Spokesperson for atheists was murdered?

This is going to sound horrible but I thought Madalyn Murray O'Hair was still alive. Turns out she was horribly murdered along with her family by someone in the American Atheists organization.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madalyn_Murray_O%27Hair#Murder

It blows my mind that the woman that defined atheism in the Supreme Court was, by the sound of it, a horrible person. Apparently when he own son became a Christian she said:

"One could call this a postnatal abortion on the part of a mother, I guess; I repudiate him entirely and completely for now and all times ... he is beyond human forgiveness."

This American Atheists group was nastier than I thought and still running around being activists.

http://www.atheists.org/about-us/history

In her opening statement before the Supreme Court, Madalyn said:

"Your petitioners are atheists and they define their beliefs as follows. An atheist loves his fellow man instead of god. An atheist believes that heaven is something for which we should work now – here on earth for all men together to enjoy. An atheist believes that he can get no help through prayer but that he must find in himself the inner conviction and strength to meet life, to grapple with it, to subdue it, and enjoy it. An atheist believes that only in a knowledge of himself and a knowledge of his fellow man can he find the understanding that will help to a life of fulfillment. He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death. He wants disease conquered, poverty vanquished, war eliminated. He wants man to understand and love man. He wants an ethical way of life. He believes that we cannot rely on a god or channel action into prayer nor hope for an end of troubles in a hereafter. He believes that we are our brother's keepers and are keepers of our own lives; that we are responsible persons and the job is here and the time is now."

People are people and they're fucked up all around... Believer or Atheist doesn't makes this any more or less true.

amadeus - People are people and they're fucked up all around... Believer or Atheist doesn't makes this any more or less true.

I agree, I am just struck by the irony of it. The woman that wrote that an atheist, by definition, leads an ethical life and wants man to love man was a horrible woman with a horrible organization staffed by murderers and thieves.

Ogami Itto - 
amadeus - People are people and they're fucked up all around... Believer or Atheist doesn't makes this any more or less true.

I agree, I am just struck by the irony of it. The woman that wrote that an atheist, by definition, leads an ethical life and wants man to love man was a horrible woman with a horrible organization staffed by murderers and thieves.

Yea. Her hipocracy is special... And especially frightening considering it was her son.

amadeus - 
Ogami Itto - 

Yea. Her hipocracy is special... And especially frightening considering it was her son.

Don't get me wrong there are fucked up people in all churches, too, but this woman got up there in front of the Supreme Court and said "I don't need God to be ethical. In fact, I am more ethical because I don't believe in God." And her adherents believed the same thing.

Read that wiki, American Atheists sounds pretty fucked up!

Ogami Itto - 

I've never heard of her and I would disagree with her definition. Atheism is simply the non-belief in a god/gods. Nothing more. So sayeth the dictionary.

thats a pretty good speech.

Sagiv Lapkin - 
Ogami Itto - 

I've never heard of her and I would disagree with her definition. Atheism is simply the non-belief in a god/gods. Nothing more. So sayeth the dictionary.

I know, dude, but this lady stood up in the Supreme Court and defined atheism. She has set a legal precedent for what an atheist is. Arguably, she has put a stick in the ground and given the only "official" definition of atheism in American culture.

Pretty nuts...

Sagiv Lapkin -
Ogami Itto - 

As always, Sagiv speaks the truth.

I am not a special snowflake 'cause I don't believe in god, I just don't believe. Phone Post 3.0

Ogami Itto - 

sounds like America Government to me

Ogami Itto - 
Sagiv Lapkin - 
Ogami Itto - 

I know, dude, but this lady stood up in the Supreme Court and defined atheism. She has set a legal precedent for what an atheist is. Arguably, she has put a stick in the ground and given the only "official" definition of atheism in American culture.

Just because she gave testimony in front of the SCOTUS (in what context, btw?) doesn't mean that her testimony is now the legal precedent for the definition of what an atheist is.

Doesn't it? I mean, you may be right. Where the OG lawyers at?

It was actually a landmark case. If you visit the site it was in a case in the early 60s about compulsory Bible reading in public schools, which she won.

u do realize some of the worst mass killers on the planet were atheists right?

josef stalin

mao zedong

timothy mcveigh

jeffrey dahmer

eric harris & dylan klebold

just to name a few...

Jimmy Rustler - 

josef stalin

mao zedong

timothy mcveigh

jeffrey dahmer

just to name a few...

Dahmer was religious, mcveigh believed in god when he comitted the crime.

None of them killed in the name of atheism.

shaqitup - 
Jimmy Rustler - 

josef stalin

mao zedong

timothy mcveigh

jeffrey dahmer

just to name a few...

Dahmer was religious, mcveigh believed in god when he comitted the crime.

None of them killed in the name of atheism.

dahmer only turned religious when he was in jail, not at time of killing

thirdleg - American Atheists are the Westboro Baptists of atheism.

In fact, they are much closer to being believers than they are to being genuine atheists.

Very astute observation, and an apt comparison.

effinggoof - 
thirdleg - American Atheists are the Westboro Baptists of atheism.

In fact, they are much closer to being believers than they are to being genuine atheists.

Very astute observation, and an apt comparison.

Indeed. Under O'Hair the organization was down to, like, four people. They've been growing and still active since then.

Why are you so obsessed with atheists? Phone Post