South African moving to England, advice?

Hello og, I'm moving to England via an ancestral visa in the next few months, and it seems like I'll be in Birmingham or a town called Tamworth in Leicestershire, but my pommy mates that are in London and Liverpool said its not a good place to move to, is this true? In my mind I doubt that those places are more dangerous than my country so that's my logic, any advice? 

I'm a white English South African if that makes a difference 

Mate - South Africans will INSIST that the UK is really dangerous blah blah blah but it's ridiculous the relative levels of crime to SA.

My wife’s parents legitimately think it’s really dangerous here because they watch sky news and when there’s a murder it’s high profile news - not realising that’s because it doesn’t happen much compared to SA

Birmingham is a big city so has nice bits and shitty bits like most big cities. Tamworth is I imagine much quieter. It’s a small market town and is 93% white so traditional small English market town. Very quiet and probably not much going on.

If you will move to Tamworth you will piss yourself at any suggestions that the UK is anything other than super safe

mathambo -

Hello og, I'm moving to England via an ancestral visa in the next few months, and it seems like I'll be in Birmingham or a town called Tamworth in Leicestershire, but my pommy mates that are in London and Liverpool said its not a good place to move to, is this true? In my mind I doubt that those places are more dangerous than my country so that's my logic, any advice? 

I live in Leicester. Tamworth is a decent place. No city is really much better or worse than any other from my experience. And knowing a couple of South Africans here, you are right its definitely more dangerous.

Ask away if there's anything else you want to know. Beers when you arrive!

Wat Wil jy maak daar. Dit reen elke dag

Those anti-carjacking flamethrowers are illegal in the UK. 

DaveFu -

Those anti-carjacking flamethrowers are illegal in the UK. 

Those are from the nineties though. I wonder if anyone got a nice burn off 

UFCMann -

Wel vir een ding, hy wil nie elke dag oor sy skouer loer nie. Hy wil ook nie vir sy lewe vrees wanneer hy in 'n kar klim nie. Almal het dieselfde ding vir my gese toe ek Kanada toe trek. "Wat wil jy daar maak? Dis fokken koud" Hieredie naweek is 31 in Toronto. Nie so fokken koud nie, ne? Ek sluit nie my voordeur nie. Ek het nie groot mure of heinings nie. En daar word nie teen my gediskrimineer oor my velkleur nie. 

Mathambo - Jy maak die regte besluit meneer. Jou lewe sal besonder beter wees oor die lang termyn

LordSeano - Mate - South Africans will INSIST that the UK is really dangerous blah blah blah but it's ridiculous the relative levels of crime to SA.

My wife’s parents legitimately think it’s really dangerous here because they watch sky news and when there’s a murder it’s high profile news - not realising that’s because it doesn’t happen much compared to SA

Birmingham is a big city so has nice bits and shitty bits like most big cities. Tamworth is I imagine much quieter. It’s a small market town and is 93% white so traditional small English market town. Very quiet and probably not much going on.

If you will move to Tamworth you will piss yourself at any suggestions that the UK is anything other than super safe

Thanks bru, ja that was my assumption regarding safety and all, and in these areas if you don't mind me asking, does race play a factor, as a South African I by defeat worry about that

Twigwam -
mathambo -

I live in Leicester. Tamworth is a decent place. No city is really much better or worse than any other from my experience. And knowing a couple of South Africans here, you are right its definitely more dangerous.

Ask away if there's anything else you want to know. Beers when you arrive!

Beers for sure man, thanks for the advice, I'll be there around October im hoping 

UFCMann -

Hahahaha you sound like all my famuly members, if the weather is the worst part of England I think I will be ok haha

KyokushinandBJJ -
UFCMann -

Wel vir een ding, hy wil nie elke dag oor sy skouer loer nie. Hy wil ook nie vir sy lewe vrees wanneer hy in 'n kar klim nie. Almal het dieselfde ding vir my gese toe ek Kanada toe trek. "Wat wil jy daar maak? Dis fokken koud" Hieredie naweek is 31 in Toronto. Nie so fokken koud nie, ne? Ek sluit nie my voordeur nie. Ek het nie groot mure of heinings nie. En daar word nie teen my gediskrimineer oor my velkleur nie. 

Mathambo - Jy maak die regte besluit meneer. Jou lewe sal besonder beter wees oor die lang termyn

Dankie maneer! Ek is n soutie maar Ek kan praat die taal a beitjie.

Yes I agree, essentially "looking over your shoulder constantly" vs bad weather is a good trade off haha. But did you find d it hard to adjust, in terms of that constant paranoia you have being in Africa vs realising the guy asking you for the time on the street is not trying to Rob you but actually just asking for the time haha, if that makes sense? 

mathambo -
KyokushinandBJJ -
UFCMann -

Dankie maneer! Ek is n soutie maar Ek kan praat die taal a beitjie.

Yes I agree, essentially "looking over your shoulder constantly" vs bad weather is a good trade off haha. But did you find d it hard to adjust, in terms of that constant paranoia you have being in Africa vs realising the guy asking you for the time on the street is not trying to Rob you but actually just asking for the time haha, if that makes sense? 

You adjust quicker than you think. However, you'll always carry a certain awareness with you that the common guy on the street doesn't have. 

Your focus will change over time. In SA your priority is security. In the UK it will be whatever task you want to complete and security later. But it will take time. Happens quicker when you start working and making new friends. 

You'll feel like an outsider in Birmingham. You will be used to being a minority I guess. 

TheHaunted2 -

You'll feel like an outsider in Birmingham. You will be used to being a minority I guess. 

Out of Birmingham and Tamworth it's Tamworth every time if given a choice.

Why are those the two options? Couldn't you move to where your friends are? 

I just moved to Liverpool myself, I'm Canadian. Pretty cool place, not a whole lot going on but I'm enjoying it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5qPHsvGMQI

im from Leicester i always thought Tamworth was in Staffs near Twycross Zoo 

If you think Sowetto is a shithole, wait till you get a load of Southampton.