Sorry, but I have more questions...

Why do certain people get so mad when you call a match a fight? And if Jiu Jitsu isn't real fighting then why do wins by submission count?

Also, why do people get so mad when you call rolling sparring? Don't all martial arts have some form of sparring?

Sorry. Somebody is being a little douchey and I am wondering what y'all thoughts are.

ilovetortillas - Why do certain people get so mad when you call a match a fight? And if Jiu Jitsu isn't real fighting then why do wins by submission count?

Also, why do people get so mad when you call rolling sparring? Don't all martial arts have some form of sparring?

cause real fighters don't roll around on the ground in pajamas and call it fighting

edit - I'm joking, but I'm not sure how obvious that would be given my post.  I dunno, i call them matches but plenty of the guys at the gym call them fights.  I dont really care one way or the other

falsecrack - 
ilovetortillas - Why do certain people get so mad when you call a match a fight? And if Jiu Jitsu isn't real fighting then why do wins by submission count?

cause real fighters don't roll around on the ground in pajamas and call it fighting

please answer again for no gi, sir

not sure, I have seen it called rolling or sparring. I am more apt to call it rolling but not sure why anyone would get butt hurt at calling it sparring. 

When I first learned BJJ it was no gi and we actually called it Randori

Sounds ridiculous to me. I've never heard that anyone ever cared about wich word is more appropriate. Doesn't matter if it's mma, boxing, no gi, jiu jitsu or whatever. You are still fighting for positions and control your opponent. So it's a fight and it's a match as well. And roll is just slang for grapple. imo

Randori= The exact meaning of randori depends on the martial art it is used in. In judo, jujitsu and Shodokan Aikido, among others, it most often refers to one-on-one sparring where partners attempt to resist and counter each other's techniques.

We used to have a poster named Train Judo who would explain such terminology, but he hasn't graced us with his presence in a long time.

Imo fight is a little much. If you get caught in a sub you can tap and end the match. In a fight, there's no stopping someone from physically hurting you. In an mma fight you can also tap to strikes, however, your ass is still getting struck. At no time in a bjj match is anyone ever worried about being legitimately harmed. I'm talking about physically having your ass kicked. No one goes into a bjj match worried about getting the shit kicked out of them, because it's not going to happen.

You can get absolutely worked in a bjj match. You can get absolutely steamrolled. Taken down, guard passed, mounted, and submitted but you're going to get up and walk off the mat like it was just another roll. You're not going to the hospital and you're not concerned for your physical well being.

If we consider a bjj match a fight we might as well consider football, rugby, wrestling, judo, pretty much any sport related to physically trying to stop someone from doing something... We might as well call those fights too.

Now, I'm not arguing for one side or the other. I'm just saying these might be some reason people don't consider bjj matches fights. You could call it a tango for all I care.....

Must -

Sounds ridiculous to me. I've never heard that anyone ever cared about wich word is more appropriate. Doesn't matter if it's mma, boxing, no gi, jiu jitsu or whatever. You are still fighting for positions and control your opponent. So it's a fight and it's a match as well. And roll is just slang for grapple. imo

Exactly! I didn't really think it was that big of a deal until somebody made a big deal out of it. I was just curious what y'all thought about it. Phone Post 3.0

All semantics. Phone Post 3.0

Its considered fighting IMO.

If you go to the UG and said fight for a grappling match, you'd get attacked on all fronts. An argument can be made that anything that isn't an all out NHB fight... Isn't a fight. boxing isn't really a fight either.

I usually call boxing/KB/ MT = bouts
Wrestling/bjj/grappling= matches or rolls
Mma= I say fights. Phone Post 3.0

I think it's a cultural hang up with western civilization, and the U.S. In particular; If it doesn't involve fists the activity does not constitute a fight. In this definition, Royce Gracie, for example, in a couple of his earliest UFC fights, feigned a kick and was able to slip under his opponents attempts to punch him and avoided getting struck. He did not deliver any strikes at all in one or two instances at least. He merely subdued the opponent who was there to "fight", presumably with the intention of landing strikes with any and all of his available apendages. Using this model: Did Royce actually fight -or not-in those instances? I personally call "rolling" just that -and a grappling or boxing-only engagement a "match", but don't worry about terms much

circusmonkey - I think it's a cultural hang up with western civilization, and the U.S. In particular; If it doesn't involve fists the activity does not constitute a fight. In this definition, Royce Gracie, for example, in a couple of his earliest UFC fights, feigned a kick and was able to slip under his opponents attempts to punch him and avoided getting struck. He did not deliver any strikes at all in one or two instances at least. He merely subdued the opponent who was there to "fight", presumably with the intention of landing strikes with any and all of his available apendages. Using this model: Did Royce actually fight -or not-in those instances? I personally call "rolling" just that -and a grappling or boxing-only engagement a "match", but don't worry about terms much
Yeah I think you call a no time limit, no weight class, NHB competition a fight regardless of the outcome. His opponent could strike him whenever and pretty much however he wanted. He won the fight using bjj and without striking.

But we all know what happened in the other matches. Royces teeth could have just as easily been kicked out of his mouth. That's definitley considered a fight if you ask me. It's hard to consider that combat situation the same as a bjj match divided by weight, age, skill level, and so many rules. I think that's where most people make a big deal about the word fight being used for a bjj match. Phone Post 3.0

A_Butler - 
circusmonkey - I think it's a cultural hang up with western civilization, and the U.S. In particular; If it doesn't involve fists the activity does not constitute a fight. In this definition, Royce Gracie, for example, in a couple of his earliest UFC fights, feigned a kick and was able to slip under his opponents attempts to punch him and avoided getting struck. He did not deliver any strikes at all in one or two instances at least. He merely subdued the opponent who was there to "fight", presumably with the intention of landing strikes with any and all of his available apendages. Using this model: Did Royce actually fight -or not-in those instances? I personally call "rolling" just that -and a grappling or boxing-only engagement a "match", but don't worry about terms much
Yeah I think you call a no time limit, no weight class, NHB competition a fight regardless of the outcome. His opponent could strike him whenever and pretty much however he wanted. He won the fight using bjj and without striking.

But we all know what happened in the other matches. Royces teeth could have just as easily been kicked out of his mouth. That's definitley considered a fight if you ask me. It's hard to consider that combat situation the same as a bjj match divided by weight, age, skill level, and so many rules. I think that's where most people make a big deal about the word fight being used for a bjj match. Phone Post 3.0

Good analysis. I agree 100% with your statements.

Must - 

By that logic thumb wrestling and arm wrestling are 'fights'.

I would sit down to piss before I call any kind of wrestling or grappling match a 'fight'. It's something pencil neck BJJ subreddit homos use so they can feel like a badarse when they tell their mother they had 'two fights' on the weekend.

I was competing in boxing and kickboxing for 12 yrs, before I started grappling. If you've been trading blows in a competitive boxing match there is no doubt that you're also in a fight. In every sense of the word.

I don't buy that MMA competition is a fight while other forms of full contact fighting only qualify as matches. With that logic the only time using the word fight should be an actual "street fight". No rules, no ref and no judges. Anything else is  a sanctioned sports competition and far from an actual fight.

I'd give zero f*cks whether someone called my MMA fight for a MMA match or a grappling match for a fight. Like someone said it's just semantics.

ilovetortillas - Why do certain people get so mad when you call a match a fight? And if Jiu Jitsu isn't real fighting then why do wins by submission count?

I really think it goes back to a post I read by shen. People want to feel like only they have the "secret." And so they take those portions which are different or unique, including terminology and use them to smear other "lesser" arts.

In the end it really only demonstrates insecurity on the part of the individual making the noise. Phone Post 3.0

Even the esteemed Joe Rogan went off on one of his podcasts about guys that call jiu jitsu matches "fights." He had an mma fighter on who agreed with him on this. I don't remember who the fighter was.

I think it's kind of silly to call a match a fight. I wrestled, we never called a match a fight. But whatever. As far as "rolling" vs "sparring" - I live in Sweden and here they say "sparring" and if you say "rulla" (borrowing the English expression for rolling) you kind of sound like a douche.