Splain me this saint thing?

Looks like we have a couple of new saints.  How exactly does this work?  Does the pope tell god that there are two new saints in heaven that god didn't know about or does god talk to the pope and tell him that he needs to let everyone know that He has decided to canonize a couple of guys?  Basically who sets the rules here?  Does the pope tell god what to do or does god tell the pope what to do?

Isaac Bickerstaff -

A declaration of sainthood is supposed to be an acknowledgement of what is already true.  The list of saints is by no means meant to be exhaustive either.  I am not sure if a declaration of sainthood is meant to be infallible in the sense that further information might theoretically disqualify a person from that declaration.

As an aside, referring to God with a lower case "g" is simply incorrect English.  Using the correct form of the word in no way obligates you to follow, worship, or otherwise declare a belief in what the word refers to. 

But if god is just a thing why is it capitalized? When are you going out on your Boat again? Phone Post 3.0

You're a fag that's how Phone Post 3.0

Disgusting that they made a POS who was an accessoary after the fact to child abuse a saint.

Aaronrodgers=GOAT - You're a fag that's how Phone Post 3.0
I've heard something about this. Every time a gay baby is born, a saint is born as well, in the gayness of heaven. Phone Post 3.0

Isaac Bickerstaff - 

A declaration of sainthood is supposed to be an acknowledgement of what is already true.  The list of saints is by no means meant to be exhaustive either.  I am not sure if a declaration of sainthood is meant to be infallible in the sense that further information might theoretically disqualify a person from that declaration.

As an aside, referring to God with a lower case "g" is simply incorrect English.  Using the correct form of the word in no way obligates you to follow, worship, or otherwise declare a belief in what the word refers to. 

Not sure what you mean by an acknowledgement of what is already true.  My question still applies.  If it is true, how did it become true?  Did the current pope tell god that it was true or did god tell the pope who to publicly declare a saint?

As for my grammer, the christian god is no different than any other god.  When you talk about Zeus as a god, do you capitalize the word "god", or do you capitalize the word Zeus?  Would you be happier if I referred to your god by his proper name of Elohim or Yahweh?  

If it makes you feel better, since I'm talking about the christian god, feel free to replace "god" with "Yahweh."   Happy now?

Now kindly answer my question.  

angryinch - 
Isaac Bickerstaff - 

Not sure what you mean by an acknowledgement of what is already true.  My question still applies.  If it is true, how did it become true?  Did the current pope tell god that it was true or did god tell the pope who to publicly declare a saint?

As for my grammer, the christian god is no different than any other god.  When you talk about Zeus as a god, do you capitalize the word "god", or do you capitalize the word Zeus?  Would you be happier if I referred to your god by his proper name of Elohim or Yahweh?  

If it makes you feel better, since I'm talking about the christian god, feel free to replace "god" with "Yahweh."   Happy now?

Now kindly answer my question.  

Dude if you don't care about or respect religion why do you bother asking? As stated before when talking about God or Allah it is proper to capitalize the first letter. I get it that you are being an edgy atheist but seriously it is pretty immature. I am a catholic raised athiest/agnostic and I try to treat the beliefs of others with respect, to behave otherwise would mean that people do not have to respect my beliefs. I feel like you should check out the neck beard thread, this form of protest does not show that you are an intelectual, it just shows that you are acting like an asshole. 

No hard feelings I side with you on a lot of things if you want information from people it is hard to get it while being a jerk.

can anyone please explain to me how in 2014 adults can believe that people perform miracles?  Seriously

As to your opening post, I am also interested. I forgot what the process is but I don't think that it involves God making a call on the Pope phone. It is not like getting made in the mob either.

Same reason in 2014 most people believe in religions xxxxxxxxx.

"Dude if you don't care about or respect religion why do you bother asking? "

In this case because I'm really miffed by how this process works.  Seriously, does the pope tell god who's going to be a saint or does god somehow communicate it to the pope?

And no one capitalizes "god" when talking about any other god.  I find the capitalization of the word "god" when referring to Elohim to be incredibly arrogant.  It presumes that Elohim is the only god.  I know christians would love for that to be true but there are thousands of other religions that would tell them otherwise.  

So, anyone have an answer to the question or is this whole sainthood thing so absurd that the only way you guys can address it is by throwing in a red herring and shifting the attention away from my question and trying to turn it into a discussion of why the word "god" should be capitalized when referring to one particular god but not when referring to any of the other thousands of gods?

I am actually curious too. How does one become a saint, does one need to be a father/preacher or sister etc. Phone Post 3.0

What is, was and forever will be doesn't need to be created. That's what they're telling you. All things are already known to God.

-signed, an agnostic.

angryinch - 

"Dude if you don't care about or respect religion why do you bother asking? "

In this case because I'm really miffed by how this process works.  Seriously, does the pope tell god who's going to be a saint or does god somehow communicate it to the pope?

And no one capitalizes "god" when talking about any other god.  I find the capitalization of the word "god" when referring to Elohim to be incredibly arrogant.  It presumes that Elohim is the only god.  I know christians would love for that to be true but there are thousands of other religions that would tell them otherwise.  

So, anyone have an answer to the question or is this whole sainthood thing so absurd that the only way you guys can address it is by throwing in a red herring and shifting the attention away from my question and trying to turn it into a discussion of why the word "god" should be capitalized when referring to one particular god but not when referring to any of the other thousands of gods?

I have never heard of any other monotheistic religion to begin with, I also stated that it is a respect thing. I also stated that I did not know and felt that it was a good question. It isn't a church thing, it is an English language thing.  If you really wanted to know instead of stirring up shit you could have just used some google magic, but I am sure that you already knew that. At least you are creative when trying to start shit with people. 

For the record I also stated that I am atheist/agnostic. I do not embrace the whole mythology of religion but I do like a lot of the teachings. I feel that most religions do give a good blue print as to how a person should best behave. I am sorry if you have been wronged by religion but you can let it go and just enjoy life free of religion. 

IgnorantDeadline - What is, was and forever will be doesn't need to be created. That's what they're telling you. All things are already known to God.

-signed, an agnostic.

BigEyedFish - 

can anyone please explain to me how in 2014 adults can believe that people perform miracles?  Seriously

The same way that people believe in anything that cannot or has not been proven. 

I believe in God. I went ahead and capitalized it now please tell me which God I'm referring to. Stop being an idiot and take the constructive criticism. Phone Post 3.0

" It isn't a church thing, it is an English language thing.  "

No, it is an arrogance thing.  

hockeychick - 

"you cannot prove god but you cannot disprove him either, that is faith"  now insert any other word for god, like vampires, Loch Ness monster, or unicorns

You do realize that only an idiot would not capitalize Odin right? My point is not about belief but about respect. I guess you did not read the thread. I believe it was either Jesus or AI who said "Even the demons in Hell believe in God". Faith is believing in something without proof. Faith is not an issue of not being able to prove or disprove something, 

"You do realize that only an idiot would not capitalize Odin right?"

So is Odin a God or a god?