Spirulina?

New study.. Omega-3s and congitive functions..
Food Industry Trade Journal Site news..

Full text:
http://www.foodnavigator.com/news/ng.asp?n=67649-efamol-omega-behaviour

The mechanism behind the supplement's effect on cognitive function seems to be specific to the type of omega oil. Docosahexaenioc acid (DHA) is said to be involved in the membrane of ion channels in the brain, making it easier for them to change shape and transit electrical signals.

Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) is proposed to function by increasing blood flow in the body. It is also suggested to affect hormones and the immune system, both of which have a direct effect on brain function.

Full text:
http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/news/ng.asp?n=67236-omega-clinical-trials

Omega-3 focus
Omega 3 clinical trials

4/21/2006 - While omega 3 supplements or enriched foods are on the rise, so too are the clinical trials that are boosting the scientific foundation and exploring new applications.
Omega-3 fatty acids have been linked to a wide-range of health benefits, including cardiovascular disease (CVD), good development of a baby during pregnancy, joint health, behaviour and mood, and certain cancers.
The risk of pollutants from oily fish, such a methyl mercury, dioxins, and polychlorinated biphenols (PCBs) have led some to advise a reduced fresh fish intake, especially for pregnant women who may damage the development of their babies.
But fears about dwindling fish stocks have pushed some companies to start extracting omega-3 from algae. Indeed, Martek Biosciences and Lonza are amongst those already offering algae-derived omega-3 DHA as a dietary supplement.

fyi.. a thread from bodybuilding.com about omega-3s, EPA and DHA.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=787177

You're not understanding my argument.  You're saying if it's good for whales it must be good for us.  If true, then the reverse should also be true.  That's just silly.

Don't get off on a red herring argument by taking my comment about omega EFAs out of context.  I never disputed the positive impact of EFAs on humans, so 90% of the crap you posted was wasted effort.  Nowhere in there does it show a corollary between whale diets and human diets.

You still haven't proven anything. And I'd like to see you pull the same thing with vegitables, fruits, etc.

I think that you are misstating my argument.

"you're saying that if it's good for whales it must be good for us." - I never made that statement..

What I did say is that whales which are the largest mammals, diet almost exclusively off of phytoplankton and krill.
- This is simply illustrative.. with a diet so limited in variety, that they thrive off of, whatever it is that they are eating must necessarily contain an abundance of nutritional value.. for them..

The link is that they are mammals and so are we.. So, at this point, forget about whales.. if we look into the nutritional profile of phytoplankton, it is very impressive - for humans..

Besides being the sole natural producer of long chain Omega-3 fatty acids (references posted), it contains some 30-odd naturally chelated minerals, complete amino acids, and a laundry list of other nutritional elements (vitamins, etc).

Obviously you have made zero effort to even look at any evidence and are arguing about something that is not even near the point. You just need to follow the logic and do a little investigation.

No corollary between human and whale diets needs to be made.

You are not thinking, man! Get off of the whale thing..

"you're saying that if it's good for whales it must be good for us." - I never made that statement..

You're certainly implying it by saying that whales live off this great substance and then using 'logic' that it must be good for humans.

You keep telling me to do research.  After a quick search of the pages you posted I see nothing that looks like a definitive study touting the importance of phytoplankton in a human diet. 

I never said that phytoplankton was "important" for human diet, nor did I imply it.

I spelled out the logic in my previous post.

You are attributing statements to me that I never made, demanding that I prove those unmade statements, and you are ignoring the facts.

I never said that phytoplankton was "important" for human diet, nor did I imply it.

Evidently it's important if you want to increase "Mental clarity and sharpness", as you claimed.

Look, I'm not saying the stuff is necessarily bad for you.  I'm just saying that you have provided very little in the way of proving that it's good for you (ups mental clarity, acts as appetite supression, aids weight loss).

When pressed you tend to fall back on the 'I didn't say that' argument.  So just to clear everything up. . .what exactly is this stuff good for in humans??  Just a good source of EFAs?  Actual positive effects on your health?  What?

To be clear...

When I said.. it had "this" affect on me, my son, and other person x, that is very specific. Clearly antecdotal. No question. Never even attempted to go down the road of.. "claiming that it would do it for you."

As for the good stuff.. it is the chemical compounds that are present in Phytoplankton. Their number and form.

Vitaman B-12 is Vitaman B-12. It has absolutely nothing to do with whether whales take it or humans take it. It is B-12.

Can I prove that B-12 has actual positive effects on your health. No. Same for chelated magnesium, Omega-3 fatty acids, or anything else.

If you look at the "nutritional" profile (instance of particular chemical compunds) in Phytoplankton, which, by the way, is a plant, you may be very impressed. But since you say that you already have looked at it and I dont get that you were.. that is cool too.
It is one click away.. www.bjjequipment.com/phyto.asp

I dont think that there is anything else that I can offer you.

I do appreciate your criticism though.
The whole "fish food" thing is the most common reaction of people. You have helped me clarify my "message", as it were.

In defense of whales.. they are warm-blooded, hairy, air-breathing, intelligent mammals - just like us..

Never even attempted to go down the road of.. "claiming that it would do it for you."

I'm sorry, but to me you just seem to be continually contradicting yourself.  If you were not attempting to claim that it could do for others what you claim it did for you, why are you selling it?? There'd be no point!! Obviously you think that it will help others like it helped you.  Claiming otherwise just make you seem disingenuine. If that's insulting to you, then I'm sorry, but I don't know you from Adam so I can only go by what you're saying here.

As far as your page goes, you're making a bunch of health claims that may or may NOT be supported by valid studies.  Again, not saying the stuff is necessarily bad for you, but if that page is the best you can do, then you're hurting in the objectivity department, since you're a seller of the stuff.

The word is disingenuous.

I think that I understand the distinction that you are making.

If I weren't selling it, then giving a testimonial on the product would be ok. If I weren't selling it, you wouldn't categorize my testimonial as a "claim".

Since I'm selling it, if I give a testimonial, you consider it a "claim" because I'm promoting a product that I am selling.

Is this the case?

Secondly, as far as the contents of the web site, I'm using the information, verbatim, that the manufacturer's marketing department has developed.
What is it about the contents of the page that you find so objectionable?
All it is is basically a list of the contents of the product. How does that lack objectivity?

I don't take it personally when in a debate a person starts attacking me personally, because all that means is that they can't think of anything else to further their argument. It is a sign of desperation.

I think that your argument just goes way overboard. But if you feel that strongly about what you are saying, save the world. There are much bigger fish to fry out there.

This argument has reached a point where I no longer find it productive to me.
I'll continue doing what I do. Maybe we will meet again on another thread!

last post on this one...
peace.

The word is disingenuous.

You're right.

If I weren't selling it, then giving a testimonial on the product would be ok.

It wouldn't necessarily convince me, but it would certainly remove the conflict of interest.

Is this the case?

Yes.  You may be a stand up guy (you seem to be), but again, I don't know who the F. you are, so you're gonna have to do better than your word as a gentleman to get me to shell out hard-earned money for the stuff.

What is it about the contents of the page that you find so objectionable? All it is is basically a list of the contents of the product. How does that lack objectivity?

I don't find it 'objectionable'.  I find it 'questionable'.  You have much more than just a simple list of contents. You have specific 'health benefits' associated with those contents.  However, have those health benefits been associated with phytoplankton? 

It may seem logical to say, 'Omega-3s are good for people.  Phytoplankton has Omega-3s.  Therefore, phytoplankton is good for people.'  But that kind of reasoning, while seemingly sound, is fraught with with all types of errors.  It may actually be true in this case.  But then again, it may be entirely false. 

Who knows what combination of minerals or other substances in the phytoplankton might render some of the possible beneficial substances inert?  Maybe the combination of stuff might make it more potent than other sources.  The point is you can't say one way or the other.

Until you cite a valid study and not the manufacturer's marketing info (again, they have a vested interest in people believing that the stuff will offer some benefit), then you can't say the stuff is any good.  Frankly, if you think the maker's marketing info is a legitimate source for the stuff's benefits, then you're a lost cause. 

To make matters worse, you can't really even say that the stuff is responsible for your own anecdotal results!!  You could very well be experiencing a placebo effect yourself.