St Louis shooting - do you believe the cops?

Stan Wang - 
amadeus - 
Drunkie - the odds of someone being dumb enough to try and fight a cop are slim. now 2 guys that stupid willing to do it is even slimmer.

I'm nothing picking sides on this one till more information is available, but you've got to be trolling with this comment. People pick fights with cops all the time...

yeah, spontaneous squad car invasions happen all the time. you can't swing a dead cat without hitting two people that decided to try to attack an armed police officer while being unarmed....

I've seen people start fights with cops at least a half dozen time in a two year period for as little as a reprimand not to drink alcohol on the street. Not an arrest, not a ticket, a suggestion to throw the booze away or finish it when it is illegal. I've seen them punch cops, jump on their cars, and spit at them. Enough with the people aren't that dumb comment. Happens every day in some spots in Chicago.

Why not just wait to get the facts before burning down your city? Even if they cop murdered the kid what does burning down someone's business do. I support the protesters bit these rioting clowns. Phone Post 3.0

But not * Phone Post 3.0

angryinch - Simple question. Do you believe the official story as is being told to the public by the cops?

I missed it. What is the official story?

thanks

McSurly - 
Stan Wang - 
amadeus - 
Drunkie - the odds of someone being dumb enough to try and fight a cop are slim. now 2 guys that stupid willing to do it is even slimmer.

I'm nothing picking sides on this one till more information is available, but you've got to be trolling with this comment. People pick fights with cops all the time...

yeah, spontaneous squad car invasions happen all the time. you can't swing a dead cat without hitting two people that decided to try to attack an armed police officer while being unarmed....

I've seen people start fights with cops at least a half dozen time in a two year period for as little as a reprimand not to drink alcohol on the street. Not an arrest, not a ticket, a suggestion to throw the booze away or finish it when it is illegal. I've seen them punch cops, jump on their cars, and spit at them. Enough with the people aren't that dumb comment. Happens every day in some spots in Chicago.

i grew up in miami and  now am out here in michigan. i'm in detroit all the time and i have never seen people just run up and attack cops. 

"Cops don't draw weapons without provocation."

Incorrect. Have you been living under a rock?

"Cops don't walk up and shoot people randomly ( according to half of twitter thats what happened )"

Define 'randomly'.

Stan Wang - 
McSurly - 
Stan Wang - 
amadeus - 

yeah, ok.

Between you and angrybitch today, we are all getting an education with your well crafted and thought out responses. It's amazing we haven't all come over to your line of thinking based on the all the reasons you have produced for accepting your obviously correct conclusions as fact. Well done, I bow to your intellectual superiority.

hooke - 
angryinch - Simple question. Do you believe the official story as is being told to the public by the cops?

thanks

Essentially that the guy decided to pick a fight with the cop, chased the cop into his squad car, followed the cop into the squad car, and tried to take the cop's gun away from him...inside the squad car.

Drunkie - 
McSurly - 
Stan Wang - 
amadeus - 

i grew up in miami and  now am out here in michigan. i'm in detroit all the time and i have never seen people just run up and attack cops. 

That means nothing. Realistically the only response you can counter my post with is either you believe it or you don't. Lots of things happen every day I've never seen. I get based on your earlier post you don't think it happens and that's fine, but never seeing something isn't a logical argument to whether or not something ever occurs.

McSurly - 
Drunkie - 
McSurly - 
Stan Wang - 
amadeus - 

That means nothing. Realistically the only response you can counter my post with is either you believe it or you don't. Lots of things happen every day I've never seen. I get based on your earlier post you don't think it happens and that's fine, but never seeing something isn't a logical argument to whether or not something ever occurs.

I'd say it's much more common for a cop to pick a fight with someone than for someone to just up and pick a fight with a random cop.

What we've been exposed to after the advent of highly portable cameras and cameras built into cell phones supports this assertion.

angryinch - 
hooke - 

thanks

Essentially that the guy decided to pick a fight with the cop, chased the cop into his squad car, followed the cop into the squad car, and tried to take the cop's gun away from him...inside the squad car.

That doesn't sound like an official story. That reads like your summary. Has an official statement been released by the police department regarding what transpired?

Not trying to be a dick, just trying to get their statement of facts before I say whether I believe them or not.

hooke - 
angryinch - 
hooke - 

thanks

That doesn't sound like an official story. That reads like your summary. Has an official statement been released by the police department regarding what transpired?

Not trying to be a dick, just trying to get their statement of facts before I say whether I believe them or not.

I believe the chief made a statement and it was in essence an "official sounding" version of exactly what I said.

The average person has no clue what crime goes on around them. People fighting with officers is nearly a daily occurrence at my department. Meth users, gangsters, parolees-at-large, and the mentally-ill do not operate under the same rules of logic and societal norms. I have never had to seek out a use of force as there are plenty that find me. I would much rather talk someone into handcuffs than fight them. At my department, this is the norm.

On Sunday morning, Belmar said the unarmed Brown had been struggling for a Ferguson police officer’s gun in a patrol car before he was killed. Brown was shot multiple times Saturday afternoon in the confrontation.

According to Belmar, Brown was walking with a friend in the middle of the street when an officer attempted to exit his vehicle. Police said Brown pushed the officer back into the police car.

Brown then entered the officer’s vehicle and a struggle ensued over the officer’s weapon, according to police. During the altercation a shot was fired inside the car.

The officer and Brown then exited the vehicle and at that point the fatal shooting occurred, Belmar said. Brown was shot “more than just a couple of times,” but it was unclear how many shots were fired, the chief said

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-missouri-st-louis-police-shooting-teen-20140811-story.html#page=1

Here is the actual police statement.

"The police on Sunday said they were still trying to sort out the exact details, but they released what they said was the fullest account of the shooting that they could provide. Just after noon on Saturday, the police said, an officer in a patrol car approached Mr. Brown and another man. As the officer began to leave his vehicle, one of the men pushed the officer back into the car and "physically assaulted" him, according to the police department's account.

A struggle occurred "over the officer's weapon," and at least one shot was fired inside the car, Chief Belmar said. The two left the car, and the officer shot Mr. Brown about 35 feet away from the vehicle, the police reported. Several shots were fired from the officer's weapon."

angryinch - 
hooke - 
angryinch - 
hooke - 

thanks

I believe the chief made a statement and it was in essence an "official sounding" version of exactly what I said.

I did some quick searching and you are correct. About the best I could find was:

"According to Belmar, Brown was walking with a friend in the middle of the street when an officer attempted to exit his vehicle. Police said Brown pushed the officer back into the police car.

Brown then entered the officer's vehicle and a struggle ensued over the officer's weapon, according to police. During the altercation a shot was fired inside the car.

The officer and Brown then exited the vehicle and at that point the fatal shooting occurred, Belmar said. Brown was shot "more than just a couple of times," but it was unclear how many shots were fired, the chief said."

I definitely don't like the sound of that story, but it seems more likely than the other versions I've read. So if I have to answer with a simple yes or no, I would have to say yes.

But again, I would like a further examination before clearing the cop of wrongdoing. Seems like another person died that didn't need to.

Stupidnewbie - Here is the actual police statement.

"The police on Sunday said they were still trying to sort out the exact details, but they released what they said was the fullest account of the shooting that they could provide. Just after noon on Saturday, the police said, an officer in a patrol car approached Mr. Brown and another man. As the officer began to leave his vehicle, one of the men pushed the officer back into the car and "physically assaulted" him, according to the police department's account.

A struggle occurred "over the officer's weapon," and at least one shot was fired inside the car, Chief Belmar said. The two left the car, and the officer shot Mr. Brown about 35 feet away from the vehicle, the police reported. Several shots were fired from the officer's weapon."

lol @ that account. Man, do they really think people are stupid enough to believe that shit????

angryinch - 
Stupidnewbie - Here is the actual police statement.

lol @ that account. Man, do they really think people are stupid enough to believe that shit????

care to elaborate?

angryinch, please present facts that contradict the department's story. You seem to know something we don't.

No agency investigates its own shootings. The District Attorney's office, along with state police agency in some cases, will conduct the investigation. Additionally, some agencies also use a civilian oversight committee in critical incident investigations.