SpikeTV Prez expects E. Alvarez to leave, win/lose

http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/Bellator/article_21298.shtml#.U2HJLXYrcio

Spike TV President Kevin Kay expects Eddie Alvarez to leave Bellator win or lose after May 17 pay-per-view

By: Jamie Penick, MMATorch Editor-in-Chief

Eddie Alvarez fights Michael Chandler a third time in Bellator on May 17, headlining Bellator's first pay-per-view event for the Lightweight Championship. Alvarez edged past Chandler in their rematch late last year, following a lengthy contract dispute that held him out most of 2013, and their rubber match appears to be Alvarez's final fight with Bellator regardless of what happens.

That had been the report when Alvarez came to a settlement with the organization, as it was said he'd owe them a rematch with a win over Chandler, but could leave with a loss or consecutive wins. Spike TV President Kevin Kay seems to have confirmed as much this week in an interview with MMAWeekly.com.

"You've got Eddie Alvarez who has, win or lose, made the determination that he's going to move on from this promotion," Kay said. "If he wins, he can write his own ticket. If he loses, he's putting himself in a lot of jeopardy. He's got a lot at stake."

"I don't know if it's set in stone, but I'll tell you what I know which is if Eddie wins this fight I think that in his head he's leaving the promotion. I think he's going to want to explore what his value is."

Alvarez found out what his value was once, as he received a significant offer from the UFC in 2012 which would have given him a title shot on a big pay-per-view card last year, which in turn would have netted him a considerable payday with pay-per-view points. He was also guaranteed placement on a Fox card, among other things.

Bellator claimed to "match" that deal, despite no history of pay-per-view and no network television outlet, and it led to nearly a year of litigation between the two sides. Alvarez begrudgingly returned, and after beating Chandler in the rematch, has the opportunity to go out on an even higher note. However, a loss to Chandler could hurt his value in trying to get another deal from the UFC, and that's the risk he's taking.

"If he loses this fight he has the option to stay in Bellator," Kay said. "You'd have to talk to Eddie about this, but I guess my sense is he'd like to move on. It's harder if you don't win. That's all I'm going to say. Listen, I like Eddie Alvarez. He's been great for Bellator. He's been great for the promotion. Of course we'd love him to stay, but he wants to chart his own course, and he's got his own plan."

"If he decides he wants to stay, I'm sure everybody would be open to having that conversation. I don't believe that's what's on his mind."

Penick's Analysis: Alvarez is gone one way or the other, and he has no reason to stay with Bellator given what happened with his original attempt to leave. He wants to be the best in the world, which means he absolutely must win this fight with Chandler to get the UFC's attention again. This is the biggest fight of his career by far, and a win could bring him an even bigger contract offer from the UFC.

Eddies wins and he's gone he then signs a UFC deal and faces Ben Henderson in the Fall. Phone Post 3.0

Sergio88 - Eddies wins and he's gone he then signs a UFC deal and faces Ben Henderson in the Fall. Phone Post 3.0
No fuckin way.

If Eddie beats chandler a second time, he's getting an immediate title shot and probably a coaching spot on tuf within a couple seasons after signing.

What makes you think he'll be worth any less than his original offer from Zuffa if he beats chandler again in a few weeks? Phone Post 3.0

^^^please don't jinx this shit and say tuf. I understand not straight title shot but I'd deff see no1 contender fight where it be benson or tj grant. Pettis with injury time and tuf with Gil needs to fight no more of this waiting crap. Phone Post 3.0

I believe Dana said in a scrum that if Alvarez loses this fight the UFC wouldn't sign him afterwards.

Here's an article talking about Dana's stance:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1754718-dana-white-ufc-doesnt-sign-bellator-rejects-alvarez-loses-they-wont-sign-him

In a perfect world, Alvarez wins and leaves the belt in 'THE BELLATOR CAGE' and signs with the UFC. I like bellator but the whole Alvarez debacle really put an asterisk next to their name. Phone Post 3.0

Alvarez has a TON to gain and a TON to lose. I'm pulling for him for that reason alone Phone Post 3.0

Sergio88 - Eddies wins and he's gone he then signs a UFC deal and faces Ben Henderson in the Fall. Phone Post 3.0

Fuck that!

I've been waiting for Eddie vs. Gil for years. This has to be the first fight!

The Big Lebansky -
Sergio88 - Eddies wins and he's gone he then signs a UFC deal and faces Ben Henderson in the Fall. Phone Post 3.0
No fuckin way.

If Eddie beats chandler a second time, he's getting an immediate title shot and probably a coaching spot on tuf within a couple seasons after signing.

What makes you think he'll be worth any less than his original offer from Zuffa if he beats chandler again in a few weeks? Phone Post 3.0
Because they aren't bidding against Bellator this time?

Eddie wants in the UFC. No other promotion. Dana knows that, and that's why they're gonna scratch off a bit of the original offer extended to him during the legal battle.

The thing some people still don't understand is, the battle between Zuffa and Viacom over Alvarez was simply a pissing contest.

No way Eddie gets the same offer. I'm expecting 100K less. Phone Post 3.0

I like Eddie, he's a Philly guy like myself. But I think he loses part 3. Chandler will come in much improved, while I think Eddie's already hit his peak. Phone Post 3.0

Love to see Eddie vs Frankie Edgar.

Eddie shows up to a UFC PPV with the belt on and hands it to Dana in exchange for a title shot and does a face off with Pettis.

WWF vs WCW style. Phone Post

If he loses, will the UFC sign him? Phone Post 3.0

Pulling for Eddie hard on this one. Phone Post 3.0

VitorpeepeetasteStrongTRT - If he loses, will the UFC sign him? Phone Post 3.0
Yes.

Dana can talk it up all he wants about how he doesn't want Bellator's scraps, but there's always a method to the madness. You think Dana and co are gonna pass up on a top 10 LW that brings it every fight? Fuck no.

Dana White's in a win-win situation. Eddie wins, it makes for a big champ vs. champ PPV. That's a payday for Zuffa. Eddie loses, his bargaining power goes down BUT his fanbase stays the same. He's still worth the UFC contract, but now, Dana can pay him whatever the fuck he wants.

Why? Because as I stated above, Eddie wants in. Alvarez wants nothing more than to prove he's the best and he wants to do it where it matters most. Phone Post 3.0

UFC may be making a return to Philly this fall. Would be a nice card for Eddie to make his debut.

I believe win or lose Zuffa should sign him.

Watch Bellator on Spike - 

What reason does this poster have to be such an incessant annoyance?

As soon as the fight starts, Eddie should reach down an tap the mat and quit. Grab the mic and say "This one's for you BJORN! What's up now!?!"

Probably wouldn't work out good for him but it would be an epic FU for all the shit they put him thru.

VitorpeepeetasteStrongTRT - If he loses, will the UFC sign him? Phone Post 3.0

sure, it will be cheaper for them