Spurs lose 1st round; 100% sure (except Nuggs) ?

My incredible friends, I fear that unless somehow my beloved Spurs play against the Nuggets in the first round they are but doomed to lose. 

Or maybe Houston, they could beat Houston.

However I must admit that end of this season is near.  This team doesn't have it.  Too many minutes for Manu this year, nagging injuries for Tony, age and injury catching up with the other players.  I can see them losing to the Hornets, the Lakers, the Mavs, the Suns, the Jazz, the Warriors . . . things just aren't right, and it will take a miracle to make it out of the west.  Even if they do, I'd think the Celtics or Pistons would be reasonable favorites.

This team can't hang with the other teams anymore because of scoring problems.  I don't think it can be addressed in the little time left, though I hope I'm wrong.  But everytime God closes a door, the devil opens a window or something.

A first round loss will be most likely the agent of change the team needs.  Mahinmi MUST be given full opportunities next season to play a major role.  Not because Mahinmi is going to be great or anything, but because he can add a lot to the offense in ways that Oberto and others can't, a strong finisher who's athletic enough to get it done.  It might seem a small thing, but Duncan is a landlocked player past the age of 30. 

Splitter also must be given every opportunity.  I don't think he has the upside of Mahinmi, Splitter is more of a PJ Brown/Kurt Thomas type player with a definite ceiling.  That's a good thing of course, but Mahinmi is where I believe the future lies.

There must also be a concerted effort to have youth at the 2/3 and for that youth to be pushed into maturity.  Whether it's a first round pick this summer or bringing in Sanikidze and hoping he doesn't twist his ankles off like he manages to do once a month overseas, something must be done.

And there must be a new back-up point guard.  Jacque Vaughn is an emergency player, not a rotation player.  And getting old washed up bricklayers like Van Exel or Stoudamire makes things worse.  A young energetic point must be had, be he draftee or invitee.  They had Darius Washington, but he makes one mistake by being aggressive out of the offense and missing a dunk against GS and he's in Pop's permanent doghouse.

This must change.

All these things must happen.  Mistakes have been made in the past, big mistakes, costly mistakes.

But the future still exists there.

I can see it.  Just beyond the horizon, a light, a beacon, it's rays streaming forth with the hope of fans that always says . . . next year is OUR YEAR!  Odd numbered year baby!

Hopefully the Spurs will right the ship when the time comes.

The one hope for this year that remains is that the coaching staff and bored vets are much better within the series format.  They're a team who practices less than any other team except the Knicks because of their age, but in a series format when they can break down film extensively and have long sessions to practice and review,

That could be their saving grace.

Unless Manu is holding something back we could very well be fucked!

Sadly, I agree with the doctor.

GREAT NEWS!!!!! Manu is out with a groin injury indefinitely!!!! Hopefully he will just miss a couple of games.

Did the Suns steal the Spurs warrior spirit last night?

I mean according to this forum the Suns were fucked after the letdown against the Mavs Sunday, now the sky is falling over the Alamo...

lol, if you actually watched the NBA Maddog you would have seen that the Spurs the previous two games were horrible and couldn't score (though they miraculously won against Portland), and that two key reserves (Horry and Barry) from the 05 and 07 titles haven't played in a while and may not return even for the first round of the playoffs due to age related injury problems.

If I "actually watched the NBA"? What kind of shit is that doc? I watch as many national broadcasts of other teams as I can, and those that I don't see I find the highlights on ESPN.

I was unable to view the ass raping you guys recieved in Utah because I was in attendence at the Suns Wolves game.

But targeting me for not seeing every single game for every single team is laughable. Im easily one of the most well "read" fans as far as the NBA as a whole is concerned on this forum, and the first to point out fault when my own team is not playing well. Most of the people here don't even watch all the games for their OWN team, much less other teams.

and LOFL@ you suddenly thinking horry and barry are what puts the Spurs over the top. I remember you bitching and moaning about pop playing washed up has beens too much and you mentioned BOTH BY NAME, because apparently you guys have all these ROTYs on the bench but they just arent being used correctly.

The only thing horry is good for anymore is trying to instigate the other teams superstars into brawls, when is the last time he hit a three or any shot for that matter when it counted?

---"and LOFL@ you suddenly thinking horry and barry are what puts the Spurs over the top. I remember you bitching and moaning about pop playing washed up has beens too much and you mentioned BOTH BY NAME,"---

When two key rotation players are done in by age and injury, that hurts a team's chances.  Seeing as how the Suns have never developed a bench beyond a selfish Barbosa before this year I can see how you might not be able to understand that.

---"because apparently you guys have all these ROTYs on the bench but they just arent being used correctly.""---

Now THIS is rich.  An accusation of illogical homerism regarding my team's prospects from Maddog.

There is one guy on the team now that I've been talking up and that's Ian Mahinmi.  One guy, who is a big, which is reasonable because the Spurs have one of the worst starting centers in the league in Oberto and a non-playing Horry and a horrible Matt Bonner also on the squad.

Considering how I was RIGHT in my predictions about Scola, considering how I was RIGHT in predicting the Spurs' early 2007 2nd rounder Marcus Williams from Arizona would be cut during training camp, considering how I was RIGHT in predicting Sacramento as a good place for Beno, considering how I was RIGHT in noting the danger of Darius Washington getting cut (mistakenly I believe), considering how I was RIGHT about just about everything regarding Spurs players and prospects, I have an excellent track record.

What about your track record?

You claimed that Tucker and DJ Strawberry were dark horse rookie of the year candidates!

LOL!

---"The only thing horry is good for anymore is trying to instigate the other teams superstars into brawls, when is the last time he hit a three or any shot for that matter when it counted?"---

1. You gotta admit the brawl thing is pretty useful.

2. Horry did play huge against Denver last year, he single handedly won a game for them with huge defensive plays and dagger in the heart threes, and had an awesome game 2 of the Finals where he had 9 boards and 5 big blocks.

"Seeing as how the Suns have never developed a bench beyond a selfish Barbosa before this year I can see how you might not be able to understand that."

Its not a matter of "understanding". And yes Barbs is a fucking BALLHOG and it drives me nuts. When he isnt cutting to the rim or hitting his 3s, he is completely useless. Ive made many posts about my anger with regard to the Suns poor decision making when it comes to building a usable bench.

"Now THIS is rich. An accusation of illogical homerism regarding my team's prospects from Maddog.

There is one guy on the team now that I've been talking up and that's Ian Mahinmi. One guy, who is a big, which is reasonably because the Spurs have one of the worst starting centers in the league in Oberto and a non-playing Horry and a horrible Matt Bonner also on the squad.

Considering how I was RIGHT in my predictions about Scola, considering how I was RIGHT in predicting the Spurs' early 2007 2nd rounder Marcus Williams from Arizona would be cut during training camp, considering how I was RIGHT in predicting Sacramento as a good place for Beno, considering how I was RIGHT in noting the danger of Darius Washington getting cut (mistakenly I believe), considering how I was RIGHT about just about everything regarding Spurs players and prospects, I have an excellent track record."

No need to be an asshole about it, I don't question your basketball IQ. I consider you one of the best forum members in this regard. But my point stands, you didnt lose that game because Horry and Barry did not play.

"You claimed that Tucker and DJ Strawberry were dark horse rookie of the year candidates!"

I think Tucker on the right team WOULD be a ROTY, but his game isnt suited to this system (or maybe it is, we havent seen him play post Shaq trade).

I also feel DJ couldve been a ROTY candidate on THIS team if he got the minutes to prove it. His defensive game is already better than most backcourt players who have been in the league for years. He has explosive athleticism and if he can hit a jumper with consistancy he will be a force in the NBA.

But D'Antoni doesnt play Tucker, and DJ sees garbage minutes at best. Its on the coach here, but at the same time given how deep our team is at the 2 and 3 its pretty hard to justify giving those guys minutes. THe talent is there, though.

"1. You gotta admit the brawl thing is pretty useful."

Sure it was, bought you boys a championship. But I am not going down that hate filled agression inducing road again. I will concede that my boys need to be more fucking intelligent when it comes to shit like that.

"2. Horry did play huge against Denver last year, he single handedly won a game for them with huge defensive plays and dagger in the heart threes, and had an awesome game 2 of the Finals where he had 9 boards and 5 big blocks."

Denver is going to lose in the 1st round, assuming they even make the playoffs.

Anyway all of these questions and plenty of others will be answered in the next 2 months.

No need to be an asshole about it, I don't question your basketball IQ. I consider you one of the best forum members in this regard. But my point stands, you didnt lose that game because Horry and Barry did not play.

This is the NBA forum, we're all assholes here.   ;)

My point isn't about losing a single game because of Horry and Barry (and the rest of the old slugs), it's all the games and the impact that has on the team.  Without those guys Pop rides the big three more, when the big three have more on their shoulders, they're the ones who have to play more minutes, make more big plays, and they're the ones who break down.

The Spurs aren't talented enough to overcome injuries even if only to role players. 

Anyway all of these questions and plenty of others will be answered in the next 2 months.

I don't think you'll have to wait that long with the Spurs, they'll be done in a month.

I just hope to god they don't waste their first round pick on another Arizona scrub.  Please tell Chase Budinger to go back to school.

"This is the NBA forum, we're all assholes here. ;) "

Touche :P

"My point isn't about losing a single game because of Horry and Barry (and the rest of the old slugs), it's all the games and the impact that has on the team. Without those guys Pop rides the big three more, when the big three have more on their shoulders, they're the ones who have to play more minutes, make more big plays, and they're the ones who break down."

Point taken, but you know damn well Horry has been totally useless in non thuggery settings for the past two seasons, and Barry has just completely mailed it in this year. Yer problem is the same as the Suns problem, not enough quality youth, or at least the kind of youth you can put in the game when it actually matters.

"Please tell Chase Budinger to go back to school."

Ill send him a text. Ill also send a blanket text to the Suns management and tell them not to give anymore quality draft picks away for cash and future 2nd rounders.

Unfortunately I am sure both messages will fall on deaf ears.

"Point taken, but you know damn well Horry has been totally useless in non thuggery settings for the past two seasons, and Barry has just completely mailed it in this year."

Not quite, like I said, Horry won a game in the Denver series for the Spurs in 07 and had a huge game 2 against the Cavs.  It didn't match his 05 playoff run, but it was still pretty good.

Barry early this year was actually playing his best ball as a Spur.  Then he messed up his calf, came back, and then messed it up worse.

I just dont see either one of those examples as being anything more than luck and shooters touch from a former long range hitman. And its not like Horry was needed to dispatch the Nugs or Cavs.

As far as Barry, well his best day as a spur dont amount to much IMO...i may eat my words if he magically comes back and dominates in the Playoffs, but Im not counting on it and you shouldnt either.