The ‘Sweet Science’ - The UG’s Boxing Thread!

Tomato Can -
Barry_BondsMVP - 
Tomato Can - Garcia is very legit. His level of competition has been stagnant ever since he fought Velez, but that's understandable considering he beat Velez at age 19 which is ridiculous.

Javier Fortuna would be a real nice step-up fight for him. Skilled veteran who would test his boxing and probably try to rough him up a bit.

Sounds like he’s getting Linares next 

Didn’t Linares move to 140?

https://www.boxing247.com/boxing-news/de-la-hoya-ryan-garcia-vs-jorge-linares-in-july-at-staples-center-in-los-angeles/143731/amp

Looks like Linares already moved back to 135 and I wasn’t aware. He got blown out by Cano at 140 but should still be a very stiff test for Garcia.

Tomato Can - Looks like Linares already moved back to 135 and I wasn't aware. He got blown out by Cano at 140 but should still be a very stiff test for Garcia.

It’ll be a good test for Garcia 

Hopkins cracks me up 

Bernard Hopkins, Devin Haney Trade Words Over Ryan Garcia Fight

Posted by
BoxingScene.com on Saturday, February 15, 2020

This is the first fight of blairs that I have seen, got rocked hard an has a flashy style but has a bit of mongrel in him, good shit

Caleb Plant is the goods. I know the guy Caleb beat was a limited fighter although he was game and tough as fuck so props to him for that but it’s pretty obvious Caleb has all the skills and physical attributes needed. He might be the best guy at 168.

Stern -

Caleb Plant is the goods. I know the guy Caleb beat was a limited fighter although he was game and tough as fuck so props to him for that but it’s pretty obvious Caleb has all the skills and physical attributes needed. He might be the best guy at 168.

He looked incredible but started to get a little cute there.  Leaving himself open and turning.   Maybe out of it being so easy 

Bukkaked by Bombers -

This is the first fight of blairs that I have seen, got rocked hard an has a flashy style but has a bit of mongrel in him, good shit

Seems like he’s entertaining, can’t see him as a champion or anything 

Canelo vs Plant make it happen 

Barry_BondsMVP -
Bukkaked by Bombers -

Just a fun fighter to watch, gets hit to easy for the killers

Bukkaked by Bombers -
Barry_BondsMVP -
Bukkaked by Bombers -

Just a fun fighter to watch, gets hit to easy for the killers

Agreed, thanks for sharing 

Plant is legit but these first 2 title defenses have been against really weak opponents. I hope next time out he steps it up.

Barry_BondsMVP -
arc123 -
Barry_BondsMVP -

Any of the UK guys on here hear why Callum Smith turned down a Canelo fight?

Same with anything in boxing, money. Smith and Saunders both after the fight but think golden boy is likely offering fuck all to take it. Easy from the outside to say take the fight still, cos if either win then they’re made, but if they lose (which is highly likely if they fight in Vegas) then could massively impact their careers for not enough compensation. 

monry rules unfortunately 

Do you believe they were offered 3x more than they’ve made in previous fights?

I have no idea what they’ve been offered, I’m not trying to defend their decisions - it surprised me that Smith turned it down. 

arc123 -
Barry_BondsMVP -
arc123 -
Barry_BondsMVP -

Any of the UK guys on here hear why Callum Smith turned down a Canelo fight?

Same with anything in boxing, money. Smith and Saunders both after the fight but think golden boy is likely offering fuck all to take it. Easy from the outside to say take the fight still, cos if either win then they’re made, but if they lose (which is highly likely if they fight in Vegas) then could massively impact their careers for not enough compensation. 

monry rules unfortunately 

Do you believe they were offered 3x more than they’ve made in previous fights?

I have no idea what they’ve been offered, I’m not trying to defend their decisions - it surprised me that Smith turned it down. 

Yea I agree, I was hoping to see Canelo vs Callum or Sanders 

I thought that Plant’s range and timing looked great. I also like how he really controlled the fight with his left. His jab was great and he had some nice jab, hook, left uppercut combos.

However, if I was training him, I saw one or two things that I would tell him he needed to work on. If I was training his opponent, I could give him one or two things to try and exploit. They may not work, but at least they would have something to try.

Feigenbutz on the other hand, while tough and in shape, never changed tactics the whole fight. He was obviously outclassed in the first two rounds and never changed game plans or made Plant try anything different.

I need to see Plant against a fighter that makes him adjust before I am willing to put him at the top of the division.

Plant vs. Ryder would be a good fight. Ryder kinda got robbed against Smith and he deserves another shot at a title. He’d be Plant’s best opponent to date.

What would you tell your fighter to try and exploit Dory?

Plant really liked that little reverse pivot to his right and then going off to his right. I’d tell my fighter to try a wide right to the body when he did it and then to crowd in. I’d tell him to try to get behind the elbow.

Now, if he did this, he is quite likely to hit Plant on the back and he might get a warning for it. But Plant is turning his back in a sense. Also, if he used this wide right to stop him and then move in he could get Plant off balance with his back to my fighter. I

If I was Feigenbutz’s trainer, I would have ha him make Plant come to him some with the plan of slipping the lead jab to get in close. That i easier said than done, but coming straight forward or standing in front of Caleb wasn’t working for him.

If I was Plant’s trainer, I’d make him get his chin down an inch or so. He could have done everything he did with his chin lower. It didn’t cost him in this fight, but his chin was too high.

That reverse pivot I am speaking of effectively takes away any left from Plant’s opponent. It also puts him in position to slip a straight right or to go under a right hook to the head and get an angle on an opponent. Plant keeps his left arm low in the old style defense to guard his side and the body, but a wide hard right can get behind that elbow, stop his momentum, and allow a fighter to get on on him and offbalance him. Kidney shot be damned.