Sponsors... How to get em...

I want to compete more but honestly its just to damn expensive to do all the time. Someone must have the skinny on how to get sponsors.. I'm not looking for all expenses paid trips but tourney fees and help wit gas money would be cool..

at any rate..

either flame me or help me below this line
---------------------------------------------------

Do you have wins? That's probably a good place to start. You might be able to get free shorts from a start-up clothing company. That's probably worth something.

An old teammate of mine had his local fitness gym sponsor him while he was still a whitebelt.

They paid to have their logo emboidered on his gi/shorts & covered all his tourney entry fees. He just went up to the counter asked the owner.

Resident A Hole - An old teammate of mine had his local fitness gym sponsor him while he was still a whitebelt.

They paid to have their logo emboidered on his gi/shorts & covered all his tourney entry fees. He just went up to the counter asked the owner.

Thats what I am gathering... its just about being ballsy enough to ask

there's no secret: you need medals

I don't think my white belt in masters @NAGA is very impressive. Although I did take second in blue belt absolute a few months ago, but there were only two of us lol...

Judo Scott - 
Resident A Hole - An old teammate of mine had his local fitness gym sponsor him while he was still a whitebelt.

Thats what I am gathering... its just about being ballsy enough to ask

If you don't ask, the answer is always no.

If you know anyone who owns a gym, chiro, supplement store, those are good places to start. Honestly, unless you know someone it is going to be very difficult to land a sponsor as a white/blue belt unless you are a mma fighter. It is difficult to get sponsors even as a higher belt.

Fortunately, I have a great sponsor, who actually makes a product I like and enjoy wearing:

www.hybridgi.com

Put a sponsorship package together. Include a brief bio, accomlishments, and your short term and long term goals.

Include what you need to meet both goals.

I stated that any amount will help. Sometiems a bunch of little sponsors are just as good as one large one.

Make sure it looks prfessional. If you can get a point of contact at the company that is best. Send it to them and see what happens

Judo Scott - I don't think my white belt in masters @NAGA is very impressive. Although I did take second in blue belt absolute a few months ago, but there were only two of us lol...

The guy I mentioned in my first post did not have any tourney wins, before or during his sponsorship. I don't think he even won more than 2-3 matches of the 10 or so I saw him in.

Gyms just may want to try & cash in on the "ufc craze". It only costs <$100 for a local tourney. If the business gets 1 new member as a result of their logo being on a BJJ competitor, they win. Try all your local fitness gyms.