Somebody Please Help!!!!

Ok here is what I'm working with, I have an Alesis QS6.2 keyboard, A Tascam US-122 external sound device, and I'm trying to use Cubasis VST. I have no idea how the hell this program works. For some reason the only effects I can use are General Midi I don't know why this is. I have no clue how to access the other effects on my keyboard. I was hoping that it would just be as simple as switch to the effect i want press record then play. But these programs are extremely confusing. In my Alesis manual it says something about Sysex but I have no clue what sysex is or does. I asked someone at Guitar Center about Sysex and he said if I get this Tascam I wont have to worry about sysex. Can somebody please help? I am completely lost with this. Thank you.

Tyler, Cubase to me is complicated (because I don't know how to use it).

I would suggest going to www.dogsonacid.com or www.futureproducers.com and either: re-post this thread there, or do a search on the forum for some of your keywords.

Oh, and make sure you choose "The Grid" when choosing forums on DOA.

I would go to a site called dogsonacid just because of the name. ;)

thanks, i'll check em out

Hey Chief!

Good to see you back.

Tyler,

I'm at work right now so I can't give you the steps, but there are two ways to do what you want. You most likely won't be able to access both banks (GM and the Alesis sounds) at the same time, but you should be able to do everything else through cubase. I don't know much about sysex either, its all so confusing.

The quick fix is to switch your keyboard to play the Alesis sounds instead of gm. I can't remember the steps off the top of my head, but roughly you open the midi device manager, locate your keyboard and install it. Then on your midi track in the sequence window you have to tell it where you want the midi routed.

It goes through all of this in the operation manual.

This link is just here so I don't forget it.

http://www.computermusic.co.uk/tutorial/vstindex.asp

I was wondering that if it would help if i said how i have every thing setup? I am starting to think that there may be a fault in the way I have everything configured. I also wanted to thank everyone for their advice and help. Oh yeah, chief, that future producers webpage is a goldmine. Thanks for the link.