SPEAR vs Straight Punch

Graham.

GLad youre experimenting and exploring. Far too many people continue to compartementalize my research and look for mathematical boxes of info...so its refreshing to hear that you are exploring.

1. On the SCIENCE OF THE SUCKER PUNCH video, the NON-VIOLENT POSTURE tactic is explained in much more detail. The hand position should always create and nonobstrusive but obvious obstacle for any linear punch/stike opportunity. This is easy to achieve.

The obstacle forces the angular/haymaker style punch. The NVP and SPEAR are a deliberate example of a proactive strategy/tactic.

This question comes up a lot from martial artists who are used to testing their skills through sparring and not through replication drills or street scenarios.

The problem is trying to use a pure street tactic in a sport experiment.SPort vs Street will always create doubt on the reactive partner. i.e. if youre waiting for a jab or a right to try to launch a SPEAR, there are two factors that'll likely short circuit the experiment...

1.: THe jab-er gets to launch first, if the stiker gets to adopt a punching stance, in a real world engagemnt the intended victom shoulve either dis-engaged [out of range] or already SPEARed the bad guy.

2: The SPEAR is a real street tactic. It is not designed for sparring per se. So the rhythm of a sparring cadence cannot be achieved.

The SPEAR has definate MMA applicaitons, it requires a high degree of faith in improvisation and contingency

There's a lot of info in the ARCHIVES on this, you need to poke around a bit...

Hope this helps,

Tony

For the past few weeks I've been digesting Mr. Blauer's S.P.E.A.R. fundamentals tapes (at 4 hours of instruction, an excellent value, by the way). I noticed that most often the SPEAR was applied against a swinging or haymaker type of attack. I understand that this is in part for instructional purposes, and in part because this is a common attack, especially if the defender is in the "submissive posture" position. But I wonder how the SPEAR plays out against a straight punch like a jab or cross or something like one. I've experimented with it a bit with some training partners (a tactical application, I guess) and sometimes I intercept the punch in a fashion similar to a classical high block (rising underneath the attacker's forearm) and sometimes the punch bounces off my forearms. Is this the general or expected result?

Thanks for any help.

Graham Broad

Hahaha... the most FAQ here. I think the forum should be programmed to permanently float a thread headed: "SPEAR vs Straight Punch?" at the top, so that people will always see it when they come here. Great answer, Coach.

IM

Graham,

For MMA applications of the SPEAR system I would recommend both Advanced SPEAR applications for MMA and Tom Campbell's How to 'NOT' get Knocked out. Tom deals specifically with the issue of straight punches and the CQ stance which is a tactical 'SPEAR' friendly position used in TCMS training.

Both videos are available as a package for $75.00 including shipping, which is pretty amazing for about 3.5 hours of instruction!

Those who watched my fight at the end of Advanced SPEAR Applications for MMA and didn't see a pure SPEAR tactic (although there is an obvious mutation in there!) should be reminded that the SPEAR is about embracing and converting the primal flinch into something tactical...something I make use of CONSTANTLY throughout my training and in the ring.

P.

ps-I'm biased since I was the guy being trained in the videos! If you have the chance to train hands on with either Coach Blauer or Coach Campbell...DO IT!!!

Hey Tony is on that COPs thang...he shows the spear!

PS

Fox is doing some street video stuff this week. There is a classic video of a cop getting sucker punched that needs to be viewed by ALL.

PS to Tony

I have the info but the location of the program hit a snag; once resolved we will be getting materials from you.

ttt