speakers don't work!

My parents gave me their old computer when they bought a new one a few months ago. Everything worked fine on the old one but when I packed everything up and set it up at my house the speakers didn't work. There is no speaker icon in the icon tray. When I go to the control panel it says something like 'no device detected' under speakers. I reinstalled the audio drivers using the restore cd it came with but that didn't help. Can anyone offer any advice to get the speakers back up and running? Thanks.

BTW- I am not very computer savy at all so if your answers are too technical unfortunately I'm not going to have any idea what you are saying. Thanks again.

First, determine if its hardware or software.

Plug in the speakers to a CD player, Ipod, etc., - see if they work.

Now that we have that eliminated.

Right click on my computer, go to properties then go to Device Manager. See if you have any "bangs" on devices, most likely, you'll see on a sound card.

Basically, you'll just have to do a reinstall. If it is a dell computer, list out the service tag number (on the back) and I can link you to the drivers you should download.

Speakers definitely work. What do you mean by "bangs"? Sorry for the newbie-like questions.

OK, did the 'my computer' thing. It said the multimedia audio controller driver needed to be reinstalled. I don't have the cd-rom to do it as I tried using the restore cd and apparently it isn't the one I need but is the only one I have.

BTW- I have an e-machines 2042.

You will need to go to Emachine.com and the support tab.

I think you should be able to figure it out past drivers/downloaded tab.

"You will need to go to Emachine.com and the support tab.
I think you should be able to figure it out past drivers/downloaded tab."

OK, just did that. For some reason when I go under the control panel it still says 'no audio device' under 'volume'. I guess I'll just have to call emachines and see if they can figure it out. Thanks anyway.

Some microsoft patch latley broke somebodys audio drivers lately. Cant remember who.

"I think you should be able to figure it out past drivers/downloaded tab."

Fin- Looks like you overestimated my abilities. I just spoke to my brother and told him I downloaded the driver and my speakers still weren't working. Then he asks "Did you install it?" I answered "Umm..no. I guess that might help." So now it is installed and the speakers are back up and running. Thanks Fin.

np

just have to call emachines and see if they can figure it out

our answers are free. their answers will require a credit card.

stephen