Sportfight results + pics

What happened to Justin Tavernini? Did he fight or is their someones name mispelled? I thought he left to go earlier on in the week according to one of his team mates. If he didn't fight why not?

I guess Justin never fought. I know a few last minute changes took place so he was probably one of them. One fight was cancelled I beleive due to a death or illness in one of the fighters' families, which is very unfortunate. I don't know the whole story or if that was his fight.

Pitmasta, I didn't start taking pictures until the last 4 fights so unfortunately I didn't get any pics of Alarcon, but I did get a ton from the Glover fight...most of the better ones are pictured on this thread but I can still send the others as well if you'd like.-Brad

JD Stanley choked Buck Tiland out with a rear naked choke. He didn't tap though. Tough kid.

Ian Loveland VS Ralf Alarcon was a great back and forth fight. First fight for both of them.

Brandon Melendez VS Damien Douglas. Douglas walked to the ring trying to look like he was all furious and gonna kill his opponent. I was hoping he'd get KOd and he did.

Brandon Mihaljcic dominated Jim Pope. Took him down to quarters position and pound him for the tap out in 33 seconds. Told you so Sovann. :)

Hank Weiss VS Troy O'Connor. I thought the stoppage was terrible. I was about 10 feet away from the fighters when they stopped it. O'Conner was 24-0 until this early stoppage. He may have lost before the end of the round, but he was fine when the ref stopped it.

Kyacey Uscola VS Wrecc. I had never seen Wrecc fight, but he he hits hard. I was disappointed to see him swing wildly like Robbie Lawler. Wrecc showed he has a chin though. Uscolla can punch pretty hard and he was lighting Wrecc up in the corner. Wrecc's throw looked alot like Lindland VS Vitale 1. He was out when they hit. Uscolla sat up and blasted him some good shots though. Matt had a big smile on his face and yelled "Lindland!" to the crowd. lol

Ed Herman VS Jason Flynn. Ed kept getting good position and then giving it up for an armbar attempt. He must have went for ten armbars before he got one in good. Ed's best friend died earlier in the week and he still stepped in there against a tough opponent and won.

Matt Horwich VS Glover Texiera. Glover "The Brazilian Pitbull" Texiera said before the fight that if it goes to the ground it's over. Instead he spent the whole time on the ground defending submissions. Matt almost had his arm a couple times. Matt needs to really work on his boxing. I only saw him throw one punch on the feet. He just covers up and walks through the punches and knees into the clinch. He makes it look easy. He can't expect to pull guard on a good BJJ guy all night and win though. Not saying he can't win, but you're gonna lose some that way as he did last night.

Brad, I looked for you but didn't see you.

I was in the second row right where Wrecc came through the ropes.

Great picture.

Randy looks like a stud in that tux.

"Couture... Randy Couture"

That one dude's nickname was "Bling Bling".

I was hoping Randy would say it, but Franklin asked him about it instead. He said he got it because he has "money moves". lol

Would have loved to hear Randy say "bling bling" though. lol

What was the attendance at the show like? I believe the building seats 3,500. How much of it looked to be sold?

jacob

whens the next event? i seen it might be june 26.

nice pic's, cool.

The place was pretty big and mostly full though there were a few areas with groups of empty seats. I'd say there were definitely more people than at the armory shows.

June 26 is the next event, no fights have been announced for that one yet though it sounds like they're gonna try to set up Burkman vs Uscola and Dennis Davis should be on the card as well.

Jacob, up until the Uscola fight I was sitting way across the way, in the back where I spent most of my time watching the big screen. Then I saw my cousins and sat up with them for the last few and that's when I was able to get the good pictures. I was about 3rd row over there, but it was exact opposite side of the ring. If you had seen me, it would have been when I was up and about taking pictures.

For the most part I agree with your assessment. I can see both sides on the O'Connor stoppage, like I said I thought it was the timing that was poor..had he stopped it 3 seconds earlier I wouldn't have argued, but the ref waited until O'Connor was out of danger, and that's when he stopped it and that made no sense whatsoever. You could clearly see that O'Connor was fine AT the time of the stoppage, and that's why everyone was so upset.

I totally agree with your assessment of Horwich...he's possibly my favorite local fighter to watch, because you can't help but root for the guy. But his game is so 1 dimensional that it will be hard for him to win against certain types of fighters, and Glover was a bad matchup for him I think. Horwich will excel against the brawlers who are better on their feet than on the ground, because he's great at weathering the initial storm and then getting them down and submitting them. But against a guy with terrific submission skill and sub defense like Glover Texiera, he really didn't seem to have a backup plan when he couldn't get the sub. I'd like to see him mix in more strikes of his own rather than just covering up and charging in, and on the ground as well I think strikes would do him well. I almost get the feeling though that he's such a nice guy he doesn't want to hit people. Who knows.

Glover was impressive, but I would have liked to see him go for the kill. He seemed content with getting a lay n pray decision, perhaps because he didn't want to risk getting subbed out. I think a better strategy for him might have been to try to keep it on the feet more, rather than willingly go to the ground and then just lay n pray. He really did nothing on the ground but avoid subs and stay on top.

It'll be interesting to see the 205 class develop, because I see Uscola beating Glover, but we've already seen Horwich beating Uscola and Glover beating Horwich. The styles matchups are such that I think if they kept fighting a round robin tournament between the 3 of them, they'd all end up with a .500 record.

"had he stopped it 3 seconds earlier I wouldn't have argued"

You're right.

How often are you gonna be in the gym?

I don't really know, probably only a couple days a week at least at the start. We'll see how it goes.

Glad you all enjoyed the show? You didn't mention the big screens? What did you think? Forget all that the fights are what made this show. The guys fought their hearts out especially Ed Herman and Matt Horwich. Flinn is a tough dud that guy is no joke and Ed pulled of a good win. I heard this guy beat Dean Lister. Matt showed so much heart fought one of his best fights yet and came up short against a real tough fighter. Yes this was a bad match up for Matt's style but a real good test and now he knows what he has to do to get where he wants to be. I love Matt to he is definitely my favorite guy as well. How can a guy with such a kind heart be as good of a fighter as he is? It's true he really doesn't want to hurt other fighters, but he is going to learn how to

I want to thank all the fighters who fought last night you all showed a ton of class and I was proud to have you guys there

"You didn't mention the big screens?"

The big screens were a very nice addition and clear from any angle. Also, the sound here was much better...at the Armory we couldn't hear anything the fighters were saying in the pre-recorded interviews. At MHCC, you could hear everything clearly.

Herman looks to have REALLY improved his game since the first time we saw him. Similar to Leben, both guys just seem to keep stepping up in competition and yet keep winning. Very impressive. That Herman-Flinn fight was about as evenly matched and action packed as any fight I've seen.

Great pics!

Cool pics. Congrats on the show. I hope you guys continue to be more and more successful.

ttt for the law.

Sounds like an awesome show. Hopefully I will be at the June 26th show.

Yesterday Glover told me over and over again what a nice nice guy Matt Horwich is. He said a lot of great things about Horwich.

We knew nothing about Horwich before the fight. Glover is just getting started in this sport, he has only 2 yrs and 4 months training in TOTAL. He has only just begun to learn to strike. You will see an improved Glover Teixeira at every fight. He is very new to the sport and knew to all aspects of the martial arts. This was only Glover's 2nd fight ever. His first fight came 2 yrs ago. A lot of his fight was him just getting his feet wet in the sport and getting a feel for what he has to do.