Something weird from last night

While watching the fights last night I noticed something a little weird.

Cub, Jacare, Rockhold, and Machida are all usually physical specimens (machida not so much but at 185 he usually has a 6 pack; last night he kinda looked like 205 Machida). I'm usually really impressed (beep) by how shredded these guys get from their weight cuts but they all seemed pretty "normal" last night.

Are strength and conditioning programs changing? Are fighters being extra cautious with the supplements they take after someone like Anderson got popped? Are fighters dropping muscle mass to make weight cuts easier?

Did anyone else notice this? Was I drunk? Phone Post 3.0

Luke and Jacare looked amazing physically as usual.

Machida and Cub looked noticeably softer.

I was going to bring up that point about Cub. He switched camps for this fight. And he looked softer and had a poor performance technically and in gamelan and overall output.

It was known ahead of time that he planned to come in heavier for this fight. Maybe he thought the extra weight could help him in this match up.

I don't know about any of these guys specifically, but with the stronger PED testing going on now, I expect that we will see a decrease in two things:

1- Superhero physiques.
2- Fighters remaining dominant in their late 30s and 40s.

Is that what we saw the other night? I don't know. I won't speculate because I have no facts to support any of it. However, I do expect those two changes to happen. Phone Post 3.0

Cub was distinctly softer. Machida looked more like the 205 version instead of 85 too.

Rehydration sometimes. Totally obvious for some fighters, say Honda.

Qannebiss - I don't know about any of these guys specifically, but with the stronger PED testing going on now, I expect that we will see a decrease in two things:

1- Superhero physiques.
2- Fighters remaining dominant in their late 30s and 40s.

Is that what we saw the other night? I don't know. I won't speculate because I have no facts to support any of it. However, I do expect those two changes to happen. Phone Post 3.0

I definitely agree with #2.

Of course this assumes the new testing procedures will do the trick. It remains to be seen.

Cub looked soft. Maybe he had a hang over of that title shot slipping far far away when Frankie tooled him.

Sounds like Machida was hurt so he probably couldn't train as well so probably reason he looked a bit softer. I could be wrong and have no way of knowing this but I highly doubt Machida has ever used sauce but I could be wrong.

Hardcharger - Luke and Jacare looked amazing physically as usual.

I was going to bring up that point about Cub. He switched camps for this fight. And he looked softer and had a poor performance technically and in gamelan and overall output.
Where did cub train?

Jackson was still in his corner. Why would Jackson corner him if he didnt train with him? Phone Post 3.0

The Sultan - 
Hardcharger - Luke and Jacare looked amazing physically as usual.

Where did cub train?

Jackson was still in his corner. Why would Jackson corner him if he didnt train with him? Phone Post 3.0

Mgmt deal? Because he needs a MMA coach in his corner?

Wait until the NBA tests for HGH next year to see athletes looking differently.

No more jacked up LeBron types.

Back to skinny tall guys as in every other era of the game.

The NBA thanks to HGH looks like linebackers all playing basketball and it'll change.

No doubt UFC testing measures and the impending changes coming will drastically alter fighter physiques and performance. Phone Post 3.0

Yeah, if the testing is successful, it's only a matter of time before the fighters go back to looking like Nick Diaz and BJ Penn. You cannot train for 10 hours a day during camp and maintain a large amount of muscle mass. Unless you are willing to supplement what your body naturally produces. Phone Post 3.0

It does seem like a weird time. Guys might be trying to get off gear and adjust while others seem to be going full bore until July 1st. It will be interesting to see who is where by the end of the year. Phone Post 3.0