Someone unplug Stephen Hawkings wheelchair...

I'm so tired of these headlines where Stephen Hawking says this or that about aliens, artificial intelligence, the afterlife, or whatever else as if he's some kind of magical science prophet. His life experiences are 90% made up of what those around him have allowed him to perceive. He has information but it's impossible that he has the same experience as a hands on, top scientist in his field.

I'm not shitting on the disabled but isn't it a little odd that people seem to value Hawking's opinions above, or the same level as a life long theoretical physicist or astro physicist? Being half dead doesn't make you an expert in subjects outside of your field of study.

I can't help but imagine that Hawking hasn't actually been able to speak for years and there's some teenage boy who has watched too many movies controlling his computer. "Dude aliens are bad news, stop talking to them ASAP" "AI is a big fucking mistake. The robots will eventually get super pissed at us and kick our asses."

This is a horrible thread. I'm ashamed to be a part of it.

TTT

He's some kind of celebrity. People who know nothing about physics listen to him because he's supposed to be an authority. In the physics community he has little influence. Phone Post 3.0

AlbertEinstein - He's some kind of celebrity. People who know nothing about physics listen to him because he's supposed to be an authority. In the physics community he has little influence. Phone Post 3.0

He was still good enough to beat you at poker.

Soup and Beer - 

amazing

He should definitely consider working more on the shortage of quality OG threads.

WARRIOR POET - 

well, hawking has never been wrong.....oh wait, he was a few times and very publicly outed on it.

it is just annoying when a physicist thinks he is an expert on everything

yes, you proved black holes exist. oh wait, they are not proven, just a theory? these huge ass things swallowing up planets and shit.

now tell me more about how you know everything about this life and after this life. all ears.

Tell me more about why you think black holes don't exist. I really can't wait to hear what you have to say.

You don't plug in a wheelchair unless it's charging. Phone Post 3.0

What Hawking meant when he said ‘there are no black holes’

Last week, famed physicist Stephen Hawking made headlines with this bold statement: “there are no black holes.”

Those words come directly from Hawking’s latest paper, but they are contained within a larger point involving the mechanics of a black hole and its famous “event horizon.” (That’s the area thought to exist around a black hole from which nothing, not even light, can escape.) To be clear, Hawking was not claiming that black holes don’t exist. Astronomers have been observing black holes for decades, said Joseph Polchinski, theoretical physicist at the Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics at the University of California, Santa Barbara.

Theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking, who is famous for his work in studying black holes, announced last week "there are no black holes." But what did he mean by that? Photo by Karwai Tang.

Theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking, who is famous for his work in studying black holes, announced last week “there are no black holes.” But what did he mean by that? Photo by Karwai Tang.

Driscoll - You don't plug in a wheelchair unless it's charging. Phone Post 3.0

"Don't plug it back in" doesn't have as nice of a ring to it.

Soup and Beer -

Stephen Blockings Phone Post 3.0

WARRIOR POET - 

well, hawking has never been wrong.....oh wait, he was a few times and very publicly outed on it.

yes, you proved black holes exist. oh wait, they are not proven, just a theory? these huge ass things swallowing up planets and shit.

now tell me more about how you know everything about this life and after this life. all ears.

Jesus fuck dude, you're the tidbits of science.

Go on and tell us more about proving existence and theory with relation to black holes.

^ That's pretty amazing

Pfft, he just finished playing the Mass Effect series on his computer and now he is all anti-AI.

I am also disabled, lived all my life in a wheelchair, I got a degenerative illness much like Mr. Dawkins.

OP, you are fucking ignorant piece of shit. Sorry, it need to be said.

Dawkins had a fruitful life before he started declining heavily. He experienced the same world as you. In fact, he had a few wifes/kids as far as I know.

You don't know shit yet you feel like trumpeting your 100% retarded opinion, the actions of a self important scum fuck.

Mertvaya Ruka - I am also disabled, lived all my life in a wheelchair, I got a degenerative illness much like Mr. Dawkins.

OP, you are fucking ignorant piece of shit. Sorry, it need to be said.

Dawkins had a fruitful life before he started declining heavily. He experienced the same world as you. In fact, he had a few wifes/kids as far as I know.

You don't know shit yet you feel like trumpeting your 100% retarded opinion, the actions of a self important scum fuck.

lol should I even touch this one?

I'll just let it... sit

lol

WARRIOR POET - 
jdsga - 
WARRIOR POET - 

Tell me more about why you think black holes don't exist. I really can't wait to hear what you have to say.

please point out where i said they do not exist

I simply say they have not been PROVEN

I don't know why you are so butthurt about that statement

blackholes exist in theory but have not been proven. I mean, the therm "black" in black hole should pretty much give it away.

i just find it ironic that even in physics there is a certain leap of faith to be made. just an observation. i feel like Isaac fucking Newton

i also find Hawkings attempts at philosophy pretty shitt, but that is another thread.

You said they are not proven and just theory. That's not much of a leap from they don't exist. Anyhoo, I guess you've never seen all the pictures of stellar mass and supermassive black holes. It's best to be quiet when you don't know what you're talking about.