Spiritual Degeneration?

With Baptisim a person is regenerated could the opposite happen? With the holy spirit being all knowing would it come into the body at all?

I don't think I understand warmonky, can you try to elaberate??

When A person is Baptized the purpose is regeneration of the spirit. Would the holy spirit leave a body after it bothered to enter? If the spirit is all knowing and god knows who is in the book of life would the spirit have entered in the first place. Their is no teaching or evidence of degeneration in the bible so i was wondering.

Baptism is a outward showing of faith, nothing more. Regeneration of the spirit is becoming born again in the first place. A person can fall away from the faith or (backslide) but I don't think that the King James bible teaches that you that the Holy Spirit ever leaves the body. I will provide verses to back this up later. Once a person is born again the Holy Spirit enters into that person and their soul is stamped with a seal forever.

keep in mind that certain Christian faiths argue and disagree on this point.

"Baptism is a outward showing of faith, nothing more."

Scripture disagrees with you.

http://www.scripturecatholic.com/baptism.html#baptism-II

John 3:3,5 - unless we are "born again" of water and Spirit in baptism, we cannot enter into the kingdom of God. The Greek word for the phrase "born again" is "anothen" which literally means "begotten from above." See, for example, John 3:31 where "anothen" is so used. Baptism brings about salvation, not just a symbolism of our salvation.

Mark 16:16 - Jesus said "He who believes AND is baptized will be saved." Jesus says believing is not enough. Baptism is also required. This is because baptism is salvific, not just symbolic. The Greek text also does not mandate any specific order for belief and baptism, so the verse proves nothing about a "believer's baptism."

Acts 22:16 - Ananias tells Paul, "arise and be baptized, and wash away your sins," even though Paul was converted directly by Jesus Christ. This proves that Paul's acceptance of Jesus as personal Lord and Savior was not enough to be forgiven of his sin and saved. The sacrament of baptism is required.

Acts 22:16 - further, Ananias' phrase "wash away" comes from the Greek word "apolouo." "Apolouo" means an actual cleansing which removes sin. It is not a symbolic covering up of sin. Even though Jesus chose Paul directly in a heavenly revelation, Paul had to be baptized to have his sins washed away.

There's plenty more at the link above if you're interested.

The thief on the cross, did he go to hell because he wasn't baptised ? I agree that every christian should be baptised, but its not what gets you in the door.

John 3:15 That whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.

Redneckgrappler-
Right on, this is exactly what I was going to ask before I got to the bottom of the post.
I interested in his response about the Thief.

It is by grace alone that we are saved, adding baptism is adding works (something that we do) to Grace, which is impossible according to sripture: Romans 11:6- And if by grace, then it is no longer of works; otherwise grace is no longer grace. But if it is of works, it is no longer grace; otherwise work is no longer work.
Baptism has a role to play in the assurance of salvation, it has no role to play in the way of salvation. it is an outward right like circumcission that symbolizes the changed heart of a believer.
I have plenty of verses, but must sleep, Ill end with this: Paul did not view baptism as part of the gospel- 1 corinthians 1:14-17 "I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, lest anyone should say that I had baptized in my own name. Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas. Besides, I do not know whether I baptized any other. FOR CHRIST DID NOT SEND ME TO BAPTIZE, BUT TO PREACH THE GOSPEL, NOT WITH WISDOM OF WORDS, LEST THE CROSS OF CHRIST SHOULD BE MADE OF NO EFFECT." God bless brothers and Good night.

agreed^^^^^^^^^^^