Something being overlooked!

While you guys are discussing Wyatt vs Ambrose or how disappointing the ending was, etc, you're all overlooking one very obnoxious fact.

Vince and WWE have done it again. Bray Wyatt wasn't the only hologram at HIAC. Heading toward the PPV it was very clear to most fans that Ambrose was the man full of steam and momentum. For months they've sold Rollins as the potential future of WWE. Everyone wanted a piece of him. Even Orton was coming out of a slump with some storyline changes, big moments, and upcoming face turn.

However, despite all that, who ends up coming at on top? F*@&ing CENA.

AGAIN.

No one wanted Cena to beat Ambrose.
No one wanted to see Cena vs Rollins.
No one wanted to see Cena vs Orton AGAIN.
No one wants to watch Cena vs Brock again...but it's going to happen for the title.

"To hell with everyone else's momentum...let's take tge guy everyone is sick of and find a subtle way to keep him at the top while incorporating storylines with the guys people really want to see..."

F you WWE. Phone Post 3.0

Or the lack of blood Phone Post 3.0

WWE couldn't push a guy in a shopping cart. Phone Post 3.0

I like the direction they took with orton tonight. Phone Post 3.0

Also, all i gotta say is seth rollins is a bad motherfucker, that dude is good, all the bumps and everything he takes, im lovin that dude more and more. I just hope all his crazy shit doesnt get him too seriously injured in the future, that match tonight was good, that powerbomb tossing cena into the turnbuckle was awesome, and he looked in legit pain when rollins hit his back on the announce table. Phone Post 3.0

mathew10lb - Also, all i gotta say is seth rollins is a bad motherfucker, that dude is good, all the bumps and everything he takes, im lovin that dude more and more. I just hope all his crazy shit doesnt get him too seriously injured in the future, that match tonight was good, that powerbomb tossing cena into the turnbuckle was awesome, and he looked in legit pain when rollins hit his back on the announce table. Phone Post 3.0
I am going to bet a dollar and say he was really in pain. Phone Post 3.0

mathew10lb - I like the direction they took with orton tonight. Phone Post 3.0
I agree...that segment was explosive and sudden...big contrast to the trickling water promos they force on us. Orton deserves a good face/anti-hero run. Phone Post 3.0

mathew10lb - Also, all i gotta say is seth rollins is a bad motherfucker, that dude is good, all the bumps and everything he takes, im lovin that dude more and more. I just hope all his crazy shit doesnt get him too seriously injured in the future, that match tonight was good, that powerbomb tossing cena into the turnbuckle was awesome, and he looked in legit pain when rollins hit his back on the announce table. Phone Post 3.0
Rollins is prob my favorite in-ring wrestler. Guy does incredible stuff and is a tough SOB. The match with Cena was fantastic. Cena bugs me though. Nothing against him personally or about his wrestling, it's the superman crap I can't stand. Like after the ring was cleared why did he look unscathed holding his hands up high? He just got beat up by Rollins in a gruelling match, fought off a ring full of guys...the least he could do is look a wee bit tired and relieved that he's still standing. You know...like a human. Phone Post 3.0

Rollins sells injuries really well. I have thought he was legit injured a few times. Phone Post 3.0

KerryKingLeads - Rollins sells injuries really well. I have thought he was legit injured a few times. Phone Post 3.0

The way he reacted after the RKO, not to mention how he sold the actual move. But the look on his face like he was waking up from being knocked out, was amazing. I have seen people in real life with the exact same look.

I'm so sick of John Cena. Is Cena an egomaniac? What kind of person at this point wouldn't be like "no I think we should run with one of the younger guys. I'm not gonna be here forever, you know"?

Fuck Phone Post 3.0

cool hand Ed - I'm so sick of John Cena. Is Cena an egomaniac? What kind of person at this point wouldn't be like "no I think we should run with one of the younger guys. I'm not gonna be here forever, you know"?

Fuck Phone Post 3.0
Judging by such lines as, "The future goes through ME!" and "...go face to face with the man who runs the place!" I think it's safe to say he's a bit high on himself.

I don't care if it's the writers or Vince himself who writes these things. At the end of the day, he says his lines with conviction and embraces it. Phone Post 3.0

HefX -
cool hand Ed - I'm so sick of John Cena. Is Cena an egomaniac? What kind of person at this point wouldn't be like "no I think we should run with one of the younger guys. I'm not gonna be here forever, you know"?

Fuck Phone Post 3.0
Judging by such lines as, "The future goes through ME!" and "...go face to face with the man who runs the place!" I think it's safe to say he's a bit high on himself.

I don't care if it's the writers or Vince himself who writes these things. At the end of the day, he says his lines with conviction and embraces it. Phone Post 3.0
That's a really good point about those lines. Phone Post 3.0

KerryKingLeads - Rollins sells injuries really well. I have thought he was legit injured a few times. Phone Post 3.0
I thought he legit messed up his knee on that raw a couple months back when he jumped out of the ring in a tag match and the medical staff swarmed him. Phone Post 3.0

This article is a bit old, but I think it perfectly describes the Cena problem:

http://whatculture.com/wwe/8-reasons-john-cena-problem-wwe.php

First of all, we need to get one thing out of the way. This isn't your usual, John-Cena-can't-wrestle, 5-Moves-Of-Doom IWC article. We're not jumping the smark with this one.
Just as jobbers – sorry, we meant 'enhancement talent' – like Heath Slater and Zack Ryder have their place in a modern day pro wrestling organisation, and just as comedy workers like Santino Marella and Hornswoggle have a role to play, so too does John Cena's kiddie-friendly Superman character.
And it's not just down to the vast amount of merchandise that the man sells, or the proven drawing power Cena brings to house shows and pay-per-views alike. Even in 2014, there's a cache to the persona of the never-say-die clean cut babyface that's survived the Attitude Era's blood and thunder approach to booking a pro wrestling angle. Cena's over like clover.
But it's been a looong time since Cena turned babyface: over a decade, in fact. In that time, a lot of things have changed in WWE, not least the move to PG-13. In 2014, there are a lot of things wrong with WWE's programming. And the worst of them is John Cena.

John Cena's overcoming-all-odds Superman character is a throwback to the golden era of the 1980s, and to Hulk Hogan... and of course, Cena is the Hogan of the modern era, complete with younger audience, over-inflated physique and indomitable persona.
The problem is that Cena seems to exist in a different universe to the rest of the roster. With the exception of 2011's Zack Ryder, no other wrestler wears nearly every item of merchandise he owns to the ring, and no other wrestler wears his own merchandise as though it was a super hero costume.
While Cena remains a throwback to a more colourful, less complicated era of national wrestling programming, pretty much everyone else on RAW and Smackdown belongs squarely in 2014: leaving part time anomalies like the Undertaker aside, this is the reality era. But the man's got to feud with someone.
The inevitable result is that Cena (who can't and won't lose clean to someone below him in the pecking order) is continually being placed into conflict with people who operate on an entirely different, more athletic and reality-based model of professional wrestling to him... and then beating them easily, often nonsensically, usually no-selling their finishers and submission holds. And then those wrestlers have to go back into new feuds and angles with other wrestlers of their ilk and attempt to carry on as if Cena had never happened to them.
Imagine that this was UFC, and Cain Velasquez was suddenly competing against a Pokemon, and you've got some sense of the disconnect that occurs every time Cena gets into it with another member of the roster. It's weird... like they have to take a vacation from their jobs to get beaten up by Barney. More to the point, it skews the programming, especially when he's in so many main events.

John Cena's been babyface for so long – and an almost identical babyface character, at that – that he's feuded with every significant heel on the roster, and plenty of the other babyfaces.
The feud he's just ended with Bray Wyatt is the only serious angle he's been involved in since The Rock at the beginning of 2013. His feud with Ryback after Wrestlemania 29 was short and almost entirely meaningless, while the angle with Del Rio over the World Heavyweight Championship late last year was more of a placeholder than anything else, Cena giving Del Rio the brush-off almost before the first bell had rung.
John Cena is still the top babyface in WWE, but has no one to compete against that he hasn't fought far too many times before. Whether you believe that his character is stale or not, it's difficult to argue that he has anything new to bring to WWE programming in 2014 unless a major change takes place.
Without a clear-cut feud of his own to take him through the summer, Cena has nothing to do. Nonetheless, Cena must remain a central part of the show, especially given the paucity of top fan favourites in the roster at present. So WWE are forced to have Cena kill time interfering in and skewing other people's storylines, taking part in six man tags and one-off matches.
Who seriously wanted the remains of The Shield to tag with Cena the week after Rollins famously turned on them? Who really imagines that Cena can take the place of Bryan's underdog rebel babyface in feuding with The Authority? As Punk once said, he's the New York Giants, not the Red Sox – underdog isn't his thing.
All that's left is to have him placed in over-the-top gimmick matches by the heel boss and overcome the odds yet again. But in 2014, does anyone really think that there are any odds that John Cena can't overcome? Overwhelming stipulations, handicap matches, giants and monsters... Cena's steamrollered them all.

Everyone knows that John Cena follows the Hogan model when it comes to losing. Not just in the sense that he's got the stroke with the office to have final say on who he puts over and how, but in the sense that it's accepted – without really needing to be discussed – that he won't lose cleanly to anyone that's on a lower level to him.
There's nothing really wrong with that, as a piece of booking received wisdom. In an ideal world, as perennial top dog in WWE, Cena and the office would be looking at his upcoming feuds as opportunities to make new stars as well as to give him something to do on television and pay-per-view.
That means that when he does lose cleanly, it means something major. All pretty standard Booking 101 when it comes to a babyface of John Cena's stature. The problem arises when you consider exactly how long this has been the case – ten years or more. Even Hogan took breaks from the company from time to time. Cena comes back from injuries like he's a human boomerang.
It's a long time for one man to maintain a chokehold on the top wrestling promotion in the business. Both CM Punk and Daniel Bryan have benefited significantly as babyface stars from getting Cena's nod in recent times – and now WWE is forced to write around both, as Punk elects to take early retirement and Bryan is sidelined with neck issues.
Who else is there for Cena to put over? People thought that heel wunderkind Bray Wyatt might get the rub, but that hasn't proven to be the case, Cena convincingly tearing the Wyatt Family apart on several pay-per-views this year. Reigns and Cesaro aren't ready for the main event.
Everyone's a lesser star to Cena now, and the outcome of any feuds with lesser stars is a foregone conclusion. Like Wyatt, Cena's just going to run right over them.

(continued)

You've all seen it a hundred or more times now. John Cena takes a nasty move full on, shakes it off and springs back like he's made of rubber. John Cena's injured coming into the match, but forgets about it moments after the bell rings. Cena was in a war last night! Yet here he is on RAW, cracking jokes and mugging to camera. Superman wins again.
Taking multiple chair shots or a DDT to the concrete floor, being speared through walls, going straight through a table – it all washes right over him. Ordinarily, any of these moments would be an excuse for the fan favourite to be pinned without losing face, but Cena will power out of anything: including supposedly protected submission moves. Remember how hard WWE worked to sell us on Del Rio's unstoppable cross armbreaker finish? Now remember Cena powering through the hold while it was applied to his (kayfabe) injured arm, to convert it into a powerbomb?
And it's catching. Sheamus has been The Great White Cena for a while now. Even superworker Daniel Bryan has caught the no-sell bug, being booked to take three tombstone piledrivers in a row onto the floor, the steps and the announce table from Kane in full-on demon mode, making Michael Cole do his quiet, reverent voice, and yet shrugging it off to win a twenty-two minutes Extreme Rules match against the same demon less than two weeks later.
It's a writing and booking issue, not necessarily the fault of the individual wrestlers, but it's telling. Anyone with an 'indomitable' aspect to their character is now beginning to take on aspects of Cena and no selling big moves and angles. It's as if they don't believe that someone can beat the odds without becoming a super hero.
Cena is a cartoon character. We don't expect him to do much that's realistic. But when a brawler like Sheamus can pull an athletic power move like the brogue kick out of nowhere despite being pummeled for ten minutes beforehand and then stand there, strong and tall as ever and celebrate with the crowd, there's something amiss.

It's been happening for a while now, but clean cut babyface megastar John Cena is the moral compass for the WWE... occasionally.
When someone in authority looks to be abusing their power, herrrrrres' Johnny! If he has nothing else to do on the show, that is. He's jumped into programmes featuring a heel general manager Vickie Guerrero to tell her off for riding roughshod over people. He's done likewise for Vince McMahon over the CM Punk storyline a few years back, and he's stepped in for Daniel Bryan multiple times in the last year or so. But only when he's not busy.
There are rarely consequences for Cena in doing so. Sure, he might be booked in a nasty gimmick match later on as a 'punishment', but John Cena eats impossible odds for breakfast – he's actually more likely to win a match like that on television than he is a standard one-on-one.
Fundamentally, it's not good for a feud and for the babyface who's supposed to triumph over the corrupt authority figure, if their big brother has to step in and save them on national television by 'having a word' with the boss. When he can be bothered, of course.

As the biggest star WWE's had for a decade, Cena's backstage stroke is huge. Unfortunately, recent years have seen that power find its way into promos and even whole wrestling angles.
The Authority sneer right over everyone else, but act as though they're intimidated by Cena. Vince McMahon gets a nervous look in his eyes, stammers and even does his trademark scared 'gulp' when Cena chooses to berate him.
He's capable of making and changing the finish of matches on his own initiative: being placed into number one contender slots immediately upon return from injury; forming his own team of top superstars to take out an opponent's stable; getting a title shot out of nowhere against an exhausted Rey Mysterio at the end of the night; the list goes on and on.
Now, as well as placing himself as WWE's moral compass (but only when he feels like it), he's started describing himself as the gatekeeper of the main event. Literally, on television, he's telling other talent that they have to go through him to make it further in the company. It's like a redneck daddy telling his teenage son to take a swing at him, be a man.
When an indestructible Pokemon is the secret power behind the WWE, no one has a chance.

This one is a perennial complaint against Cena the man, as though he was personally responsible for booking every angle he was involved in.
Let's make this clear. John Cena is Hogan in WWF, not Hogan in WCW. He might have the final say when it comes to his storylines, but he's not responsible for writing them. He's the hardest working man in the company next to Vince McMahon himself, he doesn't have the time to run his creative as well.
Now, you can blame him for failing to use his stroke to change bad booking decisions all you like, but you can't blame him for originating them. But just because Cena hasn't deliberately buried other superstars doesn't mean that many don't end up six feet under regardless. This isn't about losing clean, or even wins and losses at all. This is about how working with Cena derails promising careers.
The fact is that working with Cena is rarely a rite of passage leading to the big leagues. We're not talking about your Big Shows, Lesnars , Ortons, Kanes or Punks, all of whom could survive an encounter with Superman with their aura and reputation undiminished.
We're talking about up-and-comers like Umaga, Del Rio, Ryback and the entire Nexus (both the stable and the storyline), not to mention lesser angles with Ziggler, Masters, Otunga etc. And let's not even go into how working with Cena killed Zack Ryder's career.
John Cena is always booked to be the single, only and sole star of every story he's involved in, both going in and coming out. Superstars like Punk and Bryan, who came out of their feuds with Cena elevated, are the exception not the rule.

All of our previous points are fairly obvious to anyone with a working knowledge of the product for the last ten years or so. If that's the case, then why on earth haven't the WWE fixed the problem? Why have they actually allowed it to get worse?
John Cena eats, sleeps and breathes WWE. He's the hardest working employee they have, both as an onscreen character and behind the scenes and as an ambassador for the company. But he's not old school wrestling like Triple H and the Undertaker, the two other biggest company men around. They have professional wrestling in their blood.
Cena has WWE in his blood, and there's a big difference. 'John Cena' (the character) was created within the WWE system and John Cena (the wrestler) was raised as a WWE performer. He has few interests outside of work and now that his marriage is over and he's in a relationship with Nikki Bella it can be argued that he has no life outside of working for the WWE.
He's also the company's biggest star, sells the most tickets, and has been the biggest merchandise mover for so many years that no one seems destined to topple him. The accepted reason for Cena retaining practically the same character for over a decade is that both he and WWE wish to keep their profitable status quo going for as long as possible, which means that both he and WWE have a vested interest in keeping everything we've discussed in this article exactly as it is.
Driven entirely by profit motive, creativity is not a factor in John Cena's booking. There's no desire to do anything with his character except keep it going. Protection of the WWE's cash cow is the primary – hell, we'll say it, the only – concern here.
When nothing matters more than the perpetuation of creative bankruptcy in the service of money, no matter who else suffers as a result, there's something seriously wrong with the overall product. Skewed around the blinkered depiction of a single character, John Cena is what's wrong with the WWE today.

cool hand Ed - All of our previous points are fairly obvious to anyone with a working knowledge of the product for the last ten years or so. If that's the case, then why on earth haven't the WWE fixed the problem? Why have they actually allowed it to get worse?
John Cena eats, sleeps and breathes WWE. He's the hardest working employee they have, both as an onscreen character and behind the scenes and as an ambassador for the company. But he's not old school wrestling like Triple H and the Undertaker, the two other biggest company men around. They have professional wrestling in their blood.
Cena has WWE in his blood, and there's a big difference. 'John Cena' (the character) was created within the WWE system and John Cena (the wrestler) was raised as a WWE performer. He has few interests outside of work and now that his marriage is over and he's in a relationship with Nikki Bella it can be argued that he has no life outside of working for the WWE.
He's also the company's biggest star, sells the most tickets, and has been the biggest merchandise mover for so many years that no one seems destined to topple him. The accepted reason for Cena retaining practically the same character for over a decade is that both he and WWE wish to keep their profitable status quo going for as long as possible, which means that both he and WWE have a vested interest in keeping everything we've discussed in this article exactly as it is.
Driven entirely by profit motive, creativity is not a factor in John Cena's booking. There's no desire to do anything with his character except keep it going. Protection of the WWE's cash cow is the primary – hell, we'll say it, the only – concern here.
When nothing matters more than the perpetuation of creative bankruptcy in the service of money, no matter who else suffers as a result, there's something seriously wrong with the overall product. Skewed around the blinkered depiction of a single character, John Cena is what's wrong with the WWE today.
Great article! Very accurate in its depiction of the Cenagitis bacterium that has infected and crippled the WWE's creative evolution. VU for posting. Phone Post 3.0

The thing is VKM knows Cena is dependable, he knows the guy will move merch and get a reaction. So anytime Vince gets a little nervous he runs back to Cena.

BigWilliam - The thing is VKM knows Cena is dependable, he knows the guy will move merch and get a reaction. So anytime Vince gets a little nervous he runs back to Cena.
You're absolutely right. Problem is, Vince doesn't just get nervous, he's downright skittish and hypervigilant. Phone Post 3.0