Squats on a Smith Machine?

Joe Ray - Strengthening legs, specifically glutes.

I have problems with leg stability that prevent me from running and need to strengthen the gluteal area.

With your goal being to strengthen your glutes, Smith Machine squats are not going to be a good option. There are TONS of other better variations for gluteal recruitment, activation, and strengthening.

Some include deadlifts, Glute bridges w/ a BB, hip thrusters w/ a BB, Pull throughs, KB/DB swings, etc.

MattB ATC - 
Joe Ray - Strengthening legs, specifically glutes.

I have problems with leg stability that prevent me from running and need to strengthen the gluteal area.

With your goal being to strengthen your glutes, Smith Machine squats are not going to be a good option. There are TONS of other better variations for gluteal recruitment, activation, and strengthening.

Some include deadlifts, Glute bridges w/ a BB, hip thrusters w/ a BB, Pull throughs, KB/DB swings, etc.

^^^This. The Smith seems to specifically limit posterior chain recruitment which is why some people feel it makes squats dangerous. It shifts the load from your hips to knees.

If you need to recruit glutes/posterior chain I'd focus on Romanian Deadlifts, hyper-extensions and reverse hyper-extensions.

I am a big believer in the squat. I switched gyms a year or two ago when I started lifting for mma so I feel your pain and can say without smugness...just switch gyms.

But if that isnt an option. what about weighted walking lunges? I am more asking the forum for my own edification so while there is absolutely no substitute for the squat in my mind that might be decent?

For the time being I am stuck where I am. I shall just add deadlifts to my routine.