Soft N Hard

Does ROSS use the same type of soft sparring that Systema does ? In addition to more conventional full speed sparring ?

NG,

The following terminology and concepts are the trademarked system of RMAX Performance Solutions, and I can only speak for my coaching pedagogy at RMAX.

Soft-Work regards the competitive protocol used to enhance performance in fighting. I experienced many different methods systems throughout Russia: Soft-sparring, Soft-school, Slow-sparring, Light-rolling, etc...

I do not prefer the name "slow" because velocity comprises only one of the drill standards of the competitive protocol "Soft-Work" - an English term I interpreted from Russian language.

I also do not support the terms "school" which insinuates in English language curriculum, lending the impression that there is a specific content to be learned.

I don't prefer the term "Light" because anyone that has trained with RMAX knows that "Soft" doesn't mean to use force lightly.

Nor do I espouse the term "sparring" and "rolling" which lend connotations of singular, unarmed opponents in a stand-up H2H or grappling - groundfighting "matches."

"Work" refers to the standard of the competitive protocol. Work is a protocol that can be assigned to any drill, such as "sparring."

Soft-Work holds as an objective - increased sensitivity with the performance goal of decreasing the threshold of fear-reactivity. The method of Soft-Work is Efficiency, or Useful Work / Total Work.

(Hard-Work holds as an objective - increased toughness with the performance goal of increasing the threshold of pain. The method of Hard-Work is Effectiveness, or Opportunity / Risk.)

It would be best for you to contact the respective "systema" you wish to investigate: Kadochnikov, Ryabko, Svetailo, etc... (There are many.)

I see, thanks muchly..

NG, what causes you to ask? Why does this interest you?

I may check out Vasiliev's systema classes in the near future. I think they do all slow style sparring and was wondering if it's useful/practical

NG, where do you plan on taking classes?

Secondly, you cannot judge the usefulness of a drill in someone else's system, by the written definition of a methodology in my system.

Coach Sonnon

In toronto.

"NG, where do you plan on taking classes?"

Yes, I guess I don't have any other reference points though

"Secondly, you cannot judge the usefulness of a drill in someone else's system, by the written definition of a methodology in my system."

Vladimir has his own board at russianmartialart.com. Ask him there.