Spider-Man....be afraid

In a minor miracle, I received Wizard magazine on time for the first time in four months. Lot's of good hype in issue #176...including these little tid bits from Joey Q and JMS:

What's the biggest problem with Spider-Man right now?

Quesada: I've said it before: that darn marriage to Mary Jane. It has been one of the biggest problems [in] writting Spider-Man stories [for] new and younger readers. Let me put it clearly -- Spider-Man is one of the greatest, if not the greatest teen superhero ever created. He's supposed to be a young, viable, single character. And over the course of 40-some-odd years, as writers grew older and got married and stuff, they took Peter Parker along for the ride, forgetting about the fact that there were alwyas gonna be 9-year-olds who wanted to get into Peter Parker in the same way that they all did, which was a young guy. Peter grew old and married a supermodel. Peter became Billy Joel.

Now, this summer's 'Civil War' storyline is also going to shake-up Spider-Man, Right?

JMS: We've been laying in Peter being more involved with Tony Stark, and Tony became almost a mentor/father figure to Peter. And when Tony asks him, "Will you come and help me out during this whole registration crisis and illicit support?" Peter has to make a huge decision. That will have great consequences for him and for his family.

And that will lead to a major story towards the end of the year, that you'll write and Joe [Quesada] will draw?

JMS: We're going to return Peter to the status quo that worked so well for him for so many years. It's dangerous as hell.

Quesada: One idea led to another idea, led to a character, led to a possibility, led to [realizing] this could actually happen. And I remember Joe remained remarkably quiet during the kibitzing, for a while there, until he was sold on the idea. It was a group effort of how to do it, and then the execution of how to put it all together was really Joe's idea. But you know, I guarantee that there will not be a dry eye in the house.

JMS: It'll tear your heart out. By the sixth issue, you'll be on the floor.

paw's guess: Mary Jane Watson-Parker is going to die.

THAT IS BULLSHIT!!!!

DAMN YOU QUESADA!!!!

YOU'LL BURN IN HELL FOR THAT!!!

sits and fumes... remembers he can't really send people to hell.... Doesn't really help with the fumming

Oh man, I hope not. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Shes going to have an affair with Stark I know it

I don't mind his marriage to Mary Jane. I think it would be pretty stupid for Peter to be a kid forever. If people want that then read Ultimate Spider-man, but to kill off his wife would be stupid and unecessary. Thats what it sounds like he is hinting at.

Agreed. We don't need two Ult. Spideys. I like him a working man with a wife to watch out for.

I think it'll probably be an affair.

But seriously, isn't that what they invented ultimate spiderman for?

Namor is going to be banging sue storm and MJ at the same time.

You heard it here first true believers!

Wow... Marvel either wants to kill MJ or make her as slutty as Gwen Stacy...

Jesus christ, why do spiderman writers have such a hate for Mary Jane? Ya, Spiderman is the everyman, but the usual everyman GETS MARRIED. Besides, Peter and Mary Jane are one of comics greatest couple, up there with Lois and Clark. Stupid stupid writing imo

Spider man is going to turn gay and start banging magneto

Aunt May died, but she came back so there's no need to worry about MJ.

"If people want that then read Ultimate Spider-man..."

Excatly! Nice to see the Editor-In-Chief has such a great handle on the product.

Fuck it. Bring back Tom DeFalco and be done with it already. MARVEL needs some editorial stability stat!

Jesus christ, why do spiderman writers have such a hate for Mary Jane?

Who knows? I sometimes think comic book writers in general have no idea what to do with married characters in general. It's like the idea scares them or something.

For example, Ray Palmer's married? That's not interesting, let's have his wife raped and killed and then the character can be cool again.

Dick Grayson proposed? Screw that. Let's turn him into a man-whore without any explanation.

Scott Summers married Jean Grey? Let's have Psylocke start lusting after him, then split the marriage apart ('cause, you know, god forbid his wife should have any idea he's unhappy or why....her being a fucking telepath and all ---- and I have to confess, I LOVE Cyclops with the White Queen.....so help me jeebus, if Whedon actually goes through with this "Emma's really been evil all along....I'll go postal)

...and of course, how many times have Reed and Sue Richards had problems?

To me, Spider-Man and Mary Jane IS the way things should be, and I see lots of potential storylines with Spidey after Civil War....especially if his identity becomes common knowledge.

Anytime Storm will be boning Luke Cage to start some black on black violence.

"Dick Grayson proposed? Screw that. Let's turn him into a man-whore without any explanation."

It's a strange psychological effect (at least for women): sometimes (NOT always) people who are raped become very promiscuous after that. Jenna Jameson has said she was raped a few times. I know it's a movie, but The General's Daughter comes to mind.

"Shes going to have an affair with Stark I know it"

"Wow... Marvel either wants to kill MJ or make her as slutty as Gwen Stacy"

I in real life stuff like that happens to nice guys. I'd rather see her bang Stark than kill her, bring her back, or rehash the Gwen Stacy thing. An Affait would be a better development, and leave MJ around for better stories.

"spider man was already married when i first read it at as kid and i had ZERO problems with it."

Same here... That's like killing off a principle charater that the traget audience has grown up with. The whole Parker stay young argument is void on that premise.

"Spiderman is the everyman, but the usual everyman GETS MARRIED"

Exactly. Peter Parker isn't Ron Jeremy. He's not some jet setting, bang'em all super hero.

Carp! Next they'll have him moving into Aunt May's basment and playing gutiar while eating cookies!

EEERRRRR!!! Men get married! It happens! They make babies, and get old! That's why we have grand parents.

An affair might be fresh, especially one with Stark, but to kill MJ is nothing but a rehash!

It's a strange psychological effect (at least for women): sometimes (NOT always) people who are raped become very promiscuous after that.

Which might work as an explaination...if, you know it was explained. But then again, Dick Grayson was raped in the past (by Mirage) and he didn't respond that way then.

...but that's all an aside. I honestly feel that comic book writers have problems, in general, with married characters.

"It's a strange psychological effect (at least for women): sometimes (NOT always) people who are raped become very promiscuous after that. "

It's because when somthing like that happens the person's world view has to change to cope. The sancitity of sex is lowered, and it becomes more of an apitite to be filled rather than something romantic.

It's not right, or just. But bad things happen to people and they have to deal with it after the fact.

"comic book writers have problems, in general, with married characters."

most of them are single.

I read that they already killed Mary Jane once and brought her back with JMS's run. An affiar would just be ridiculous IMO and make Stark more of dick than he needs to be as well as making MJ a whore... I'm not a fan of whore MJ. Aunt May needs to die is right.