Spencer Fisher “permanently disabled”

One of the most enjoyable fighters to watch in the mid 00s. Wish him the best. 

https://www.mmamania.com/2021/1/12/22227294/former-ufc-fighter-spencer-fisher-permanently-disabled-unable-work-mma

2 Likes

That's sad. All those wars caught up with him. I wish him the best and hope things get better for him. 

Bummer. 

Stop the pharmies, get on psilocybin, lions mane, and cbd.

4 Likes

He doesnt sound all that bad tbh. Compare his speech vs a guy like gary goodridge or other prominent boxers from yesteryear. 

1 Like

I believe Manias article was taken from this one, it’s a must read for anyone who remembers him fighting. His CTE is getting pretty bad:

https://www.mmafighting.com/2021/1/12/21554602/the-cost-of-being-the-king-spencer-fisher-ufc

Dangerousdoug -

He doesnt sound all that bad tbh. Compare his speech vs a guy like gary goodridge or other prominent boxers from yesteryear. 

"doesn't sound all that bad"

I guess it depends on your frame of reference.  For me, that story was hard to read.  Shines a looot of light behind the scenes.  It sounds like there are more ways to fuck up the money aspect of things than there are of ways to keep in good graces.

2 Likes

Long article, about 3/4 through.  Worth the read.  If you're am aspiring fighter, you really need to read this.

1 Like

In to read the full article later. I always name Spencer in fighters who never get mentioned threads, after BJ initially lured me into watching MMA, Fisher was one of the main guys who got me into the way of thinking “I can’t just watch the main events, I gotta watch the lower fights too, those guys are often the warriors fighting to prove theirselves” 

And Spencer proved himself every fuckin time he got in there. He’s an absolute legend of the sport in my eyes and it’s really sad to read how badly things have gone for him.

I have to add though, Dana is not and should not be responsible for every fighters health for the rest of their life. A lot of you guys in the US fight for no free Medicare on the basis that people should pay for themselves, you can’t then expect a single man or company to look after a fighter for life. If he was a UK fighter, or a fighter from many other different Countries, he’d be being looked after at no cost to himself for the rest of his life anyway 

5 Likes
WaltJ -

Long article, about 3/4 through.  Worth the read.  If you're am aspiring fighter, you really need to read this.

Definitely 

Damn started it but in to finish it later, Spencer was always fun to watch 

That sucks. Poor guy paying the price for those heavy battles. Him and Marcus Davis used to be my favorites. 

I watched all of his fights in the UFC.

The dumb shit assholes on the underground post on here is mind blowing,  lots of fighters are going to have this same problem. 

All he is doing is warning other fighters, UFC will do nothing for you.

You are meat to them.

Its the fight business. 

Fight sports are guaranteed CTE - whether to a minor degree or a major one is variable per person and career, but everyone who fights pro will get some degree of it.

I can’t find the study off-hand, but a UK study of professional boxers for signs of neurological damage found that the incidence was 100% - fully 100% of them showed some degree of abnormality in scans and testing.

There’s all kinds of arguments around how this truth and reality should be handled.

For me, the imbalance between the insane profits of the promoter and the share to the fighter is something to be addressed. Healthcare, insurance, post-career planning

All this “independent contractor” horseshit is just that - horseshit. Fuck you, promotion - you know what you’re doing and what benefits you’re deriving and how sly you’re being with this legal technicality. It’s not illegal but it is immoral.

Second, gyms like Miletich FS. The training style they had was not atypical for the day and era - Lion’s Den, Chute Boxe, Golden Glory were all slaughterhouses as well - but there is something just so particularly meatheaded about MFS.

The more stories that come out of that gym - not only the training and macho ‘get back in there’ shit but the hazing - it just sounds, ultimately, like a mismanaged environment.

That meathead training style is now all but gone in the sport it seems, but regular head impact is still not a think the soft jelly of your brain is designed to endure on a near-daily basis for X years, no matter how soft you go.

Where in the natural world would a wild human suffer such repeated head impacts day after day for 1-2 decades? Nowhere. The skull and brain simply are not designed for it.

America being America, somehow a way will be found to keep all the CTE sports going while they make money. But for the first time, I can see a day when the science becomes so indisputable that the sports are either forced to fundamentally change, or people switch to different sports.

4 Likes
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much -

I believe Manias article was taken from this one, it’s a must read for anyone who remembers him fighting. His CTE is getting pretty bad:

https://www.mmafighting.com/2021/1/12/21554602/the-cost-of-being-the-king-spencer-fisher-ufc

Great article. A lot of the blame seems to fall on the UFC, but really you have to wonder how nuch of an impact training at MFS during that time had on him. Those guys were notorious for lots of hard sparring.

1 Like
pbody -

Great article. A lot of the blame seems to fall on the UFC, but really you have to wonder how nuch of an impact training at MFS during that time had on him. Those guys were notorious for lots of hard sparring.

This. MFS and training in general back then was who can knock who out in the gym. A lot more so than today’s training and sparring 

1 Like
Glory Kickboxing - Fight sports are guaranteed CTE - whether to a minor degree or a major one is variable per person and career, but everyone who fights pro will get some degree of it.

I can’t find the study off-hand, but a UK study of professional boxers for signs of neurological damage found that the incidence was 100% - fully 100% of them showed some degree of abnormality in scans and testing.

There’s all kinds of arguments around how this truth and reality should be handled.

For me, the imbalance between the insane profits of the promoter and the share to the fighter is something to be addressed. Healthcare, insurance, post-career planning

All this “independent contractor” horseshit is just that - horseshit. Fuck you, promotion - you know what you’re doing and what benefits you’re deriving and how sly you’re being with this legal technicality. It’s not illegal but it is immoral.

Second, gyms like Miletich FS. The training style they had was not atypical for the day and era - Lion’s Den, Chute Boxe, Golden Glory were all slaughterhouses as well - but there is something just so particularly meatheaded about MFS.

The more stories that come out of that gym - not only the training and macho ‘get back in there’ shit but the hazing - it just sounds, ultimately, like a mismanaged environment.

That meathead training style is now all but gone in the sport it seems, but regular head impact is still not a think the soft jelly of your brain is designed to endure on a near-daily basis for X years, no matter how soft you go.

Where in the natural world would a wild human suffer such repeated head impacts day after day for 1-2 decades? Nowhere. The skull and brain simply are not designed for it.

America being America, somehow a way will be found to keep all the CTE sports going while they make money. But for the first time, I can see a day when the science becomes so indisputable that the sports are either forced to fundamentally change, or people switch to different sports.

To be honest anyone in their right mind has always known everything you’ve said, anyone thinking repeated blows to the head won’t harm them back when they started MMA in the 90s simply can’t have been very bright, it’s an obvious thing.

I don’t think that means it should be stopped. If these guys wanna impact their long term health and brain function both for glory and our entertainment, that should be their choice.

In MMA & Boxing it’s your brain you risk, Basketball & Athletics your knees… Fucking hell even Darts players & Golfers suffer back, shoulder and arm issues often requiring surgery! Nearly all Sports have high and life affecting long term physical effects 

2 Likes
Glory Kickboxing - Fight sports are guaranteed CTE - whether to a minor degree or a major one is variable per person and career, but everyone who fights pro will get some degree of it.

Yes, America is the only country in the world where sports involving head impacts take place...

5 Likes

Fighters donate your brain to University of Pittsburg to Mike Websters son who is the administrator and write down your brain injuries or time in combat sports…

pbody - 

This. I’d send money to Spencer before I’d send it to Pat.