SOE/Daybreak Games just fired EVERYONE...

http://kotaku.com/big-layoffs-at-everquest-studio-today-1685243961

Announced this morning at a huge meeting...  The reports don't tell the whole story.  They fired EVERYONE except the Planetside2/H1Z1/EQNext Team (mostly the same people, and only until they get replaced)  Anyone hanging around is doing so on a temporary basis to help with the transition.  The parking lot look like a concert just ended, people stumbling around... lots of crying.  This is craaazy.  I got the axe too, 5+ years as the mechanics designer for Everquest II.

Sorry you got laid off. Hopefully you find something soon. Phone Post 3.0

Sorry to hear. What was the reasoning? Phone Post 3.0

Sorry to hear.

How many people are we talking about? Phone Post 3.0

Sennin - Sorry to hear. What was the reasoning? Phone Post 3.0

The quote is - "This alignment of resources better positions the newly independent studio for future growth opportunities and developments, including delivering on its legacy of making top online games and establishing a solid foundation for future multi-platform success"

The reality - "We can save so much money hiring people half your costs and moving support to India, fuck quality"

thrown_away92 - Sorry to hear.

How many people are we talking about? Phone Post 3.0

Around 200 in the San Diego office, maybe more.  I dont know how many people worked in Austin.  Austin was 100% cut.

That sucks man. Was it just out of the blue or what? Phone Post 3.0

Sorry you lost your job, that's always horrible. Here's a vu.

You guys think the game quality will go to shit now? Phone Post 3.0

Shinsplint - That sucks man. Was it just out of the blue or what? Phone Post 3.0

The sale was out of the blue, no one was told.  But we knew for the past week there was gonna be HUGE cuts, just had no idea it would be everyone...

Jack Carter - You guys think the game quality will go to shit now? Phone Post 3.0

Not yet, but future projects (EQNext included) quite possibly.  Everyone who had a creative hand in it is GONE.

Wow thats sucks. Hope u find anew job. Trying to get in the industry myself. Phone Post 3.0

steve85uk - Wow thats sucks. Hope u find anew job. Trying to get in the industry myself. Phone Post 3.0

The lead producer for DayZ sent a tweet out saying anyone let go at SOE/DayBreak should give him a ring.  I sent him my resume a few minutes ago.  Fingers crossed!

TheVandalz -
steve85uk - Wow thats sucks. Hope u find anew job. Trying to get in the industry myself. Phone Post 3.0

The lead producer for DayZ sent a tweet out saying anyone let go at SOE/DayBreak should give him a ring.  I sent him my resume a few minutes ago.  Fingers crossed!

Good luck Phone Post 3.0

damn u guys made Everquest, Star Wars Galaxies, and Planetside

RIP

RIP my beloved creation, the Beastlord!

TheVandalz -
Sennin - Sorry to hear. What was the reasoning? Phone Post 3.0

The quote is - "This alignment of resources better positions the newly independent studio for future growth opportunities and developments, including delivering on its legacy of making top online games and establishing a solid foundation for future multi-platform success"

The reality - "We can save so much money hiring people half your costs and moving support to India, fuck quality"

For fuck sakes. Phone Post 3.0

You really think they will reopen in India? Phone Post 3.0

Eqoa holds a special place in my geeky heart Phone Post 3.0

fahker - You really think they will reopen in India? Phone Post 3.0

name one indian video game studio

the NY firm probably didn't want to invest so much money into developing many different games and funding so many different offices.

sucks that OP got caught in the crossfire.

OP, any chance ur office will try to become an independent game studio