Someone Stole My Tailgate

Out of town on business and I woke up this morning to discover someone stole the tailgate to my 2012 f250 lariat. Unreal. 

I called a dealer and found out it’s gonna be AT least $2000 for the tailgate with step and backup camera. Then they have to match the paint. Any better resources for this shit?

i. Fucking. Hate. Thieves. 

I’m considering just finding something “custom,” or aftermarket as long as it has a backup camera. Ideas?

I just saw on the news last week that people are starting to steal them in high numbers. Sucks to hear OP.

I suggest finding someone with the same truck and stealing their tailgate.

Circle of life

DonkeyBiscuit -

I just saw on the news last week that people are starting to steal them in high numbers. Sucks to hear OP.

It’s not very hard to remove a tailgate so I guess I should have thought of it. But then again I’m not a piece of shit. 

this is becoming a big thing lately. try using a hose clamp around the hinge. thats th only way i have heard of "securing" it

That sucks! Was it locked? Lately, Ive been irritated that my tailgate locks with the rest of the doors in my truck. Maybe, I should be happy about that?

SeattlesbigDprolapsedME - That sucks! Was it locked? Lately, Ive been irritated that my tailgate locks with the rest of the doors in my truck. Maybe, I should be happy about that?

It was not locked. Looking back, I don’t even know if I COULD lock it. 

ugh. sorry to hear. You don't have comprehensive insurance coverage?

Sorry, man. Check the local salvage yards or pick-a-parts. Maybe, you can get a used one from them?

Get up early and get to a pick a part/ junk yard when they're getting new wrecks.

Knuckle Punch - I suggest finding someone with the same truck and stealing their tailgate.

Circle of life

Lmao! That’s what I did when someone stole the gas cap to my old 1987 Dodge Charger. I knew one of my high school teacher’s had the same car so I swung by his place and helped myself to his gas cap when he was sleeping. Different color cars though. The following Monday, I pulled into school with a blue gas cap on my red car and my teacher pulled in with a white cap on his blue car. Lol! Then my buddy pulled my gas cap out of his bag which he took from my car the previous Friday as a joke. I gave him shit and told him that I took someone else’s cap over the weekend. I told him to come with me after I put the cap back on my car. We walked to the teacher’s classroom and I said, “ Hey Mr. Brunt, I couldn’t help but notice that your car has a gas cap that doesn’t match your car. Lucky for you, I found one that matches!”

i handed him the cap, he thanked me and said suspiciously, “you found this, eh?”

”Indeed I did. Where did you get the white cap?”, I asked.

He grinned and replied, ”You’re not the only person who can FIND things”

New ones are coming with locks. Do the hose clamp thing. Otherwise junkyard? EBay? Craigslist and buy it back? Idk

GOAT St. Pierre - ugh. sorry to hear. You don't have comprehensive insurance coverage?

this covers us in BC, we just pay a deductible and the rest is covered.
it sucks but if you have insurance it's too bad

if not i'd try the wreckers as well

I’m really surprised there aren’t any aftermarket tailgates available. 

GOAT St. Pierre - ugh. sorry to hear. You don't have comprehensive insurance coverage?

I do but I still have to pay the deductible

By the way, sorry for your loss OP. I’m hoping keeping mine locked with a rigid tonneau cover will prevent it from being stolen 

Sorry to hear op. Recently it happened to an employee at the office.I paid her $500 deduct and she did put a lock and hose clamp on her new tg.  So far so good. 

Guy I knew got into drugs.  He would go to dealerships and steal tailgates off the new trucks as a source of income. He said he got $300 a piece.  That was before back up cameras and the steps were rare.  He's a piece of shit.  I don't associate with him anymore.