Socializing a Dog..?

I had a 12 year old black lab, very good natured and socialized..I just picked up a terrier mix from the shelter yesterday..he is 2 years old and has not been socialized..when I brought him in the house, my black lab sniffed around him but the terrier started to growl..I was holding both but the terrier didn't seem to know what to do when another dog is trying to talk to or smell him..how should I socialize the terrier? Go very slowly? Should I hold the terrier while my lab sniffs it and shows the terrier that he isn't a threat? Right now I have them separated

Probably muzzle to keep the safe and if it is to difficult perhaps a dog behaviourist. If they are out on their own in a open area the new dog might be less reactive because it doesn't take the location as territorial. Their it's a bunch of good Facebook groups for reactive dogs and people are extremely helpful. 

Just go slowly and firmly correct him when he growls. He will catch on soon enough.

Terriers are nowhere near as easy to socialize as labs. They are very territorial & are bred to attack animals. They are often dog-aggressive, especially if not socialized as a puppy. As annoying as it sounds, the behavior is pretty common for terrier breeds. The 2 dogs will become friends quickly, but don't be surprised if the terrier continues to try & be "the boss". If he oversteps his bounds, the lab will put the smack down.

You need to fuck the bigger dog to obtain dominance and then cuddle with the smaller one 

Take him to the bar.

Tinder

Just beat it

Resident A Hole - Terriers are nowhere near as easy to socialize as labs. They are very territorial & are bred to attack animals. They are often dog-aggressive, especially if not socialized as a puppy. As annoying as it sounds, the behavior is pretty common for terrier breeds. The 2 dogs will become friends quickly, but don't be surprised if the terrier continues to try & be "the boss". If he oversteps his bounds, the lab will put the smack down.

OH yes, the terrier seems quite proud and aggressive towards all other animals it seems atm..when it tries to show the lab whose boss should I intervene? My lab is older at 12 and my terrier is young and stocky, very muscular/strong..I don't know if my lab could beat him

Definitely still discourage the aggression, just be aware that there's only so much you can do. You lab sounds laid-back, so they should get along fine after the initial period of getting used to each other.

My first jack russell terrier lived with a 130lb rottweiler for a year. He was agrressive and became the boss immediately & stayed that way the entire year they lived together. There were 2-3 spats that we shut down by spraying them with water.

Terrier sounds racist.  How does he do around yellow labs?