Something I noticed...

Yeah all those full power leg and body kicks were just to show his love and affection.

Vera's last fight, countless muay thai fights and a few broken legs might not agree with that

Chomas, look up the stats. He won every single aspect of that fight minus body shots.

"didnt he throw hooks when finishing rashad?"

Yes but he only seems to do it once the opponent has been rocked. He doesn't seem to do them when countering or in the normal flow of combat. Of course I could be wrong as I haven't watched all his fights. He works his angles but only through footwork not through the angle of the punch.

Elvis

Interesting that some of you who have Shogun winning the fight saying round five was the closest, when the other half of the Shogun cadre said that was his most dominant round.

Just goes to show how subjective these things can be, even when you have people who have the same fighter winning the fight.

wasen't the talking to the ref about him loseing his mouthpiece?

Chomas - Yeah but Shogun never went in for the kill, maybe because he couldn't. Leg kicks shouldn't win fights, and they didn't last night.

Leg kicks, BRUTAL body kicks, solid punches landed, agression and moving foawrd throughout the fight, winning more rounds, having Machida on wobbly legs, and finishing stronger ALL win fights. Especially when you put all that together. Machida lost.

Elvis, I imagine it is harder to notice things like this while you're actually fighting in the cage. What's your take? Is this something you would have noticed while fighting Machida, or would it have more likely come from the corner?

That is always a problem. The corner's perspective is never the judges perspective. You can NEVER know for sure what the judge is seeing or thinking.

Elvis

Machida won no rounds. Period.

Elvis - "didnt he throw hooks when finishing rashad?"

Yes but he only seems to do it once the opponent has been rocked. He doesn't seem to do them when countering or in the normal flow of combat. Of course I could be wrong as I haven't watched all his fights. He works his angles but only through footwork not through the angle of the punch.

Elvis

But this makes sense given his in-out style of attack, no? He lunges in from the outside like a fencer, usually with a punch-trip combo. He wants to keep his momentum (particularly his rotational momentum) controlled to either complete the trip, react to a counter from his opponent, or get the hell back out. It seems much easier to do this with a short straight punch than a lunging hook, overhand right, or worst of all, an outside uppercut.

And of course, he never, ever infights with punches, so you don't see any inside hooks or uppercuts (which are rare in MMA anyway because of the clinch game).

Regarding Shogun's blocking, I kept re-watching Rua-Liddell leading up to this fight and Shogun was using the same technique (forearms up and together in front) in that fight, no doubt in anticipation of that deadly short counter right that Liddell throws right up the middle. I was thinking that would be perfect for blocking Machida if he could be quick and disciplined enough about doing it. Fighting Liddell might have turned out to be great prep for this fight.

Elvis - That is always a problem. The corner's perspective is never the judges perspective. You can NEVER know for sure what the judge is seeing or thinking.

Elvis

esp when many of the rounds were so close

TTT

TTT

Elvis - 

That is always a problem. The corner's perspective is never the judges perspective. You can NEVER know for sure what the judge is seeing or thinking.

Elvis

Thanks for the reply, Elvis. I was referring though to spotting things like you did - that he throws straight punches and no hooks. Is that something that you as a fighter can pick up on and capitalize on in the middle of a round, or does that kind of advice usually come more from the corner?

I've been watching MMA a long time, trained some myself over the years, and enjoy trying to spot things like you pointed out. I hadn't noticed this about Machida, good observation and spot on.

TTT, still hoping to see you kick butt at UFC Australia Elvis!

Sometimes as a fighter you will pick it up. Though this is something that the corner should be watching for. Of course these things should also be reviewed in the lead up to a fight when planning fight strategies as well. But a good corner will pick up any changes as well during the match.

Elvis

you are the man elvis sinosic

you are the man elvis sinosic

doubl post....what can i say, elvis is still the man. mandela!

Nice observation on the hooks