The ‘Sweet Science’ - The UG’s Boxing Thread!

What can Wilder really do differently other than get lucky with that right hand?

1 Like

Barry kind of odd earlier tonight I was thinking about Wilder’s gym, manager etc.

Not in a negative way but more of a I remember people with boxing experience and backgrounds always talked about “the guy is a sports reporter, knows nothing bout boxing”

Comments similar to these, but I looked at it now as though " may be true but he has made it to a higher level of boxing than any of these critics."

Now that is because one day Wilder walked into the gym. But the gym had to be in the game to have the chance to ever meet a Wilder. Earlier tonight I was thinking of it as an example of it pays off to take chances, if you like something do it, good things may happen.

All that said listening to Andre Ward talk about the lack of work in the corner while Deontay was hurt made me think about the lack of experience at this level. Or lack of background rather. Not talking bout Breland here at all. But more the lack of cornering and working with a hurt fighter.

I don’t think it would have made a difference tonight. But interesting to see the circle.

That was some performance. Gotta be Fury and AJ next, in a stadium in the UK.  I just got out of a bar filled with Brits, I am now covered more in beer that I was able to drink.  Gotta clean up before I go to my home town stadium to see Queen and Adam Lambert in a few hours. Not sure I'll be in the condition to go to work tomorrow...

Wilder seemed totally unprepared for Fury’s aggression.

stillmatic - Wilder seemed totally unprepared for Fury's aggression.

That and the utter lack of fear for his right hand.

williepep - Barry kind of odd earlier tonight I was thinking about Wilder's gym, manager etc.

Not in a negative way but more of a I remember people with boxing experience and backgrounds always talked about “the guy is a sports reporter, knows nothing bout boxing”

Comments similar to these, but I looked at it now as though " may be true but he has made it to a higher level of boxing than any of these critics."

Now that is because one day Wilder walked into the gym. But the gym had to be in the game to have the chance to ever meet a Wilder. Earlier tonight I was thinking of it as an example of it pays off to take chances, if you like something do it, good things may happen.

All that said listening to Andre Ward talk about the lack of work in the corner while Deontay was hurt made me think about the lack of experience at this level. Or lack of background rather. Not talking bout Breland here at all. But more the lack of cornering and working with a hurt fighter.

I don’t think it would have made a difference tonight. But interesting to see the circle.

Sometimes a coach can take you so far, these guys feel loyal to their coaches and don’t want to drop them. But Wilder hasn’t improved at all, he looked terrible from the feints and pressure. He’s too old to learn the basics, basically just cash out now. 

1 Like

I thought the same thing while watching the fight and it looked to me that although they have fought,Wilder was surprised by how strong Fury was on the inside. Maybe the extra weight or maybe I was just imagine it. Now I picked Fury to win but I absolutely did not expect him to win by walking Wilder,one of the and you could argue the hardest punchers to ever exist,the fuck down. 

Randy Watson - 

I am sure there are better examples, but is this a little bit like the firs time someone backed up Tyson ? I know Tyson was slipping technically especially defensive by the point that Riddick got to him, but seemed like once the aura was gone and people stopped "fighting scared " there was a better shot at beating him.

1 Like
williepep -
Randy Watson - 

I am sure there are better examples, but is this a little bit like the firs time someone backed up Tyson ? I know Tyson was slipping technically especially defensive by the point that Riddick got to him, but seemed like once the aura was gone and people stopped "fighting scared " there was a better shot at beating him.

Remember that and also remember Holyfield's (in the first fight?) corner telling him in between rounds, "you be the bully".

I think Haymon knew what he had in wilder. Barely got a way with a draw in the first fight. He’s gonna cash him in with this rematch. His defense is beginner level. He has no idea how to tuck his elbows in and catch shots when pressured, much less counter back. The extra weight he put on took away the other advantage he usually has, and that’s being in better shape. Kudos to him for making it a far as he has with his limited skill set. I think him and AJ would still be a good fight. Both have flaws. 

Dory - I had GGG winning both bouts against Alvarez.

As to Fury vs Wilder, I really expect Fury to take the fight to the inside. It wouldn’t surprise me if roughing up Wilder on the inside takes Wilder off his game.

You beat a puncher by not letting him hit you or by taking away his power. In the first two rounds, Tyson used good feints to set up his own jabs and combinations. He boxed to his own right, away from Wilder’s right hand. You can see this by the way Wilder and Fury were fencing with their jabs early in the fight. Fury did go to Wilder’s right when he was coming in with his own combinations and had Wilder backing up. He knew that Wilder would have a hard time throwing a good right hand while backing up. Once Fury hurt Wilder in the third, he crowded Wilder, roughed him up, and tired him out with the clinch. By crowding Wilder and tiring him out, Fury took away Wilder’s power. Fury could then load up his own shots with little fear.

Dory -
Dory - I had GGG winning both bouts against Alvarez.

As to Fury vs Wilder, I really expect Fury to take the fight to the inside. It wouldn’t surprise me if roughing up Wilder on the inside takes Wilder off his game.

You beat a puncher by not letting him hit you or by taking away his power. In the first two rounds, Tyson used good feints to set up his own jabs and combinations. He boxed to his own right, away from Wilder’s right hand. You can see this by the way Wilder and Fury were fencing with their jabs early in the fight. Fury did go to Wilder’s right when he was coming in with his own combinations and had Wilder backing up. He knew that Wilder would have a hard time throwing a good right hand while backing up. Once Fury hurt Wilder in the third, he crowded Wilder, roughed him up, and tired him out with the clinch. By crowding Wilder and tiring him out, Fury took away Wilder’s power. Fury could then load up his own shots with little fear.

Exactly. He put wilder on his back foot and took away wilder’s leverage and then after that first knockdown I don’t think wilder ever ‘woke’ back up 

Apparently the head trainer told breland to not throw the towel and breland waited til the guy wasn’t looking and then threw the towel

thats why he threw it from there and didn’t go to the apron. He didn’t want to give the guy a chance to stop him. Now the head trainer is pissy with breland 

Wilder needs new trainers anyways. He should of gotten with Emanuel Steward’s nephew. 

Wilder is going to exercise his rematch clause, claims his 45 pound suite he wore weakened his legs lol. Come on bruh. 

It was a good stoppage by Breland. He protected his fighter from further punishment with the outcome all but inevitable at that point. A corner stoppage is better than a KO or ref stoppage from a marketing perspective for the third fight. 

Fury fought a great fight. I picked Wilder and was rooting for him, but I was happy they stopped the fight. Wilder looked like he could get seriously hurt in there if it kept going. I thought he was done a couple round before they stopped it. Wilder shower huge heart but Fury put a beating on him.

IronHands -

It was a good stoppage by Breland. He protected his fighter from further punishment with the outcome all but inevitable at that point. A corner stoppage is better than a KO or ref stoppage from a marketing perspective for the third fight. 

He cut ties with Breland because of it

Breland really improved Wilder’s boxing and he looked out for his safety. It is a shame that they let him go.

Barry_BondsMVP -

Wilder is going to exercise his rematch clause, claims his 45 pound suite he wore weakened his legs lol. Come on bruh. 

Holy shit that is hilarious. That’s one of the more creative excuses I’ve heard. Maybe the best since Haye’s toe