aspect. Now we we branched away from the “hardcore” small fan base and we get the fat Dorito finger slobs who talk about what their team’s quarterback should have done this Sunday.

6 Likes

In fairness, it was the way you handled that disrespect with class and dignity and your return to competition that made social media so kind to you now. You are an outlier, a well deserved outlier from the cesspool that social media is.

4 Likes