Specific stupid things in martial arts

I had my son in a shitty karate school for a couple of months before pulling him out. One thing that always pissed me off is they were trained to keep their hands at their hips but when it was time to spar the instructor kept yelling at the kids to "keep their hands up." What in the actual fuck? Fucking terrible school but I doubt his is the only karate place to teach in such a stupid way. 

Oh and one more: 

Systema and Aikido. All of it. Just lol. 

A karate instructor broke his hand punching a cinder block in an attempt to intimidate my friend.

I recently overheard this conversation in a game store,between a fairly decent female clerk and a good looking guy. She asked him if he was still doing martial arts. He said yes he was teaching kids classes, she oohs and ahhs. He then said when my "master" feels I'm ready I will teach adults. I literally turned around and gave him a wtf? look.

Special boards & bricks that you have to buy at a martial arts supply store, rather than a lumber yard. They're kiln dryed for a long time to remove all moisture. They snap like twigs. 

You give a "normal" pine board or brick or cinderblock from Home Depot to a typical karate/TKD guy for a demo and the only thing they will break is their hand. 

People who trash talk other martial arts without actually training in any themselves and/or not putting time in training the art they are trashing to validate their critiques. Dude bro's who can't fathom people who train without the overall goal to fuck up any random they run into.

shen - 

Special boards that you have to buy at a martial arts supply store, rather than a lumber yard. They're kiln dryed for a long time to remove all moisture. They snap like twigs. You give a "normal" pine board from Home Depot to a typical karate/TKD guy for a demo and they will probably break their hand.

Same with the bricks & cynder blocks. You dry them in an oven for 12 hours and they become brittle as hell. Try that on a "regular" brick and you will probably fracture something.

This is hilarious. 

Dogmadeth - People who trash talk other martial arts without actually training in any themselves and/or not putting time in training the art they are trashing to validate their critiques. Dude bro's who can't fathom people who train without the overall goal to fuck up any random they run into.

Where's your dojo and who's your shidogi?

Dogmadeth - People who trash talk other martial arts without actually training in any themselves and/or not putting time in training the art they are trashing to validate their critiques. Dude bro's who can't fathom people who train without the overall goal to fuck up any random they run into.
Our first systems/aikido master has arrived... Phone Post 3.0

dhughes - Seen a guy break his shin twice on the same bat. Phone Post 3.0

That.. sucks.

He needed a rematch, huh?

Dogmadeth - People who trash talk other martial arts without actually training in any themselves and/or not putting time in training the art they are trashing to validate their critiques. Dude bro's who can't fathom people who train without the overall goal to fuck up any random they run into.
Smegmabreth coming in hot Phone Post 3.0

Anything Chi power related. Aikido boards are full of stories of doka using their chi to do all kinds of things. Phone Post 3.0

Ringworm.

Some dirty ass motherfuckers out there. Phone Post 3.0

I often find it annoying when people insist on using Japanese or foreign language terms for things that would be just as easily said in English. It makes sense for Judo, where each throw has a set name and all that, but calling your instructor "Sifu" or whatever has always felt lame. It's like mixing fantasy/roll playing into it.

Balls Mahoney -
Dogmadeth - People who trash talk other martial arts without actually training in any themselves and/or not putting time in training the art they are trashing to validate their critiques. Dude bro's who can't fathom people who train without the overall goal to fuck up any random they run into.

Where's your dojo and who's your shidogi?
Who cares if Bruce Springsteen is his shidoshi? Phone Post 3.0

I hate the name "Brazilian Jiu Jitsu"

It just sounds stupid to people who don't know what it is. Saying "BJJ" is even worse :( Phone Post 3.0

Positive Energy - I hate the name "Brazilian Jiu Jitsu"

It just sounds stupid to people who don't know what it is. Saying "BJJ" is even worse :( Phone Post 3.0

That is why I call it jits. 

I usually just call it wrestling, unless I think the person has some idea what BJJ is. Just last week a lady asked if my school would be good for her 7 year old son, since he "wants to learn karate".

GenericAmerican - I usually just call it wrestling, unless I think the person has some idea what BJJ is. Just last week a lady asked if my school would be good for her 7 year old son, since he "wants to learn karate".

Yeah people are always like "are you still doing that karate or whatever?" I just don't expect them to know what BJJ is anymore so I teach them. Any time someone calls it karate I hit a clean Osoto Gari on them, go knee on belly to S mount and break the wrist. 

When I was 12, I did Kung-Fu (a northern Chinese style, we were told). We used to have to practice our "angry stare". We would line up with the mirror to our left. Then we would snap our heads over and give ourselves the meanest look we could muster. Sifu promised that if we mastered this, we would win any fight before it started.

Not a terrible idea in principle, but a pretty embarrassing thing to have to do in a strip mall location in full view of anybody walking by.