Sports commentary explained

Since people think anyone can team with anyone, here is why they cannot:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_commentator

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_commentator

Lead vs color:

Lead or Play by play guys: Goldberg, Mauro, Quadros, Schiavello, Gus Johnson, Anik...

Colour: Rogan, Bas, Miletich, Shamrock, Florian, Frye, Couture, Bravo...

Hope this has been informative

"Colour: Rogan, Bas, Miletich, Shamrock, Florian, Frye, Couture, Bravo..."

That would be an unreal team!

Eunuchorn - "Colour: Rogan, Bas, Miletich, Shamrock, Florian, Frye, Couture, Bravo..."

That would be an unreal team!

lol

Fuckin finally. My goodness, people! You can't just throw someone without PBP experience in that seat for a major event.. In all of sports, there are two defined roles for commentating Play By Play and Color.

Examples of PBP, Jim Lampley, Marv Albert, Al Michaels, Bob Costas, Mike Tirico, Joe Buck (god forbid).. These are trained broadcasters who have made a career in sportscasting, their job is to carry the show and not allow dead air under any circumstances. Some are better than others and offer style and opinion to go along with the action call.

Color Commentators- A second opinion on what is happening, and a describer of said action. They offer back story, technique and strategy commentary, and a flair.. Hence the term Color.

You can't just ignore the protocol for a successful broadcast because you like someone and think they would be cool.. a lot of money is invested in a sporting event broadcast and it must be handled professionally. Could you imagine Charles Barkley doing PBP of a basketball game? It would be a disaster.

hellride - Fuckin finally. My goodness, people! You can't just throw someone without PBP experience in that seat for a major event.. In all of sports, there are two defined roles for commentating Play By Play and Color.

Examples of PBP, Jim Lampley, Marv Albert, Al Michaels, Bob Costas, Mike Tirico, Joe Buck (god forbid).. These are trained broadcasters who have made a career in sportscasting, their job is to carry the show and not allow dead air under any circumstances. Some are better than others and offer style and opinion to go along with the action call.

Color Commentators- A second opinion on what is happening, and a describer of said action. They offer back story, technique and strategy commentary, and a flair.. Hence the term Color.

You can't just ignore the protocol for a successful broadcast because you like someone and think they would be cool.. a lot of money is invested in a sporting event broadcast and it must be handled professionally. Could you imagine Charles Barkley doing PBP of a basketball game? It would be a disaster.

Yeah I don't get how this is so hard to pick up on I knew this by the time I was 10

Quadros/Raunallo with bas and hogan.

The dumbest of all things on this subject I see is "So and so sucks as lead because he's not all knowing at MMA"

That's not why LEAD guys get hired, they get hired for the fluidness of their delivery and professionalism of their presentation. They have a ton of sponsors tie-ins and transitions to account for and ad-lib if necessary.

NONE of the color guys have this training or experience like hellride explained.

Lampley is the only answer.. Now that Merchant retired, maybe it could be time to mix it up for him.. If only. (I'm sure he is under HBO contract for eternity) My goodness how amazing would that be. "Welcome fight fans, I'm Jim Lampley along with my college Joe Rogan here at UFC 156"

Chills, fucking chills.

Sad you even had to make this thread Chaos but you are right, so many people saying the stupidest shit.

Also just for those who dont know Mauro, Qaudros and Frank I believe are in Japan for the NYE Dream/GG show.

So your options for a PBP guy are Gus, Anik, Harris, Voice.

Gus and Voice, hell no, Anik is on staff as a UFC employee and has been doing UFC B level shows, why on earth would they go outside the company when they have a guy in house?

Glazer would also qualify and so would Curt Menefee who does the UFC fox panel

ChaosOverkill - 

Neither have actually done PBP for an mma show, they run the desk, thats not the same as doing actual PBP.

Both of them woudl be terrible in that role.

anik is clearly the best available option.

I think Menefee's delivery is superb and if he wasn't committed to football on Sunday would do a great job but I think other than Glazer or a Lampley Anik is the best they got

Chris27 - 
ChaosOverkill - 

Neither have actually done PBP for an mma show, they run the desk, thats not the same as doing actual PBP.

Both of them woudl be terrible in that role.

anik is clearly the best available option.

Glazer has done indy shows I think, 

I agree though they aren't suited for the MMA environment necessarily but they have the same training as far as the PBP skillset

I've heard Menefee do PBP before, he's just better at leading discussions with a large group

Glazer's voice is quite annoying, and Menefee is not a fight man. If Uncle Dana would open the pocketbook and buy out Jimbo smooth, they would have instant credibility in the booth along with award winning broadcasting. With MMA growing and boxing dwindling it would open a whole new avenue for both parties.

ChaosOverkill - 

Since people think anyone can team with anyone, here is why they cannot:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_commentator

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_commentator

Lead vs color:

Lead or Play by play guys: Goldberg, Mauro, Quadros, Schiavello, Gus Johnson, Anik...

Colour: Rogan, Bas, Miletich, Shamrock, Florian, Frye, Couture, Bravo...

Hope this has been informative

I am shocked how many people dont understand this!

hellride - Glazer's voice is quite annoying, and Menefee is not a fight man. If Uncle Dana would open the pocketbook and buy out Jimbo smooth, they would have instant credibility in the booth along with award winning broadcasting. With MMA growing and boxing dwindling it would open a whole new avenue for both parties.

Trust me I totally agree. This was one of things I though Fox would require of them to enter into a new era of the sport

Theres also a lot of local promotions in Montreal that have guys that are becoming better than most of the pro organization p4p guys too

ChaosOverkill - 

I've heard Menefee do PBP before, he's just better at leading discussions with a large group

I didnt know that, I cant image either of them would be good calling mma.

Menefee knows nothing about the sport and Glazer is kind of annoying.

Anik you know can do the job, is on staff and is ready to go.

And why is anyone mentioning Lampley?

the guy is an HBO boxing guy who HATES MMA WITH A PASSION.

Money talks.. and hatred walks.