The ‘Sweet Science’ - The UG’s Boxing Thread!

Stern -

That Madrimov is a god damn beast

Missed it. What happened? I took him in the 4th round in my pool as well.

Glad Chocolatito was able to get the KO win. What a fighter he is

Stern -

I was glad to see Chocolatito comeback looking recharged. I was worried about him before he even was knocked out. He has a lot of hard miles on him. I still wish he'd call it a career. He looked energetic tonight, but he was in charge pretty much from the start. I question if he's ready for anymore wars, and definitely don't want to see him in anymore. I know it won't be, but this would be a great fight to call his last.

sgotwalks -
Stern -

He beat the hell out of some dude. Stopped him in 6. Not that the guy was any good or anything but just the obvious talent and ability Madrimov has. I’m fairly confident he’ll be world champion.

That fight was a WBA title eliminator for whatever reason so he might fight Lara next. Even though he’s not very experienced as a pro I think he’d fuck Lara up. 

Garcia has looked like garbage at this weight. He looked fairly mediocre at 140 as well, really no idea why they thought going to 147 was a good idea.

Stern -
sgotwalks -
Stern -

He beat the hell out of some dude. Stopped him in 6. Not that the guy was any good or anything but just the obvious talent and ability Madrimov has. I’m fairly confident he’ll be world champion.

That fight was a WBA title eliminator for whatever reason so he might fight Lara next. Even though he’s not very experienced as a pro I think he’d fuck Lara up. 

Thanks Stern. Appreciate the low down.

stillmatic - Garcia has looked like garbage at this weight. He looked fairly mediocre at 140 as well, really no idea why they thought going to 147 was a good idea.

Second fight at welterweight, night is young. Let's see.

stillmatic - Garcia has looked like garbage at this weight. He looked fairly mediocre at 140 as well, really no idea why they thought going to 147 was a good idea.

Huh? HUH?!!

boxing wiz -
Stern -

I was glad to see Chocolatito comeback looking recharged. I was worried about him before he even was knocked out. He has a lot of hard miles on him. I still wish he'd call it a career. He looked energetic tonight, but he was in charge pretty much from the start. I question if he's ready for anymore wars, and definitely don't want to see him in anymore. I know it won't be, but this would be a great fight to call his last.

Yeah I thought Roman looked pretty good although I don’t think all that highly of Kal. Irregardless I’ve been fairly impressed that Roman has been able to bounce back after that Rungvisai KO. That was a really nasty knockout.

sgotwalks - 

Huh? HUH?!!

He’s not beating a top 147 fighter based on this even if he manages to win.

sgotwalks -
Stern -
sgotwalks -
Stern -

Thanks Stern. Appreciate the low down.

No problem

stillmatic - 
sgotwalks - 

Huh? HUH?!!

You can probably count on 1 hand guys who won a title at 126 and then went up became a top contender at 147. If you can do that you’re generally an ATG. And Mikey, as good as he is, isn’t on the level of Mayweather/Pacquiao/Marquez.

Tomato Can - 
stillmatic - 
sgotwalks - 

Huh? HUH?!!

You can probably count on 1 hand guys who won a title at 126 and then went up became a top contender at 147. If you can do that you’re generally an ATG. And Mikey, as good as he is, isn’t on the level of Mayweather/Pacquiao/Marquez.

Not really a knock against him, because there are some really competitive fights for him at 140 and below.

Absolutely, problem was down at 135 the fight with Lomachenko couldn’t get made because Mikey and Top Rank won’t work together any more, but I still wish he’d go back down there since he could always fight Tank or Haney. Or Prograis at 140.

He doesn’t want to cut weight or live that type of always dieting life Mayweather said fuck it and went to 147 and literally at in n out burgers in training camp

Mayweather was good enough to do that, and Mayweather also is a ridiculous training junkie who always stays in ridiculous shape. Again, Mikey ain’t that.

Mikey CAN easily make 140lbs with good dieting. He just doesn't seem to want to desire to do it anymore. The best version of Mikey Garcia is at 135lbs, at 140lbs he is still one of the very best. He gives his opponents too many advantages over him. Mikey is rarely the quicker/faster guy, and then to give up the height and reach to guys at 147lbs makes it really tough. He can still be most guys at welterweight, but their very best guys ( Spence and Crawford) are too much for him. We'll see if he can find more passion to get back to 140lbs and maybe fight Taylor or Prograis. I think Danny Garcia is a very likely opponent for Mikey.

https://youtu.be/NzJlaNp5r5g

boxing wiz - 

Mikey CAN easily make 140lbs with good dieting. He just doesn't seem to want to desire to do it anymore. The best version of Mikey Garcia is at 135lbs, at 140lbs he is still one of the very best. He gives his opponents too many advantages over him. Mikey is rarely the quicker/faster guy, and then to give up the height and reach to guys at 147lbs makes it really tough. He can still be most guys at welterweight, but their very best guys ( Spence and Crawford) are too much for him. We'll see if he can find more passion to get back to 140lbs and maybe fight Taylor or Prograis. I think Danny Garcia is a very likely opponent for Mikey.

I think he’d be good at 140 and I think I’d pick him against anyone there except Taylor. But he just doesn’t seem to have the drive of an elite athlete. He’s in it solely for the paycheck.

Assuming he stick around at 147 (which seems likely) I wouldn’t mind seeing him fight Thurman.

Didn’t scroll back but did anyone see the jay Harris- Martinez fight?  That was a damn fine fight. Martinez is a beast but my lord the guts of harris