Solar panels- tme

Seems like its only wise to do if:

1. You'll be in the house a long time to offset cost

2. You can buy them outright

Sdg&e sent out a "we're raising rates 10% and by the way eat a dick" notice yesterday.

Each $1/watt takes about 4.5 years to pay off. Also the dc/ac coverters wear out after 7ish years and cost $1 per watt also so you never really break even.

Those pricks are upping costs for the huge fire they started a few years ago. Disgusting.

total scam and they won't let you do it yourself.

friend of mine works for google and lives in santa monica. guys a fucking genius and able to do just about anything regarding electronics. he bought the panels, installed them and the converters and basically "unplugged" from the electric company. with weeks he had an SCE employee at his home questioning him. he's currently fighting SCE and the city to be able to keep his panels and battery bank and stay off the "grid." insane.

in

They're efficient if you don't solely rely on them. 4 100 watt panels and a small battery bank will power more than you think. If you can wire it properly it will keep costs down. Plus it's not a bad thing to teach yourself and get into. I've wasted more on musical equipment 

I have been looking into this myself for the Orange County area. From what I have found its better to pay for it yourself but more costly. You get the tax break and don't have to deal with the lease bullshit. I was told if you do it here before July you get locked in for better pricing on the buyback of extra power you provide back to the grid.

I did a back-of-the-envelope calculation and came up with about 20 years for payback.

Stronghold - Each $1/watt takes about 4.5 years to pay off. Also the dc/ac coverters wear out after 7ish years and cost $1 per watt also so you never really break even.

what about increasing resale value of the home?

For your house?

You'll have to make sure your roof can hold them structurally. Also if there's a chance of snow you'll have to factor that into the weight too.

You need to make sure you get as close to the optimal angle for them to get as much sun as possible. If it's windy where you live, that angle can make them into big fuck off sails.

You'll also want to make sure you shingle before you put them up. If you have old shingles you'll just end up with more work to take them down before you can shingle.

Having space for the batteries is also something you'll need to factor in.

I could keep going, but those are good starting points to look at.

Sogsteel - I have been looking into this myself for the Orange County area. From what I have found its better to pay for it yourself but more costly. You get the tax break and don't have to deal with the lease bullshit. I was told if you do it here before July you get locked in for better pricing on the buyback of extra power you provide back to the grid.

in orange county you still have to be tied directly to SCE. when the power goes out, your power goes out as well, even if you have solar and a battery bank. and after all of that, you have to be "approved" by your city and SCE to do it yourself. i've only heard of a maybe 4-5 people getting approved to have both city and solar power.

can you not just opt for a 2-way metering electrical meter and push all the electricity you generate back into the grid and get that much reduced from your monthly electrical bill?

.. that's how it works where I am.. no need for storage/batteries and all that.

my brother did his house. He also took the time and went through his whole house changing appliances, lighting, well pump everything in an attempt to cut down his wattage consumption

He did a lot of research, purchased everything himself and now runs everything off solar/wind. He is looking into a way to tap a generator into his wood stove chimney pipe.

IMO - The batteries are a concern. They are expensive and do not last forever, cost a shit ton to get rid of or recycle.

I have also heard stories of people driving around looking for houses with solar panels installed
then return to steal as much equipment as they can.

wheeels - can you not just opt for a 2-way metering electrical meter and push all the electricity you generate back into the grid and get that much reduced from your monthly electrical bill?

Do you have a tie breaker? Like can you pull yourself off the grid for when the utility goes out?

Im in san diego ao snow is not a concern. Have a tile roof, no shingles

microbiologynerd - Im in san diego ao snow is not a concern. Have a tile roof, no shingles
Then just make sure your house can hold the weight of them and the frames. I know there's been a few people out here that got into them before checking that and it added to the cost to beef up the roof for the weight. We get snow though, so that played a factor.

wheeels - can you not just opt for a 2-way metering electrical meter and push all the electricity you generate back into the grid and get that much reduced from your monthly electrical bill?

This is how it works for the people I know with it. I wouldn't want to deal with battery storage and maintenence.

Mr. Wright -

friend of mine works for google and lives in santa monica. guys a fucking genius and able to do just about anything regarding electronics. he bought the panels, installed them and the converters and basically "unplugged" from the electric company. with weeks he had an SCE employee at his home questioning him. he's currently fighting SCE and the city to be able to keep his panels and battery bank and stay off the "grid." insane.

That's bullshit.

My one dream in life is to buy some land in the country and create a self-contained, self- sustainable homestead for my kids and their kids to always have a refuge to fall back to when life gets too crazy.

I foresee some uphill battles regarding what I want to do (unplug from the grid, own my own water and mineral rights, etc.) but I won't give up. This dream is bigger than just me and I believe it is a truly American dream.

Its a shame our government no longer supports this. Instead they back the big utility companies who will do just fine anyhow without my measly check.

Sogflop -
Mr. Wright -

That"s bullshit.

My one dream in life is to buy some land in the country and create a self-contained, self- sustainable homestead for my kids and their kids to always have a refuge to fall back to when life gets too crazy.

I foresee some uphill battles regarding what I want to do (unplug from the grid, own my own water and mineral rights, etc.) but I won"t give up. This dream is bigger than just me and I believe it is a truly American dream.

Its a shame our government no longer supports this. Instead they back the big utility companies who will do just fine anyhow without my measly check.

well, as long as you're not trying to do it in an incorporated area in CA i think you'll be fine.

my buddies dad lives in Texas and my friend did the exact same set up for him. when their power people came out to look at it they asked him if he'd set up the same for them. completely different attitude and response. same in AZ.

Solar panels can also be used for domestic water heating in conjunction with your regular system. This is often much more economical than the solar PV (electrical) panels. I did a project on it a few years back for college (most of my knowledge on the subject is gone though)